Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water leak in threaded connectors

On 07/13/2013 06:48 AM, KenK wrote:

I am having water leaks at the threaded connections - hose,
adapter and copper-line connector - it's hard to tell exactly where the
water is coming from.

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message

. . . sometimes teflon paste (not tape) can help stop a
very small leak, but if you are getting a constant dripping it is
probably a bit too much of a leak.

Teflon tape seems to stop major leaks if you use enough of
it. For pool connections (all plastic) expert Sam at the pool
store recommends six turns of teflon tape over the threads
and three more over the butt, where the threads end. This
cured major leaks here.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Don Phillipson" wrote:

On 07/13/2013 06:48 AM, KenK wrote:

I am having water leaks at the threaded connections - hose,
adapter and copper-line connector - it's hard to tell exactly where the
water is coming from.

If I understand correctly, you have a garden hose connection involved?

If so, I've had issues in the past where those flimsy stamped sheet
brass male couplings develop cracks in their threads. I think most were
caused by dropping the hose end with nozzle attached... but could see
them cracking over time as well.

If it is such a connection, all the sealing is done with the washer...
and I doubt any sealer would seal big sloppy threads like that.

Just my .02¢ worth, good luck, let us know what you find!

Erik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Phillipson" wrote in
:

On 07/13/2013 06:48 AM, KenK wrote:

I am having water leaks at the threaded connections - hose,
adapter and copper-line connector - it's hard to tell exactly where
the water is coming from.

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message

. . . sometimes teflon paste (not tape) can help stop a
very small leak, but if you are getting a constant dripping it is
probably a bit too much of a leak.

Teflon tape seems to stop major leaks if you use enough of
it. For pool connections (all plastic) expert Sam at the pool
store recommends six turns of teflon tape over the threads
and three more over the butt, where the threads end. This
cured major leaks here.

I redid the teflon tape. First time I used only one or two layers. This
time I wound around five or six layers on all connections. That may have
done it! Thanks much.