Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Power tool case with parts storage *inside* - any recommendations?

I'm after a power tool case (preferably large enough for two cordless
drills, one 12v and one 9.6v so not enormous) which has additional
storage *inside* the case so it's accessible when the case is open.

Nearly all the ones I have found with Google products search either
have no small parts storage or they have the storage on the outside of
the lid which strikes me as rather useless. I already have a couple
of ordinary toolboxes arranged this ways and they annoy me considerably
in use.

Typical of what I don't want is:-

http://www.powertooldirect.co.uk/sta...e-p-55447.html

The nearest to what I do want that I've found is:-

http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Fas...ource=googleps

but I'm not sure if the parts box can be opened in situ in the case.

What I'm after is a case that opens out flat and, when open, allows me
to get at the cordless drills, some screwdriver bits, drills, etc. and
a selection of screws.

Any suggestions anyone?

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

coughed up some electrons that declared:

[...]

1 or 2 tray cantilever fishing tackle box?

http://www.tackleuk.co.uk/shakespear...ay-p-3106.html

I realise that may not be big enough, but some searching may turn up
something with a big enough space at the base to put the power drills.

HTH

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 10:37:33 +0000, Tim S wrote:

[...]

Or this ...I use one to keep boxes of screws,nails and wallplugs in
and also drill bits
http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare...0 31&mcb=core
Posted to uk.d-i-y

the wrote:
On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 10:37:33 +0000, Tim S wrote:
coughed up some electrons that declared:

What I'm after is a case that opens out flat and, when open, allows me
to get at the cordless drills, some screwdriver bits, drills, etc. and
a selection of screws.

Any suggestions anyone?

1 or 2 tray cantilever fishing tackle box?

http://www.tackleuk.co.uk/shakespear...ay-p-3106.html

I realise that may not be big enough, but some searching may turn up
something with a big enough space at the base to put the power drills.

Or this ...I use one to keep boxes of screws,nails and wallplugs in
and also drill bits
http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare...0 31&mcb=core

Possibly, though it doesn't give dimensions so I'm not sure if the
bottom is big enough. Do they have them in 'real' Mothercare shops -
if so I can go and take a look.

Thanks for the idea.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Mar 2009 17:40:30 GMT, wrote:

the wrote:
[...]

The one I have is 14 1/2" long 10 1/2" across and 7 1/2" deep
although the lid is another couple of inches deep on top to
accommodate the tray ....I'd imagine the shops have them . I got a s/h
one off ebay

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
What I'm after is a case that opens out flat and, when open, allows me
to get at the cordless drills, some screwdriver bits, drills, etc. and
a selection of screws.

Any suggestions anyone?

1 or 2 tray cantilever fishing tackle box?

http://www.tackleuk.co.uk/shakespear...ay-p-3106.html

I realise that may not be big enough, but some searching may turn up
something with a big enough space at the base to put the power drills.

That was a route I did try for a while but I have never found a
cantilever tool box big enough to take my cordless drill. As my
*main* toolbox I now have one of these:-

http://www.transtools.co.uk/store/pr...-workshop.html

This works pretty well and, when opened out, you can actually get at
everything in it. The tray in the top tool box even sits neatly in
the opened lid.

However the cordless drills don't fit in the top and get a bit lost in
the big box at the bottom. In addition I don't always want to drag
the big box around.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something
like:

I'm after a power tool case (preferably large enough for two cordless
drills, one 12v and one 9.6v so not enormous) which has additional
storage *inside* the case so it's accessible when the case is open.

Find one of the hard plastic cases for the Hilti or Bosch SDS-Max
drills.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not exactly your spec, but I have a couple of these

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=36796

The foam is pre-diced so easy to cut out recesses for the drills and
chargers, and I keep drill and driver bits and screws in separate boxes
inside. These are a bit more robust than some of the similar cheap ones in
the sheds, also they have nice radiussed corners. Also, being a fairly
standard size they "stack" well under the workbench.

The price tends to drop to ~£15 in the fairly frequent sales.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 14:58:50 -0000, newshound wrote:

The foam is pre-diced so easy to cut out recesses ...

And doesn't stand up to regular use of the tool. I find the dice start to
fall off in short order.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
Not exactly your spec, but I have a couple of these

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=36796

The foam is pre-diced so easy to cut out recesses for the drills and
chargers, and I keep drill and driver bits and screws in separate boxes
inside. These are a bit more robust than some of the similar cheap ones in
the sheds, also they have nice radiussed corners. Also, being a fairly
standard size they "stack" well under the workbench.

The price tends to drop to ~£15 in the fairly frequent sales.

That's certainly a possibility and with the foam supplied it makes it
quite an easy job to 'customise' it. My Stayer SDS drill came in a
case rather like that (but cruder) and that works pretty well for ma
although it doesn't have parts storage. As you say parts can be kept
in separate boxes within the same case, that's what I'm already doing
in my big/main toolbox.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I have a toolbag from Homobase
http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=20001&partNumber=520143&Trail=searchtext TOOL+BAG&c_1=1%7Ccategory_root%7CTools%7C120795 44

I keep 2 x drivers + 2 extra batteries + charger in the top, various sets of
drills, detector & stuff in outside pockets. The side flap unzips to allow
access to the plastic box where I keep screws, plugs, fixings etc (restocked
weekly from the workshop). The inside of the flap has plenty of pockets for
drill bits, bit holders etc.

I like it a whole lot, it means if I have to drill anything or fix anything
to a wall, grabbing this bag contains all I need & saves extra trips to the
van.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk