Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tuck pointing question

I'm having the rear of my home pointed. the license contractor just put a 5 gallon of 'graded sand' down my basement, and will start tomorrow morning. is this a good grade that is typically used for pointing? i read somewhere once that contractors have been using some inferior products. hoping this is not one of them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/16/2013 12:16 PM, novel wrote:
I'm having the rear of my home pointed. the license contractor just put a 5 gallon of 'graded sand' down my basement, and will start tomorrow morning. is this a good grade that is typically used for pointing? i read somewhere once that contractors have been using some inferior products. hoping this is not one of them.

graded usually means that it's been graded, or is run through a screen
so it's all pretty much the same size grains. it doesn't mean it's grade
X, where X is a number referring to it's quality.

Posted to alt.home.repair

novel wrote:
I'm having the rear of my home pointed. the license contractor just put a
5 gallon of 'graded sand' down my basement, and will start tomorrow
morning. is this a good grade that is typically used for pointing? i read
somewhere once that contractors have been using some inferior products.
hoping this is not one of them.

"i read somewhere once that contractors have been using some inferior
products."

It sure would be tough to make a statement that is more general than that
one.
Senior Member

No, the contractor is not going to skimp on the cost of his sand. Sand is probably the least expensive of the materials he's going to be using, so it's not the place to look to save money.

What you'll find is that people that do a particular kind of work get to notice subtle differences in the materials and tools they use, and they soon adopt favourites because they prefer the subtle differences of one brand of pointing trowel over another or one company's sand over another. But, also, and as often as not, they buy the same materials from the same suppliers year after year because they've never felt that they could have done a better job or did it faster or easier had they used someone else's materials instead.

So, the contractor is going to use whatever materials he likes the most, or whatever he's always used regardless of whether he's doing your house or someone else's. It's simply because he's got reasons for liking some of the materials he uses, and doesn't have any reason NOT to keep using other products he uses.