Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sears power tool parts

I"ve got an Craftsman bench grinder I bought over 30+ years ago. Needs
a replacement for one of the eyeshelds. When I go to the searsparts
website and look up the model number it finds it but they no longer
carry that part. So I looked at some of their current bench grinders
and it looked like maybe the eye shields on them might fit. So I
copied the model number of the ones they are SELLING NOW and plugged
it into the parts site and it doesn't find anything for that model
number - like the grinder doesn't even exist. Does that mean sears is
no longer going to provide parts for their stuff?
Posted to alt.home.repair

many new items are sold with no parts available

I bought a brand new Sears 8 HP chipper around 800 bucks and wore out the tree chiiping blade in a month, it was a severe service event nearly trimmed forest.

i was unable to get chipper blade parts and after it being at their service depot for perhaps 6 months my complaints finally got me a whole new chipper, they sent the old one to the trash compactor.. i offered them a 100 bucks for it but they refused. both chippers were the same exact model

i tried ordering a extra chipper blade set but was unable to buy the part. if you ask me this is stupid....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/6/2013 8:18 PM, bob haller wrote:
many new items are sold with no parts available

I bought a brand new Sears 8 HP chipper around 800 bucks and wore out
the tree chiiping blade in a month, it was a severe service event
nearly trimmed forest.

i was unable to get chipper blade parts and after it being at their
service depot for perhaps 6 months my complaints finally got me a
whole new chipper, they sent the old one to the trash compactor.. i
offered them a 100 bucks for it but they refused. both chippers were
the same exact model

i tried ordering a extra chipper blade set but was unable to buy the
part. if you ask me this is stupid....

I wonder if a machine shop could make one for you? I know guys with CNC
machines that can take a hunk of any metal and through the use of magic,
can turn out anything. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Aug 2013 18:18:06 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

many new items are sold with no parts available

I bought a brand new Sears 8 HP chipper around 800 bucks and wore out the tree chiiping blade in a month, it was a severe service event nearly trimmed forest.

i was unable to get chipper blade parts and after it being at their service depot for perhaps 6 months my complaints finally got me a whole new chipper, they sent the old one to the trash compactor.. i offered them a 100 bucks for it but they refused. both chippers were the same exact model

i tried ordering a extra chipper blade set but was unable to buy the part. if you ask me this is stupid....

That's what I suspected. Their new stuff has the old Craftsman name
and paint colors but looks a lot like it was made by the same
company(s) that make stuff for harbor Freight. I tried getting some
extra blades for something at harbor freight once and I must have
been the only person who ever asked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ashton Crusher wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Actually not. There was ONE other person. Came in where I worked and
wanted a blade for a Chicago something or other. Some retarded arbor
size. Told him it was a HF tool. He'd have to contact HF online because
there are none in this state.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've seen exploded parts diagrams for HF tools, and Craftsman is good
about the online data. But, to not have parts (like chipper blades)
available? Sounds like a bad corporate decision some where up the line.
Old folks like me, we desire to have replacement parts available.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/7/2013 4:02 AM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

That's what I suspected. Their new stuff has the old Craftsman name
and paint colors but looks a lot like it was made by the same
company(s) that make stuff for harbor Freight. I tried getting some
extra blades for something at harbor freight once and I must have
been the only person who ever asked.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 6, 2013 5:18:12 PM UTC-7, Ashton Crusher wrote:
I"ve got an Craftsman bench grinder I bought over 30+ years ago. Needs

a replacement for one of the eyeshelds. When I go to the searsparts

website and look up the model number it finds it but they no longer

carry that part. So I looked at some of their current bench grinders

and it looked like maybe the eye shields on them might fit. So I

copied the model number of the ones they are SELLING NOW and plugged

it into the parts site and it doesn't find anything for that model

number - like the grinder doesn't even exist. Does that mean sears is

no longer going to provide parts for their stuff?

Sears didn’t even have the magnetron for one of their microwaves.
We’re all going to have to learn Chinese if we want any parts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I am predicting a long thread of mock Chinese names,
to follow. There is an old Chinese man who runs a
shop. Can't remember his phone number, but you should
be able to find him in the phone book.

His name is Nofu Kin Wei.

On a more serious note, sometimes other brand of item
can be made to work. Hoover attachments for a Bissel
carpet cleaner, for example. I've been looking for a
new tip for my 1994 Kenmore carpet cleaner, that I
think was made by Bissel. Just impossible to find.
A friend of mine borrowed it, and stepped on the
ancient, brittle plastic tip and broke it beyond
repair. I did find part of such a tip on Ebay, and
bought it.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/7/2013 6:37 AM, wrote:

and it looked like maybe the eye shields on them might fit. So I

copied the model number of the ones they are SELLING NOW and plugged

it into the parts site and it doesn't find anything for that model

number - like the grinder doesn't even exist. Does that mean sears is

no longer going to provide parts for their stuff?

Sears didn’t even have the magnetron for one of their microwaves.
We’re all going to have to learn Chinese if we want any parts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 6, 2013 7:18:12 PM UTC-5, Ashton Crusher wrote:
I"ve got an Craftsman bench grinder I bought over 30+ years ago. Needs

a replacement for one of the eyeshelds. When I go to the searsparts

website and look up the model number it finds it but they no longer

carry that part. So I looked at some of their current bench grinders

and it looked like maybe the eye shields on them might fit. So I

copied the model number of the ones they are SELLING NOW and plugged

it into the parts site and it doesn't find anything for that model

number - like the grinder doesn't even exist. Does that mean sears is

no longer going to provide parts for their stuff?

What is the thickness? Could you cut plexi and glass? Glass on the bottom of the sandwich.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I wonder if a machine shop could make one for you? I know guys with CNC
machines that can take a hunk of any metal and through the use of magic,
can turn out anything. ^_^

Yes, a good shop could make such a part. Starting from scratch, with no
jigs, and no plans, it shouldn't cost over $1000.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am extremely fortunate My best friend has a machine shop in his basement, with a foundry, he can melt and pour alunimum and brass, south bend lathe, welding if its metal he can do it...

right now he is building a 18 horse power scooter in his basement......

the only trouble he is 81......
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 7, 2013 7:09:40 AM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
I am extremely fortunate My best friend has a machine shop in his basement, with a foundry, he can melt and pour alunimum and brass, south bend lathe, welding if its metal he can do it...

right now he is building a 18 horse power scooter in his basement......

the only trouble he is 81......

Not sure how that is a problem...you don't think he's going to last? Count your blessings!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/2013 6:59 AM, David L. Martel wrote:
I wonder if a machine shop could make one for you? I know guys with CNC
machines that can take a hunk of any metal and through the use of magic,
can turn out anything. ^_^

Yes, a good shop could make such a part. Starting from scratch, with no
jigs, and no plans, it shouldn't cost over $1000.

Dave M.

I admit having no idea of the cost without asking one of the guys at the
machine shops I'm familiar with. I have had many parts made at machine
shops that weren't outrageously expensive but necessary because there
was no source for an OEM part. If a shop wants too much money for a job,
I'd try a school and speak to an instructor there and see if the
students would make the part as a project for their learning practical
machining. Trade schools in my area have had students repair vehicles
for low income folks referred to them by charitable organizations. It's
been many years since I had any contact with anyone involved so I don't
know if it's still done because of liability concerns due to the
litigious nature of modern society. o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/2013 5:37 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've seen exploded parts diagrams for HF tools, and Craftsman is good
about the online data. But, to not have parts (like chipper blades)
available? Sounds like a bad corporate decision some where up the line.
Old folks like me, we desire to have replacement parts available.

Old folks don't believe in disposable tools for some odd reason but I
did work for an electrical supplier 4 decades ago that was a Black &
Decker industrial power tool supplier. The B&D rep explained to us that
they were making two different 1/4" drills. One drill cost $100.00 and
the other was priced at $10.00. The reason was contractors had too many
$100.00 drills broken or stolen so they would buy a bunch of $10.00
drills and throw them away at the end of a job because the things were
worn out or broken. The contractors were pleased with the cost saving
afforded by the inexpensive tools which got the job done. I would assume
that contractors are now buying the equivalent of the $10.00 drill at
Harbor Freight instead of an industrial supply house. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

He gets senior discount, while riding his 18 HP scooter in and out of
the malls?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/7/2013 8:09 AM, bob haller wrote:
I am extremely fortunate My best friend has a machine shop in his basement, with a foundry, he can melt and pour alunimum and brass, south bend lathe, welding if its metal he can do it...

right now he is building a 18 horse power scooter in his basement......

the only trouble he is 81......

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/6/13 7:18 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
I"ve got an Craftsman bench grinder I bought over 30+ years ago. Needs
a replacement for one of the eyeshelds. When I go to the searsparts
website and look up the model number it finds it but they no longer
carry that part. So I looked at some of their current bench grinders
and it looked like maybe the eye shields on them might fit. So I
copied the model number of the ones they are SELLING NOW and plugged
it into the parts site and it doesn't find anything for that model
number - like the grinder doesn't even exist. Does that mean sears is
no longer going to provide parts for their stuff?

The local TruValue store used to get parts for tools. I got parts
for my DeWalt drill and maybe a Makita drill also from them. I have no
idea if they could get stuff that would fit Craftsman.
It's an Ace Hardware now so who knows what they would or could do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 7, 2013 7:13:55 PM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:

The local TruValue store used to get parts for tools. I got parts

for my DeWalt drill and maybe a Makita drill also from them. I have no

idea if they could get stuff that would fit Craftsman.

It's an Ace Hardware now so who knows what they would or could do.

If they know their "stuff" they may know who manufactured it for Sears and order the parts that way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
[...]

I need a part too. I have been using a wonderful light Sears battery weed
wacker. Replacement plastic blades are not available. It's only 2-3 years
old. I only have 1 1/2 left. I tried using wire, no good. A crimped piece
of regular string might work, but I need a ferrule of some sort.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
[...]

The blades have to be the right weight.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4r3AJEJPxk

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote:
gregz wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
[...]

See if this looks different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4r3AJEJPxk

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Bob_Villa wrote:

On Wednesday, August 7, 2013 7:13:55 PM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:

The local TruValue store used to get parts for tools. I got parts

for my DeWalt drill and maybe a Makita drill also from them. I have no

idea if they could get stuff that would fit Craftsman.

It's an Ace Hardware now so who knows what they would or could do.

If they know their "stuff" they may know who manufactured it for Sears and
order the parts that way.

Sears products often have a model number in the form of 123.45678. The
first digits represent the source or manufacturer. See
http://sears.pammar.net/maker.html or
http://vintagemachinery.org/craftsman/manufacturers.aspx.

If you can find a part number at the Sears PartsDirect website, it is
usually the manufacturer's part number. It is possible a part
discontinued by Sears, is still available from other sources.
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/index.action

Fred
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 08:34:19 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

[...]

My dad worked construction all his life and that was exactly what he
concluded after getting some of his very expensive tools stolen. He'd
buy a new skilsaw, for example, at the start of a job and throw it
away at the end. Next job would start with a new saw with a nice new
blade. He as just telling me last week about a $600 planner that got
stolen out of his truck years ago. He's moved it into the cab and
covered it up and they still came looking for it, didn't even damage
the truck jimmying the door.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Aug 2013 04:02:12 -0700 (PDT), Bob_Villa
wrote:

On Tuesday, August 6, 2013 7:18:12 PM UTC-5, Ashton Crusher wrote:
I"ve got an Craftsman bench grinder I bought over 30+ years ago. Needs

a replacement for one of the eyeshelds. When I go to the searsparts

website and look up the model number it finds it but they no longer

carry that part. So I looked at some of their current bench grinders

and it looked like maybe the eye shields on them might fit. So I

copied the model number of the ones they are SELLING NOW and plugged

it into the parts site and it doesn't find anything for that model

number - like the grinder doesn't even exist. Does that mean sears is

no longer going to provide parts for their stuff?

What is the thickness? Could you cut plexi and glass? Glass on the bottom of the sandwich.

I stopped by their store and it looks like the shields on the new ones
will work (with a couple washers to shim it) IF the parts dept carries
them - going to call them tomorrow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 00:29:30 -0400, Fred McKenzie
wrote:

In article ,
Bob_Villa wrote:

[...]

I got the part number right off the SALES side of the sears website.
Plugged it into the Parts side and nothing found. The guy at the
store claims the guys at the parts side have a different index and
might be able to look it up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

JH my roommate wonders why I lock any vehicle after getting out of it no
matter where I'm parked, even in front of the house. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message
I"ve got an Craftsman bench grinder I bought over 30+ years ago. Needs
a replacement for one of the eyeshelds. When I go to the searsparts
website and look up the model number it finds it but they no longer
carry that part. So I looked at some of their current bench grinders
and it looked like maybe the eye shields on them might fit. So I
copied the model number of the ones they are SELLING NOW and plugged
it into the parts site and it doesn't find anything for that model
number - like the grinder doesn't even exist. Does that mean sears is
no longer going to provide parts for their stuff?

Why look at sears parts website

craftsman parts website @

http://www.craftsman.com/
Services & Info
News
Service Live
http://www.servicelive.com/
Manage My Life
Sears Home Services
Product Registration

Assistance
View Virtual Catalog
Parts & Accessories

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...CraftSPDFooter
Repairs
Warranty
Shipping Options
Shopping Help
Site Map
Product Recalls

Posted to alt.home.repair

Inside job, maybe?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/8/2013 2:07 AM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
My dad worked construction all his life and that was exactly what he
concluded after getting some of his very expensive tools stolen. He'd
buy a new skilsaw, for example, at the start of a job and throw it
away at the end. Next job would start with a new saw with a nice new
blade. He as just telling me last week about a $600 planner that got
stolen out of his truck years ago. He's moved it into the cab and
covered it up and they still came looking for it, didn't even damage
the truck jimmying the door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I got so used to locking every vehicle that on the rare occasions when
I leave it unlocked because I'm just going to be away for 45 seconds I
always "unlock" it when I get back so not locking it is pointless.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 08:09:36 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Inside job, maybe?

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

On 8/8/2013 2:07 AM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
My dad worked construction all his life and that was exactly what he
concluded after getting some of his very expensive tools stolen. He'd
buy a new skilsaw, for example, at the start of a job and throw it
away at the end. Next job would start with a new saw with a nice new
blade. He as just telling me last week about a $600 planner that got
stolen out of his truck years ago. He's moved it into the cab and
covered it up and they still came looking for it, didn't even damage
the truck jimmying the door.

No, this was after he'd left the jobsite and headed over to the Horse
Track by himself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Aug 2013 03:48:43 -0600, "Hot-Text"
wrote:

"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message
.. .
I"ve got an Craftsman bench grinder I bought over 30+ years ago. Needs
a replacement for one of the eyeshelds. When I go to the searsparts
website and look up the model number it finds it but they no longer
carry that part. So I looked at some of their current bench grinders
and it looked like maybe the eye shields on them might fit. So I
copied the model number of the ones they are SELLING NOW and plugged
it into the parts site and it doesn't find anything for that model
number - like the grinder doesn't even exist. Does that mean sears is
no longer going to provide parts for their stuff?

Why look at sears parts website

craftsman parts website @

http://www.craftsman.com/

That just redirects you to the same sears parts site when you click
their parts link.

Services & Info
News
Service Live
http://www.servicelive.com/
Manage My Life
Sears Home Services
Product Registration

Assistance
View Virtual Catalog
Parts & Accessories

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...CraftSPDFooter
Repairs
Warranty
Shipping Options
Shopping Help
Site Map
Product Recalls

Posted to alt.home.repair

So, you conclude that none of his coworkers, employees,
or job site brother tradesmen observed the planer and
made plans to steal it, because he had gone to the
horse track by himself? I really don't follow your
(curious) logic.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/8/2013 7:44 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 08:09:36 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Inside job, maybe?

No, this was after he'd left the jobsite and headed over to the Horse
Track by himself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 09 Aug 2013 01:03:34 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

So, you conclude that none of his coworkers, employees,
or job site brother tradesmen observed the planer and
made plans to steal it, because he had gone to the
horse track by himself? I really don't follow your
(curious) logic.

No, I see what you are saying, I'm saying there was no reason in his
mind to think his coworkers would have followed him to the track, not
that it can't be ruled out. It still wouldn't change the basic point,
easier to just buy disposable tools.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David L. Martel" wrote in message
I wonder if a machine shop could make one for you? I know guys with CNC
machines that can take a hunk of any metal and through the use of magic,
can turn out anything. ^_^

Yes, a good shop could make such a part. Starting from scratch, with

no
jigs, and no plans, it shouldn't cost over $1000.

That's way out of line. It probably would only cost as much as a brand new
chipper and a case of beer.

(-:

--
Bobby G.