Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plumbing problem

Well...the downstairs bathroom of this house I bought 18 months ago is
very small and outdated and always smelled musty, so, wanting to expand
it a few feet anyway, I gutted it with the idea of modernizing it and
redoing the tile, etc. Pretty normal stuff. House is on a slab, btw.

Upon taking apart the builtin cabinet thing, I found a hole in the slab
[about 1 ft x 1 ft] had been cut for the bathtub plumbing and drain to
run through. [Not sure why a hole is needed, maybe that's normal ?]
The toilet and sink are on the opposite wall, a distance of 6 feet.
The waste stack is right by the toilet of course. So on one wall I
have a tub with water supply and 2" drain. On the other wall, a sink
and toilet with another water supply for them, and the drain for them
is the main stack.

Looking in the hole in the slab I noticed that the drain coming from
the tub does not meet up with the pipe it's supposed to connect to.
There's a gap of a few inches. This means of course that the tub
drains into the ground under the slab. No telling how long that's been
going on, but the tail of the pipe coming from the tub drain is heavily
rusted.

What are my options ? The only one I see is to [have a plumber] cut a
path into the slab from the bathtub over to the stack and connect the
bathtub into the main stack. This would surely cost a bit. I could
move the tub over to the other wall but of course, unlike the sink, the
tub drain is below grade.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on slabs i rent concrete saw to replace pipes, the cover with some
cement. lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair

Funny, the fellow next door is a concrete guy and I think he wakes up
in the morning with two thoughts - what can I saw and what can I pour ?

I like your site.

wrote:
on slabs i rent concrete saw to replace pipes, the cover with some
cement. lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Why not just enlarge the hole enough to get back to sound pipe &
install a repair section of pipe with No-Hub rubber / stainless clamp
connectors?

Of course if the tub pipe is rusted away to nothing, you're in deep
do-do. But as you cut back further from the pipe end the rust should
abate & you should get to sound pipe.

No need to tear up the whole installaion unless you really want to
re-config the bathroom.

cheers
Bob

Your plan would work

Posted to alt.home.repair

I never heard of No-Hub, I think I'll stick my head down in that hole
and take a closer look. Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I never heard of No-Hub, I think I'll stick my head down in that hole
and take a closer look. Thank you.

http://www.fernco.com/

There is a fair chance that the drain under the slab
is cast iron. If so, you're in luck because the CI will
not rsut away the way the galv iron did. A Fernco coupling
will adapt whatever you use to the cast iron size.

Jim