Posted to alt.home.repair

Default adjutable shelving system

On a kitchen wall I want to put some shelves- 4" or so deep-

The space is about 48" wide & high-- and I want to put 3 vertical
strips but keep them hidden-- and I'd like to be able to slide the
shelves horizontally.

Something like this-- but with floating shelves;
http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Stan...lay_Shelf/210/

Should I just build each shelf-- or is there some hardware that will
get me there easily?

Thanks-
Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
On a kitchen wall I want to put some shelves- 4" or so deep-

"Ajutable" shelves might need an attorney to install. (-:

The space is about 48" wide & high-- and I want to put 3 vertical
strips but keep them hidden-- and I'd like to be able to slide the
shelves horizontally.

Something like this-- but with floating shelves;
http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Stan...lay_Shelf/210/

I think I know what you mean by floating shelves but I want to be sure. ?

Should I just build each shelf-- or is there some hardware that will
get me there easily?

I don't know how the shelving system at that website is braced - I can't see
that kind of detail which lately I have found frustrating in a number of
internet purchases. Are the standards notched? Is there hidden metal
bracing? I've seen such shelves with a groove cut on the underside to
accommodate a bracing/tensioning threaded rod that screws into the standard.

The shelves in that image just don't seem to have adequate support. I can't
figure out how wide the shelves or standards are or how they are joined. I
know that you've used this just for an example but it sounds like you want a
vertical slotted standard type shelf support but want to conceal it so the
slots aren't visible.

I am not sure I know of any such hardware. I consider myself pretty
knowledgeable about the heavy duty steel shelving systems that you should
use to support anything you'd like not to get broken, having been burned by
slight differences between ClosetMaid, Duratek and a few other shelf makers.
But I am sure that a whole host of cabinet-making sites have some pretty
complex shelving hardware that might just fit your needs.

I hope that helps but I am pretty sure it didn't. Such is Usenet. Tell me
what you mean by "floating" and I can help confuse things further. Or
farther. I was never quite sure about those two words. I think farther
refers to physical distances and further to figurative distances.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Aug 2013 04:13:48 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
.. .
On a kitchen wall I want to put some shelves- 4" or so deep-

"Ajutable" shelves might need an attorney to install. (-:

Saw that this morning-- Does any software spell-check the subject
line, or I am I supposed to read it before I post? g

-snip-

Something like this-- but with floating shelves;
http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Stan...lay_Shelf/210/

I think I know what you mean by floating shelves but I want to be sure. ?

I want the vertical supports and the brackets to be as invisible as
possible. The brackets don't necessarily have to be invisible--
but I don't want them interfering with the shelf-space below.

Should I just build each shelf-- or is there some hardware that will
get me there easily?

I don't know how the shelving system at that website is braced - I can't see
that kind of detail which lately I have found frustrating in a number of
internet purchases. Are the standards notched? Is there hidden metal
bracing? I've seen such shelves with a groove cut on the underside to
accommodate a bracing/tensioning threaded rod that screws into the standard.

That was more to illustrate how I want the shelves to appear-- narrow
shelves, that 'wander' left and right. And I'd like to be able to
move them from the original setup.

The shelves in that image just don't seem to have adequate support. I can't
figure out how wide the shelves or standards are or how they are joined. I
know that you've used this just for an example but it sounds like you want a
vertical slotted standard type shelf support but want to conceal it so the
slots aren't visible.

I can blend the slots in with paint and 'stuff' on the shelves-- the
brackets are the bugaboo on all the systems I've run across since I
started looking this time. Seems like I saw more 'invisible' ones a
decade or 2 ago when I was looking for another system.

-snip-

I hope that helps but I am pretty sure it didn't. Such is Usenet. Tell me
what you mean by "floating" and I can help confuse things further. Or
farther. I was never quite sure about those two words. I think farther
refers to physical distances and further to figurative distances.

Lettuce hope that we have further confused folks into the farthest
reaches of confusion.

Thanks-
Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

The OP wrote:

I want the vertical supports and the brackets to be as invisible as
possible. The brackets don't necessarily have to be invisible--
but I don't want them interfering with the shelf-space below.

It doesn't have decorator aesthetics, but the best solution might be to
use conventional metal angle irons to support the shelves. If you just
rest the shelf on the horizontal arm of the angle iron, it can be
shifted left-right (as you seem to desire), but will only reduce the
headroom of the shelf below by about 1/8" at most. The major problem
might be forward creep of the shelf, allowing small items to fall off
the back, or worst case - the shelf falling entirely off the bracket.
If the shelf is wood, maybe you can use thumb tacks through the holes
from underneath the horizontal arms of the brackets to keep the shelves
from creeping but allow for easy removal and repositioning of a shelf.
Not elegant, but a potential solution to your requirement.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 20:51:11 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

On a kitchen wall I want to put some shelves- 4" or so deep-

The space is about 48" wide & high-- and I want to put 3 vertical
strips but keep them hidden-- and I'd like to be able to slide the
shelves horizontally.

Something like this-- but with floating shelves;
http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Stan...lay_Shelf/210/

Should I just build each shelf-- or is there some hardware that will
get me there easily?

These are nice, but expensive. Can't see how the thickness adjustment
works, but maybe if you get it right you can slide the shelves.
http://tinyurl.com/mxvyago
Very unobtrusive. Just seem expensive to me.
These cut the cost in half.
http://tinyurl.com/mqqmxmz

No personal knowledge about how good these are, but is you're looking
for low profile, they fit the bill.
If you want vertical adjustment, you'd have to add them to where you
want the shelf location to adjust to. Wouldn't be as "adjustable" as
the typical rails/brackets system, but easier to hide these than
rails.
Otherwise, a typical rail system. But most I've seen are for wider
shelves.
Here's a 4"
http://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalo...hp?p_ref=37082

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
On a kitchen wall I want to put some shelves- 4" or so deep-

"Ajutable" shelves might need an attorney to install. (-:

Saw that this morning-- Does any software spell-check the subject
line, or I am I supposed to read it before I post? g

Yes Thunderbird does.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/6/2013 5:51 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On a kitchen wall I want to put some shelves- 4" or so deep-

The space is about 48" wide & high-- and I want to put 3 vertical
strips but keep them hidden-- and I'd like to be able to slide the
shelves horizontally.

Something like this-- but with floating shelves;
http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Stan...lay_Shelf/210/

Should I just build each shelf-- or is there some hardware that will
get me there easily?

Thanks-
Jim

you're looking for something like this

http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware...=3,43648,43649

but they're not adjustable

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
.. .
On a kitchen wall I want to put some shelves- 4" or so deep-

"Ajutable" shelves might need an attorney to install. (-:

Saw that this morning-- Does any software spell-check the subject
line, or I am I supposed to read it before I post? g

Thunderbird and another (whose name just evaporated) do, but both are memory
hogs on my machines. They do have a lot of nice features and *wonderful*
integration with providers like Google and Yahoo mail, downloading copies of
everything to YOUR machine, IIRC. Worth gold to people who need it.

-snip-

?

I want the vertical supports and the brackets to be as invisible as
possible. The brackets don't necessarily have to be invisible--
but I don't want them interfering with the shelf-space below.

That's tough for shelves that will have to carry any weight. I believe I've
see fairly invisible glass (could have be Lucite) brackets that looked like
they were floating. If you squinted a little.

Should I just build each shelf-- or is there some hardware that will
get me there easily?

I don't know how the shelving system at that website is braced - I can't

see
that kind of detail which lately I have found frustrating in a number of
internet purchases. Are the standards notched? Is there hidden metal
bracing? I've seen such shelves with a groove cut on the underside to
accommodate a bracing/tensioning threaded rod that screws into the

standard.

That was more to illustrate how I want the shelves to appear-- narrow
shelves, that 'wander' left and right. And I'd like to be able to
move them from the original setup.

That's a tall order. I used to dislike seeing the twin rows of slots on the
Duratek shelving I use. So I just made sure all my shelves have enough
stuff on them to block anyone from seeing the slots. (-:

The shelves in that image just don't seem to have adequate support. I

can't
figure out how wide the shelves or standards are or how they are joined.

know that you've used this just for an example but it sounds like you

want a
vertical slotted standard type shelf support but want to conceal it so

the
slots aren't visible.

I can blend the slots in with paint and 'stuff' on the shelves-- the
brackets are the bugaboo on all the systems I've run across since I
started looking this time. Seems like I saw more 'invisible' ones a
decade or 2 ago when I was looking for another system.

I started looking and realized that the Internet was peculiarly *unsuited*
to evaluating things that you can't see, like invisible shelving supports.
I have seen a number of apparently invisible shelves but AFAICT they must
have an embedded metal T brace built into the support and it's hidden inside
the shelf standard with the base of the T jutting outward. That extension
seems to support the shelf with the T brace embedded in a probably in a long
hole or cut-out channel. IOW, not adjustable.

The free bookshelf that came with an in-home preview of the print version of
the Encyclopedia Britannica was constructed like that with embedded
screw-rods for bracing.

-snip-

I hope that helps but I am pretty sure it didn't. Such is Usenet. Tell

me
what you mean by "floating" and I can help confuse things further. Or
farther. I was never quite sure about those two words. I think farther
refers to physical distances and further to figurative distances.

Lettuce hope that we have further confused folks into the farthest
reaches of confusion.

I don't give a farthing. (-:

(You know that some reader is giggling to himself "He wrote 'fart'")

Seriously, though, I'll make sure to look around when I am at a place that
sells shelving where I can open up the package and look inside.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art Todesco" wrote in message news:kttp70$nhp$1@dont-

stuff snipped

Saw that this morning-- Does any software spell-check the subject
line, or I am I supposed to read it before I post? g

Yes Thunderbird does.

Now Art, you know as a fellow X10 user/sufferer that I love you dearly, but
if anything ever needed major snippage, it was your one liner. I had to
search a few times to find your comment. I've seen a lot of pretty serious
and embarrassing subject line spelling errors in corporate communications
and OE, at least, doesn't make it easy to spell check those subject lines.

Something tells me that the design team was well aware of the problem but
had to deliver the product by a certain deadline and spelling checking for
subject lines was never executed or perhaps could never be debugged. OE has
lots of known errors that have propagated into later version indicating most
upgrades are just a new shade of lipstick on the same old dog.

--
Bobby G.

generic name for shelving system Mathias KÅ‘rber Home Repair 3 March 30th 13 10:21 PM
Shelving system Stephen Gower UK diy 5 June 21st 09 09:05 PM
Shelving system: new to me [email protected] Woodworking 0 March 7th 07 01:45 AM
Element shelving system in Salford/Manchester JustMe UK diy 3 December 18th 05 09:31 PM
shelving Sharma UK diy 9 November 18th 03 07:34 AM