Posted to alt.home.repair

Default break away 120 vac electrical plug

What should I buy for an outdoor 120 VAC electical connection that
requires breakaway capability? The connector will be exposed to rain and
even occasional snow. Hopefully there is a solution that isn't too
expensive.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ug-758431-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

You do realize this is Usenet, not a web forum?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/6/2013 6:44 PM, calvin wrote:

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ug-758431-.htm
using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface
to home and garden related groups

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What should I buy for an outdoor 120 VAC electical connection that
requires breakaway capability? The connector will be exposed to rain and
even occasional snow. Hopefully there is a solution that isn't too
expensive.

I too want you to know that you're in Usenet, which is easier to read
with a free news reader.

As you your question, I've never heard of breakaway capability for a
plug. Can you give more details. How you will be using it. Why
you think you need something special.

I have an extension cord that I use for the electric lawnmower, and
the weed wacker, and occasionally a drill or electric chain saw,, that
I used to fold up and store inside, But for the last 20 years or so,
I just leave it outside, on the grass. I do make a point to pick it
up a foot from the end, until most of any water has drained off of it,
because it lies right in the middle of the grass, and it is on a
ground fault circut breaker, but that has only tripped once in 30
years. I"m pretty sure I've left the cord t here all winter
several years too and it alwasys snows at least a little during the
winter, sometimes serveral inches at a time.

Actually for the last few years I've also had a 6 or 8 foot indoor
extension cord plugged in outside too. The receptacle its plugged
into is under an overhang and may not get wet, but the other end lies
on the dirt away from the house, and it gets rained on. It's never
tripped the GFCI either. which it would if any current, as little as
6ma., from the hot connector were going to ground and not going to
neutral. .

I'm not going so far as to recommend you live like me, but I do want
to know what about your situation makes you need somthing special, and
what you mean by breakaway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
You do realize this is Usenet, not a web forum?

Says the guy that top posts.

Maybe the poster refuses to post in usenet?

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ashton Crusher wrote:
I like top posting. I wish everyone did it. Makes reading a thread
much easier.

How does it make reading a thread easier?

Take this response as an example. When you opened this post you were able
to read what you posted and then continued reading and read my response.
When you bottom-post your reply to my response, anyone coming along later
will be able to read the comments in order, just like reading any other
printed page.

When you top post the reader has to go looking for context by scrolling
downward to find the comment that you are responding to, then scrolling
back upwards in order understand your response.

Do you text? Do the new texts end up above the old ones? Do you ever use
on-line chat? Do the new chat responses end up above the old ones? Ever
watch a TV court stenographer read back testimony? Does she start at the
bottom of her notes and move upwards for each response?

The answer is "No" in all cases because it's harder to follow a written
conversation in reverse order. The normal flow of reading a printed page is
to start at the top and read downwards with the new information following
the old, giving the reader the ability to understand the context of the new
by being familiar with the old.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per DerbyDad03:
I like top posting. I wish everyone did it. Makes reading a thread
much easier.

+ 1 - with the qualification that my main reason for preferring top
posting is that so many people tend to quote an entire post and put a
one-line reply down below.

If people were more selective with what they quoted, I'd say bottom
posting rules. But they aren't and they are not going to change - so I
prefer to read top-posted messages.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
Per DerbyDad03:
I like top posting. I wish everyone did it. Makes reading a thread
much easier.

+ 1 - with the qualification that my main reason for preferring top
posting is that so many people tend to quote an entire post and put a
one-line reply down below.

Same with me. Many will have about a page of quote and only one new line at
the bottom.
Probably the beter way of doing it is for the first response to be bottom
posted and the next ones top posted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 11:33:27 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per DerbyDad03:
I like top posting. I wish everyone did it. Makes reading a thread
much easier.

+ 1 - with the qualification that my main reason for preferring top
posting is that so many people tend to quote an entire post and put a
one-line reply down below.

If people were more selective with what they quoted, I'd say bottom
posting rules. But they aren't and they are not going to change - so I
prefer to read top-posted messages.

So when you post, snip all that extra text .

I hate trying to read top posting. The posters need to repeat all the
relevant facts from all the previous posters and they never do, so
often I just skip their posts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per DerbyDad03:
I like top posting. I wish everyone did it. Makes reading a thread
much easier.

+ 1 - with the qualification that my main reason for preferring top
posting is that so many people tend to quote an entire post and put a
one-line reply down below.

If people were more selective with what they quoted, I'd say bottom
posting rules. But they aren't and they are not going to change - so I
prefer to read top-posted messages.

Hey, if you are going to pontificate on people being selective with what
they quoted, how about you follow your own advice?

You snipped just about everything from the previous post and attributed
what Ashton said to me.

Now it looks like I am the one that likes top posting when, in fact, the
exact opposite is true. Your snipping/quoting error is now out on usenet
forever.

Nice move.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/2013 11:33 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
If people were more selective with what they quoted, I'd say bottom
posting rules.

I got tired of scrolling down to read a reply so I don't do it.
If people are too stupid to trim a post, I have no interest in what they have to say.
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak pretended :
Stormin Mormon wrote:
You do realize this is Usenet, not a web forum?

Says the guy that top posts.

Maybe the poster refuses to post in usenet?

It is interesting that all except Stormin Normin are very rare or never
posters of anything. :-?

--
John G

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 09:29:32 +1000, John G
wrote:

willshak pretended :
Stormin Mormon wrote:
You do realize this is Usenet, not a web forum?

Says the guy that top posts.

Maybe the poster refuses to post in usenet?

It is interesting that all except Stormin Normin are very rare or never
posters of anything. :-?

True.

And we still don't know what a breakaway plug is from the OP's pov.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 20:19:48 -0400, micky
wrote:

On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 09:29:32 +1000, John G
wrote:

willshak pretended :
Stormin Mormon wrote:
You do realize this is Usenet, not a web forum?

Says the guy that top posts.

Maybe the poster refuses to post in usenet?

It is interesting that all except Stormin Normin are very rare or never
posters of anything. :-?

True.

And we still don't know what a breakaway plug is from the OP's pov.

Well, I found one for DC but I didn't look for AC.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/13 7:19 PM, micky wrote:
On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 09:29:32 +1000, John G
wrote:

willshak pretended :
Stormin Mormon wrote:
You do realize this is Usenet, not a web forum?

Says the guy that top posts.

Maybe the poster refuses to post in usenet?

It is interesting that all except Stormin Normin are very rare or never
posters of anything. :-?

True.

And we still don't know what a breakaway plug is from the OP's pov.

Would it possibly be something for an RV or camper?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote:
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
Per DerbyDad03:
I like top posting. I wish everyone did it. Makes reading a thread
much easier.

+ 1 - with the qualification that my main reason for preferring top
posting is that so many people tend to quote an entire post and put a
one-line reply down below.

Same with me. Many will have about a page of quote and only one new line at
the bottom.
Probably the beter way of doing it is for the first response to be bottom
posted and the next ones top posted.

Please don't attribute the "I like top posting" to me.

Pete did a lousy job of snipping and made it look as if I made that
statement. In the post that Pete screwed up I responded to the "I like top
posting" statement with an explanation as to why top posting sucks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 11:33:27 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per DerbyDad03:
I like top posting. I wish everyone did it. Makes reading a thread
much easier.

+ 1 - with the qualification that my main reason for preferring top
posting is that so many people tend to quote an entire post and put a
one-line reply down below.

If people were more selective with what they quoted, I'd say bottom
posting rules. But they aren't and they are not going to change - so I
prefer to read top-posted messages.

So when you post, snip all that extra text .

I hate trying to read top posting. The posters need to repeat all the
relevant facts from all the previous posters and they never do, so
often I just skip their posts.

Please don't attribute the "I like top posting" to me.

Pete did a lousy job of snipping and made it look as if I made that
statement. In the post that Pete screwed up I responded to the "I like top
posting" statement with a explanation as to why top posting sucks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Almost everyone reading the thread has been reading it from the
beginning. So if you top post, BAM, the new stuff is there, right on
top. If you're one of the few people who haven't been following it
you can just page your way to the bottom and read you way back up. Why
should the vast majority of the readers, who have been reading the
thing since it started, have to page page page theit way to the bottom
of 600 lines of old stuff to find the 3 new lines that were added.
Just add the three new lines at the top and be done with it.

On Wed, 7 Aug 2013 14:41:40 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Ashton Crusher wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 11:33:27 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per DerbyDad03:
I like top posting. I wish everyone did it. Makes reading a thread
much easier.

+ 1 - with the qualification that my main reason for preferring top
posting is that so many people tend to quote an entire post and put a
one-line reply down below.

If people were more selective with what they quoted, I'd say bottom
posting rules. But they aren't and they are not going to change - so I
prefer to read top-posted messages.

You are right, IF people followed ALL the recommendation for "how to
post". But they only want to follow the "post at the bottom part" as
if it had some force of law, while quoting the 600 lines of stuff
that's repeating over 8 times.

You'll notice I posted this at the bottom because it's all SHORT.
Posted to alt.home.repair

When you reply to someone's written letter do you staple the letter
they sent you to the TOP of your reply so that your REPLY is at the
bottom of the stack? Or do you put your reply ON TOP with perhaps a
copy of their letter to you behind it as reference?

wrote:

Ashton Crusher wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Not exactly. It was a recommendation that INCLUDED TRIMMING all the
redundant crap. The recommendation was created back in the stone age
when people were using 300 baud modems and the only thing being
transmitted was monochrome text. If what was being done today, the
quoting of the same stuff 5 and 10 times with 600 lines of material,
NO ONE would read a bottom posted message because it would take 10
minutes to get to the bottom. Clearly the totality of the original
recommendation ONLY worked when people TRIM the Quoted material. Well
only 1 person in 100 TRIMS anything so what we wind up with is these
HUGE redundant piles of words that you have to PAGE PAGE PAGE PAGE
PAGE your way thru only to find out that "That happened to me once
except it was with a fish instead of an Edsel". If that comment had
been made at the TOP a heck of a lot of EVERYONE's time could have
been saved.

I would also add that I've been using USENET since those 300 baud
days and frankly, whether someone top posts or bottom posts it's
really not that hard to follow a thread either way. People who make a
big issue about STOP TOP POSTING are just whiners who think the world
revolves around them.

On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 09:25:56 +1000, John G
Bottom Posting has always been the Usenet Way. :-@

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per DerbyDad03:
Please don't attribute the "I like top posting" to me.

Pete did a lousy job of snipping

Mea Culpa.

My apologies.

And it drives me up the wall when people do that to me.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What should I buy for an outdoor 120 VAC electical connection that

requires breakaway capability? The connector will be exposed to rain and

even occasional snow. Hopefully there is a solution that isn't too

expensive.

I too want you to know that you're in Usenet, which is easier to read

with a free news reader.

As you your question, I've never heard of breakaway capability for a

plug. Can you give more details. How you will be using it. Why

you think you need something special.

He may be thinking of something similar to the type of connector
used on the small, home-type fryers. They have a special female plug
on the end of the power cord that connects to the unit. It fits
very loose and if you just pull lightly on the cord, it disconnects.
It's designed to keep you from tripping on the cord and having the
hot oil dump on you. Why he would need that for outside, who knows...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ashton Crusher wrote:
When you reply to someone's written letter do you staple the letter
they sent you to the TOP of your reply so that your REPLY is at the
bottom of the stack? Or do you put your reply ON TOP with perhaps a
copy of their letter to you behind it as reference?

....snip....

To be honest, I can't recall the last time I responded to a written letter
with a written letter, so I'll have to pass on that one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Aug 2013 00:33:50 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

micky wrote:
On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 11:33:27 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per DerbyDad03:
I like top posting. I wish everyone did it. Makes reading a thread

Since there were 2 more signs between the line two lines up and the
next line, and since no one here has been using a prefix of , I
didn't atribute that line to you.

much easier.

+ 1 - with the qualification that my main reason for preferring top
posting is that so many people tend to quote an entire post and put a
one-line reply down below.

If people were more selective with what they quoted, I'd say bottom
posting rules. But they aren't and they are not going to change - so I
prefer to read top-posted messages.

So when you post, snip all that extra text .

I hate trying to read top posting. The posters need to repeat all the
relevant facts from all the previous posters and they never do, so
often I just skip their posts.

Please don't attribute the "I like top posting" to me.

Pete did a lousy job of snipping and made it look as if I made that
statement.

I didn't think his snipping job was that bad or that it made it look
like you had made a statement you didn't. It was worth pointing out
once that you didn't, but IMO not more than once or twice.

In the post that Pete screwed up I responded to the "I like top
posting" statement with a explanation as to why top posting sucks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 9 Aug 2013 02:54:51 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Ashton Crusher wrote:
When you reply to someone's written letter do you staple the letter
they sent you to the TOP of your reply so that your REPLY is at the
bottom of the stack? Or do you put your reply ON TOP with perhaps a
copy of their letter to you behind it as reference?

...snip....

To be honest, I can't recall the last time I responded to a written letter
with a written letter, so I'll have to pass on that one.

I agree it's pretty rare for personal but it's still done a lot in
business and the new stuff always goes on TOP.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ashton Crusher wrote:
When you reply to someone's written letter do you staple the letter
they sent you to the TOP of your reply so that your REPLY is at the
bottom of the stack? Or do you put your reply ON TOP with perhaps a
copy of their letter to you behind it as reference?

...snip....

To be honest, I can't recall the last time I responded to a written letter
with a written letter, so I'll have to pass on that one.

I agree it's pretty rare for personal but it's still done a lot in
business and the new stuff always goes on TOP.

Ok, you win.

An open request to the usenet community: Since a paper based communication
system uses a "staple the new stuff on top of the old" methodology, usenet
should now follow the same protocol. Please start top posting.

Ashton: I feel that it is my responsibility to sometimes allow others to
take the lead in order to help them build their assertiveness skills. I
will continue to bottom post and let others begin the groundswell of top
posting that is sure to follow. Once the movement has taken hold, I will
happily join in, knowing that the masses took the responsibility to change
that which was so wrong.
Posted to alt.home.repair

...snip....

Now I'm really confused!

After all you've said about snipping and top posting, why did you post two
very short responses - without snipping anything - in the "fence issue with
neighbor" thread?

One response is a single line at the bottom, with nothing snipped from the
previous 2 posts. Isn't that the very issue you've been basing your
argument against bottom posting on?

I quote: "Well only 1 person in 100 TRIMS anything so what we wind up with
is these HUGE redundant piles of words that you have to PAGE PAGE PAGE PAGE
PAGE your way thru only to find out that "That happened to me once except
it was with a fish instead of an Edsel". "
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 10:33:27 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

...snip....

Now I'm really confused!

After all you've said about snipping and top posting, why did you post two
very short responses - without snipping anything - in the "fence issue with
neighbor" thread?

One response is a single line at the bottom, with nothing snipped from the
previous 2 posts. Isn't that the very issue you've been basing your
argument against bottom posting on?

I quote: "Well only 1 person in 100 TRIMS anything so what we wind up with
is these HUGE redundant piles of words that you have to PAGE PAGE PAGE PAGE
PAGE your way thru only to find out that "That happened to me once except
it was with a fish instead of an Edsel". "

Because I'm a product of my environment. Also note that there is no
consistency as to whether I top post of bottom post. It's a mad mad
world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N3N1MlvVc4
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Geez! It's been 30 years since Tears For Fears made the original video.
Where has the time gone? O_o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFsHSHE-iJQ

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

They are still so young and I've gotten 30 years older!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I was out of college when I saw ELP in concert back in 1973, I think, or
was it 1974? o_O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pxlBbJ2prQ

TDD