Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default adjutable shelving system

On 8/7/2013 8:59 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Wed, 7 Aug 2013 04:13:48 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
On a kitchen wall I want to put some shelves- 4" or so deep-

"Ajutable" shelves might need an attorney to install. (-:

Saw that this morning-- Does any software spell-check the subject
line, or I am I supposed to read it before I post? g

Yes Thunderbird does.

Something like this-- but with floating shelves;
http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Stan...lay_Shelf/210/

I think I know what you mean by floating shelves but I want to be sure. ?

I want the vertical supports and the brackets to be as invisible as
possible. The brackets don't necessarily have to be invisible--
but I don't want them interfering with the shelf-space below.

Should I just build each shelf-- or is there some hardware that will
get me there easily?

I don't know how the shelving system at that website is braced - I can't see
that kind of detail which lately I have found frustrating in a number of
internet purchases. Are the standards notched? Is there hidden metal
bracing? I've seen such shelves with a groove cut on the underside to
accommodate a bracing/tensioning threaded rod that screws into the standard.

That was more to illustrate how I want the shelves to appear-- narrow
shelves, that 'wander' left and right. And I'd like to be able to
move them from the original setup.

The shelves in that image just don't seem to have adequate support. I can't
figure out how wide the shelves or standards are or how they are joined. I
know that you've used this just for an example but it sounds like you want a
vertical slotted standard type shelf support but want to conceal it so the
slots aren't visible.

I can blend the slots in with paint and 'stuff' on the shelves-- the
brackets are the bugaboo on all the systems I've run across since I
started looking this time. Seems like I saw more 'invisible' ones a
decade or 2 ago when I was looking for another system.

-snip-

I hope that helps but I am pretty sure it didn't. Such is Usenet. Tell me
what you mean by "floating" and I can help confuse things further. Or
farther. I was never quite sure about those two words. I think farther
refers to physical distances and further to figurative distances.

Lettuce hope that we have further confused folks into the farthest
reaches of confusion.

Thanks-
Jim