Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

Default Wood storage box: finish the inside?

Hello all,

The first of my home-grown storage boxes is taking shape, and if I am
going to put any kind of finish on the inside surfaces, I should do it soon.

It looks to me as though people typically finish the outside surfaces
and leave raw wood (poplar in my case) contacting the oily tooling. Is
that what you recommend? I am thinking of using an oil finish on the
outside.

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

Bill Schwab wrote:
Hello all,

The first of my home-grown storage boxes is taking shape, and if I am
going to put any kind of finish on the inside surfaces, I should do it
soon.

It looks to me as though people typically finish the outside surfaces
and leave raw wood (poplar in my case) contacting the oily tooling. Is
that what you recommend? I am thinking of using an oil finish on the
outside.

I'm no woodworker so take my advise with
a grain of salt. Poplar is pretty soft
and I'd go with a hard varathane coating
of some sort to protect it from minor
knocks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dick

Wood breathes and moves so anytime any finish is put on one side then
the same finish should be put on the reverse side to combat cupping and
twisting caused by moisture absorption at different rates between the two
sides.
Dick

--
Richard H. Neighbors
Building and repairing fine billiard cues for real pool players at
"Bill Schwab" wrote in message
Hello all,

The first of my home-grown storage boxes is taking shape, and if I am
going to put any kind of finish on the inside surfaces, I should do it
soon.

It looks to me as though people typically finish the outside surfaces and
leave raw wood (poplar in my case) contacting the oily tooling. Is that
what you recommend? I am thinking of using an oil finish on the outside.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
W RICHARDS

Bill Schwab wrote:
Hello all,

The first of my home-grown storage boxes is taking shape, and if I am
going to put any kind of finish on the inside surfaces, I should do it
soon.

It looks to me as though people typically finish the outside surfaces
and leave raw wood (poplar in my case) contacting the oily tooling. Is
that what you recommend? I am thinking of using an oil finish on the
outside.

Bill

Hi Bill:

My storage boxes are made out of popular. I use SAE 30 non detergent
motor oil on the outside and inside. Just rub it in.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My storage boxes are made out of popular. I use SAE 30 non detergent
motor oil on the outside and inside. Just rub it in.

....and if you want a darker color, run it through a crankcase first.
:^)
--Glenn Lyford

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag

Jim Stewart wrote:
Bill Schwab wrote:
Hello all,

The first of my home-grown storage boxes is taking shape, and if I am
going to put any kind of finish on the inside surfaces, I should do
it soon.

It looks to me as though people typically finish the outside surfaces
and leave raw wood (poplar in my case) contacting the oily tooling. Is
that what you recommend? I am thinking of using an oil finish on
the outside.

I'm no woodworker so take my advise with
a grain of salt. Poplar is pretty soft
and I'd go with a hard varathane coating
of some sort to protect it from minor
knocks.

I'm a master cabinet maker , and my advice is to finish it inside with the
same type of finish you plan on using for the outside . The reason for that
is to control moisture absorption . With the same type of finish in and out
, the wood absorbs equally on both surfaces , and maintains balanced
internal stresses . Leave a raw piece of wood on a (very) wet surface and
you'll understand ...

--
Snag aka OSG #1
'76 FLH "Bent Lady"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveF

"Snag" wrote in message
Jim Stewart wrote:
Bill Schwab wrote:
[...]

And for a machinist tool box, what would you personally recommend for a
finish?

Steve.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

Steve, Jim,

I'm a master cabinet maker , and my advice is to finish it inside with the
same type of finish you plan on using for the outside . The reason for
that is to control moisture absorption . With the same type of finish in
and out , the wood absorbs equally on both surfaces , and maintains
balanced internal stresses . Leave a raw piece of wood on a (very) wet
surface and you'll understand ...

And for a machinist tool box, what would you personally recommend for a
finish?

That's the real question. I would rather destroy a box I made largely
for practice than do any damage to my collets. FWIW, the box that came
with my starter endmill set has some kind of varnish on the outside and
bare wood inside. I lean toward oil finish, but have some concerns
about it or anything more modern being in contact with oily collets.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

And then use (green! it's traditional) felt to line the inside of the
box. It'll help protect the tools and absorb fluids.

Snag wrote:

I'm a master cabinet maker , and my advice is to finish it inside with the
same type of finish you plan on using for the outside . The reason for that
is to control moisture absorption . With the same type of finish in and out
, the wood absorbs equally on both surfaces , and maintains balanced
internal stresses . Leave a raw piece of wood on a (very) wet surface and
you'll understand ...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Schwab wrote:
Steve, Jim,

[...]

If you want traditional, go with shellac. Nothing in that that will
react with metal or attract moisture. I've used Deft's Clear Wood
Finish, which is a lacquer modified for brushing. You can also get it
in a spray can but it takes a lot of spray to build up a good finish.
It also dries quickly. I've had a case I made out of luan door skin
finished with Deft for over 20 years with my Starrett combination
square inside, no rust, no ill effects and the case still looks good
despite some rough knocks. One thing about either of these is that
surfaces can be touched up and the new finish will bond to the old with
no problems, not the case with polyurethanes or some spray enamels.

Stan