Posted to alt.home.repair

Default plumbing problem

Hi

I have leaking issue in the bathroom sink. I opened the system and took it out (please see picture below)

http://tinypic.com/r/2i7tly1/5

I tested the black U shape tube by filling water and wait. I did not leak. It is 1 1/4 tube. I went to home depot and bought this

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/bras...-chrome/948013

the sale person at home depot told me to buy plumbing putty to put it on top. So i bought one. I asked if I need to do anything else to stop the leaking. He said no. What do you think?

Thanks a lot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/21/2013 9:36 AM, leza wang wrote:
Hi

I have leaking issue in the bathroom sink. I opened the system and took it out (please see picture below)

http://tinypic.com/r/2i7tly1/5

I tested the black U shape tube by filling water and wait. I did not leak. It is 1 1/4 tube. I went to home depot and bought this

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/bras...-chrome/948013

the sale person at home depot told me to buy plumbing putty to put it on top. So i bought one. I asked if I need to do anything else to stop the leaking. He said no. What do you think?

Thanks a lot.

First, you don't state specifically where the leak is.

Second, is that black U connection supposed to be your trap? If so,
replace it with a real trap like this
http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/Hom...88193656_4.jpg

Third, replace plastic components with metal. Plastic will eventually
break down and leak in due time.

Fourth, yes, putty is required when installing a sink drain. You need to
apply it under the drain lip to make contact with the top of the sink
drain hole (indented circle). If that was your leak, it should resolve
the issue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Meanie wrote:
[...]

Hi,
And don't forget some tool needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

personally i prefer plastic fittins and since they are all poor quality my fix works, 100% of the time

I put silicone bathtub caulk on all the connections

it comes apart easily if needed, but prevents leaks short and long term...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/21/2013 9:52 AM, Meanie wrote:
[...]

Yep, plumbers putty will do the trick. Sometimes a rubber gasket is
supplied with the drain kit or included with the sink. A gasket is
better (if supplied) as replacing it is easy. Old plumbers putty that
needs removed can be a bear to clean up depending on sink material and
condition.

Plastic drains can be a problem if you buy the cheap junk at the big box
stores. Go to a plumbing supply house for the good plastic stuff (which
doesn't rust out like metal by the way).

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/21/2013 10:11 AM, bob haller wrote:
personally i prefer plastic fittins and since they are all poor quality my fix works, 100% of the time

I put silicone bathtub caulk on all the connections

it comes apart easily if needed, but prevents leaks short and long term...

Good idea.

I agree, plastic will not rust and good quality plastic can outlast
metal, but steps such as yours need to be done in order to avoid
potential leaks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 06:36:12 -0700 (PDT), leza wang
wrote:

I have leaking issue in the bathroom sink. I opened the system and took it out (please see picture below)

http://tinypic.com/r/2i7tly1/5

That chrome shaft with the white ball should have a cap that screws on
the thread to hold the rod in place.

If it was missing the drain will leak. Or did you remove it for some
reason?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have leaking issue in the bathroom sink. I opened the system and took it out (please see picture below)

http://tinypic.com/r/2i7tly1/5

That chrome shaft with the white ball should have a cap that screws on

the thread to hold the rod in place.

If it was missing the drain will leak. Or did you remove it for some

reason?

+1

And as someone else said, we have no idea where it was
leaking to begin with.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

the sale person at home depot told me to buy plumbing putty to put it on top.

Follow this video: It explains the putty and pop up.

(Do not just "put it top". If that is what you were thinking)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HfqcaD-bqI
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 09:30:05 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

And as someone else said, we have no idea where it was
leaking to begin with.

I've never seen a *P-trap* like Leza has. She should replace what she
has with a real, purposeful P-trap.

Seems gas would escape in her situation?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have leaking issue in the bathroom sink. I opened the system and took it out (please see picture below)

http://tinypic.com/r/2i7tly1/5

That chrome shaft with the white ball should have a cap that screws on

the thread to hold the rod in place.

If it was missing the drain will leak. Or did you remove it for some

reason?

+1

And as someone else said, we have no idea where it was

leaking to begin with.

Thanks for your replies. I have no idea from where it is leaking. i touch the black U tube and I feel the water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/21/2013 10:15 PM, leza wang wrote:

Thanks for your replies. I have no idea from where it is leaking. i touch the black U tube and I feel the water.

Wipe it all dry. Turn on the water and watch for drips. Why guess when
you can know, thus, ensuring you fix the leak.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 22, 2013 11:09:32 AM UTC-4, SBH wrote:
On 7/21/2013 10:15 PM, leza wang wrote:

Thanks for your replies. I have no idea from where it is leaking. i touch the black U tube and I feel the water.

Wipe it all dry. Turn on the water and watch for drips. Why guess when

you can know, thus, ensuring you fix the leak.

i did that but it is hard to find out where is coming from
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 21, 2013 8:36:12 AM UTC-5, leza wang wrote:
Hi I have leaking issue in the bathroom sink. I opened the system and took it out (please see picture below) http://tinypic.com/r/2i7tly1/5 I tested the black U shape tube by filling water and wait. I did not leak. It is 1 1/4 tube. I went to home depot and bought this http://www.homedepot.ca/product/bras...-chrome/948013 the sale person at home depot told me to buy plumbing putty to put it on top. So i bought one. I asked if I need to do anything else to stop the leaking. He said no. What do you think? Thanks a lot.

Does it leak when water runs out of the sink into the drain, or does it leak when the stopper is in the sink and no water is draining out?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 19:15:52 -0700 (PDT), leza wang
wrote:

I have no idea from where it is leaking. i touch the black U tube and I feel the water.

Thanks for sharing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

leza wang wrote:

Thanks for your replies. I have no idea from where it is leaking. i
touch the black U tube and I feel the water.

It sometimes takes a little patience and some careful looking and checking,
but you should be able to figure out where the water is coming from.

The water flows downhill. So, you start by drying everything off underneath
completely. Then, with water running in the sink, look underneath with a
flashlight. If you put piece of paper towel around the pipe that is coming
down (above the black pipe), you'll see if that gets wet.

If that gets wet, then the water is coming from above that -- maybe where
that "tailpiece" meets the sink -- the part where you are thinking of
putting the putty.

But, if the paper towel doesn't get wet, but the black pipe gets wet, the
leak is coming from below the paper towel. If that's the case, check around
the two parts that screw on to the black pipe (one on each end). You could
even put a small piece of paper towel on each of those. If either of these
is leaking, it could just be a plastic ring that goes inside the part that
screws on to the black pipe. There are different types of plastic rings --
"flat" ones, and ones that have a bevel. Look at what you have to see what
you would need if that is what you are replacing.

It is also even possible that there is a leak higher up (above the sink
drain) coming from around the faucet and running down the outside of the
sink that you would see from underneath the sink, and then running down onto
the tailpiece, then down onto the black pipe. Look for that too, and you
can use small pieces of paper towel to find that type of leak too.
Sometimes, it is hard to actually see the small drip of water, but the paper
towel piece will get wet if it is there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 12:47:37 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

[...]

I use the paper towel under the sink trick, too. Same for under
toilet tanks when the bolts seem to be leaking.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have no idea from where it is leaking. i touch the black U tube and I feel the water.

Thanks for sharing.

LMAO!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"leza wang" wrote in message

Wipe it all dry. Turn on the water and watch for drips. Why guess when

you can know, thus, ensuring you fix the leak.

i did that but it is hard to find out where is coming from

Sometimes, if you smear a thin film of dishwashing liquid over the area
where you think the water is escaping from, you can see bubbles where the
leaking water hits the soap. More effective on supply pipes, but I've had
it work on drains, too.

I'd use toilet paper instead of paper towels to wrap the pipe to look for
leaks. It's much easier to wrap tightly around the pipe and fittings.

Remember, too, that leaks travel and follow gravity so the origin could be
some distance away from where you find the water.

--
Bobby G.

Plumbing problem [email protected] Home Repair 5 October 13th 06 06:45 PM
Plumbing problem Dan_Musicant Home Repair 8 September 20th 06 10:02 PM
Plumbing problem dcbwhaley UK diy 18 September 10th 06 11:30 PM
Plumbing Problem Dorot29701 Home Repair 8 December 29th 04 04:32 PM
Plumbing problem Dude Home Repair 2 December 4th 04 11:46 PM