Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default plumbing problem

Meanie wrote:
On 7/21/2013 9:36 AM, leza wang wrote:
Hi

I have leaking issue in the bathroom sink. I opened the system and
took it out (please see picture below)

http://tinypic.com/r/2i7tly1/5

I tested the black U shape tube by filling water and wait. I did not
leak. It is 1 1/4 tube. I went to home depot and bought this

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/bras...-chrome/948013

the sale person at home depot told me to buy plumbing putty to put it
on top. So i bought one. I asked if I need to do anything else to stop
the leaking. He said no. What do you think?

Thanks a lot.

First, you don't state specifically where the leak is.

Second, is that black U connection supposed to be your trap? If so,
replace it with a real trap like this
http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/Hom...88193656_4.jpg

Third, replace plastic components with metal. Plastic will eventually
break down and leak in due time.

Fourth, yes, putty is required when installing a sink drain. You need to
apply it under the drain lip to make contact with the top of the sink
drain hole (indented circle). If that was your leak, it should resolve
the issue.

Hi,
And don't forget some tool needed.