Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rivet Removal?

One of the shocks snapped off my truck cap/shell rear window. The rivet
heads popped off where it fastens on the frame around window. The rivet
seems to go through the weather-strip in the frame and there is nowhere for
the remaining shank to go, drilling just spins it. Now what the @#$@ do I
do? Thanks ;-p

Posted to alt.home.repair

leonard hofstadter wrote:
One of the shocks snapped off my truck cap/shell rear window. The rivet
heads popped off where it fastens on the frame around window. The rivet
seems to go through the weather-strip in the frame and there is nowhere
for the remaining shank to go, drilling just spins it. Now what the @#$@
do I do? Thanks ;-p

Not sure what you are talking about, but I'll answer anyway.
Punch it in and replace with a pop-rivet?

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

leonard hofstadter wrote:
One of the shocks snapped off my truck cap/shell rear window. The rivet
heads popped off where it fastens on the frame around window. The rivet
seems to go through the weather-strip in the frame and there is nowhere
for the remaining shank to go, drilling just spins it. Now what the @#$@
do I do? Thanks ;-p

Hi,
Spin little more and loosen it, then punch out or use something like
bearing puller to push it out gently?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 12:18:08 -0500, "leonard hofstadter"
wrote:

One of the shocks snapped off my truck cap/shell rear window. The rivet
heads popped off where it fastens on the frame around window. The rivet
seems to go through the weather-strip in the frame and there is nowhere for
the remaining shank to go, drilling just spins it. Now what the @#$@ do I
do? Thanks ;-p

... a couple of thoughts

Punch the shank with a nail or set punch, trying to bend it a little
to hopefully stop the spinning of the shank.

Push harder on the drill

..02
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 27, 2013 12:18:08 PM UTC-5, leonard hofstadter wrote:
One of the shocks snapped off my truck cap/shell rear window. The rivet heads popped off where it fastens on the frame around window. The rivet seems to go through the weather-strip in the frame and there is nowhere for the remaining shank to go, drilling just spins it. Now what the @#$@ do I do? Thanks ;-p

Needle-nose pliers to grip the outside of the rivet and small enough drill bit to not take the outside edge off the rivet and screw up the pliers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message ...

leonard hofstadter wrote:
One of the shocks snapped off my truck cap/shell rear window. The rivet
heads popped off where it fastens on the frame around window. The rivet
seems to go through the weather-strip in the frame and there is nowhere
for the remaining shank to go, drilling just spins it. Now what the @#$@
do I do? Thanks ;-p

Not sure what you are talking about, but I'll answer anyway.
Punch it in and replace with a pop-rivet?

===========
can't punch it in, there's no where for it to go
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

On Saturday, July 27, 2013 12:18:08 PM UTC-5, leonard hofstadter wrote:
One of the shocks snapped off my truck cap/shell rear window. The rivet
heads popped off where it fastens on the frame around window. The rivet
seems to go through the weather-strip in the frame and there is nowhere
for the remaining shank to go, drilling just spins it. Now what the @#$@
do I do? Thanks ;-p

Needle-nose pliers to grip the outside of the rivet and small enough drill
bit to not take the outside edge off the rivet and screw up the pliers.

=======
not enough exposed to grab

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

One of the shocks snapped off my truck cap/shell rear window. The rivet
heads popped off where it fastens on the frame around window. The rivet
seems to go through the weather-strip in the frame and there is nowhere for
the remaining shank to go, drilling just spins it. Now what the @#$@ do I
do? Thanks ;-p

... a couple of thoughts

Punch the shank with a nail or set punch, trying to bend it a little
to hopefully stop the spinning of the shank.

Push harder on the drill

===========
I was hoping I could use a punch but the weather-strip seems to be holding
it in place. I've tried a punch, but like you said, either need to hit it
harder or push harder on drill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/27/2013 12:18 PM, leonard hofstadter wrote:
One of the shocks snapped off my truck cap/shell rear window. The rivet
heads popped off where it fastens on the frame around window. The rivet
seems to go through the weather-strip in the frame and there is nowhere
for the remaining shank to go, drilling just spins it. Now what the @#$@
do I do? Thanks ;-p

Use and automatic center punch around the circumference of the hole to
make little craters that will pinch the rivet tighter in the hole then
drill. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 27, 2013 12:18:08 PM UTC-5, leonard hofstadter wrote:
One of the shocks snapped off my truck cap/shell rear window. The rivet heads popped off where it fastens on the frame around window. The rivet seems to go through the weather-strip in the frame and there is nowhere for the remaining shank to go, drilling just spins it. Now what the @#$@ do I do? Thanks ;-p

Can you come in with a fairly large drill bit. say the diameter of the rivet head, and then come in at an angle and chew away at the rivet head sideways? I have been abl;e todo that a number of times.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 14:26:20 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Saturday, July 27, 2013 12:18:08 PM UTC-5, leonard hofstadter wrote:
One of the shocks snapped off my truck cap/shell rear window. The rivet heads popped off where it fastens on the frame around window. The rivet seems to go through the weather-strip in the frame and there is nowhere for the remaining shank to go, drilling just spins it. Now what the @#$@ do I do? Thanks ;-p

Can you come in with a fairly large drill bit. say the diameter of the rivet head, and then come in at an angle and chew away at the rivet head sideways? I have been abl;e todo that a number of times.

A dremmel with a grindstone or milling cutter
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/27/2013 01:18 PM, leonard hofstadter wrote:
One of the shocks snapped off my truck cap/shell rear window. The rivet
heads popped off where it fastens on the frame around window. The rivet
seems to go through the weather-strip in the frame and there is nowhere
for the remaining shank to go, drilling just spins it. Now what the @#$@
do I do? Thanks ;-p

4.5" angle grinder?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

stuff snipped

A dremmel with a grindstone or milling cutter

Good idea. I would use a small cutoff wheel to make a cross in the rivet
head and it should come out pretty easily.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote in message ...

wrote in message

stuff snipped

A dremmel with a grindstone or milling cutter

Good idea. I would use a small cutoff wheel to make a cross in the rivet
head and it should come out pretty easily.

the heads snapped off, that's why the shock fell off ;-p

don't have a dremmel, but dad has air tools, pretty sure I've seen some
grindstones and cutting attachments too, will have to give that a try

Rivet set - how to use safely? [email protected] Metalworking 16 September 16th 12 01:58 AM
Craftsman Pop Rivet gun?` Steve W.[_4_] Metalworking 1 March 14th 12 03:16 PM
Rivet peening chudford UK diy 10 June 15th 11 06:56 PM
rivet gun Stupendous Man Metalworking 6 November 8th 07 04:14 AM
rivet? AE Todd Home Repair 16 April 11th 07 02:31 AM