Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag

Default Wood storage box: finish the inside?

Jim Stewart wrote:
Bill Schwab wrote:
Hello all,

The first of my home-grown storage boxes is taking shape, and if I am
going to put any kind of finish on the inside surfaces, I should do
it soon.

It looks to me as though people typically finish the outside surfaces
and leave raw wood (poplar in my case) contacting the oily tooling. Is
that what you recommend? I am thinking of using an oil finish on
the outside.

I'm no woodworker so take my advise with
a grain of salt. Poplar is pretty soft
and I'd go with a hard varathane coating
of some sort to protect it from minor
knocks.

I'm a master cabinet maker , and my advice is to finish it inside with the
same type of finish you plan on using for the outside . The reason for that
is to control moisture absorption . With the same type of finish in and out
, the wood absorbs equally on both surfaces , and maintains balanced
internal stresses . Leave a raw piece of wood on a (very) wet surface and
you'll understand ...

--
Snag aka OSG #1
'76 FLH "Bent Lady"