Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Homeless

I just learned today that a friend of my nephew (who is staying with
me) is homeless. The friend stayed here for 3 weeks before I blew a
fuse and insisted that my nephew took him home. It was only after the
boy left did I discover he was homeless.

He was getting a check from the government until he turned 18 and the
people he was staying with made him leave. I understand that the kid
was working at a fast food place, but his car blew the engine.

He did just graduate from school. I understand that the people he was
staying with also let him finish school before they asked him to
leave.

I have suggested he contact some churches. I also suggested that he
try to get a job and pay coworkers to take him to and from "home". He
does have quite a few kids from school that he can rely on for a short
while.

I googled "help for the homeless" and got......
http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?...nning/homeless

Since I do not have any personal information about the boy, I could
not apply for anything listed. I suggested my nephew suggest the site
to the friend and let him do the applying.

Just from going to the site, it becomes pretty clear there is some
huge red tape and frustration on finding out what the kid would
qualify for. I think he is willing to work and I do not suspect the
kid is on drugs, but I really don't know. It does seem like a pretty
bad situation when you have no way to get to work and no place to
stay. BTW his home city and friends are around 45 miles from here and
it is a really small town.

Any other suggestions on how the kid could get help?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 12, 2013 8:02:30 PM UTC-7, Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

Could he apply for general Relief?

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
[...]

What State does he live in?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:

I just learned today that a friend of my nephew (who is staying
with me) is homeless.

But I bet he can't live without his iPhone, eh?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

Hi,
If he is not afraid of hard work, he can go to Alaska and get a job.
Sorry about the kid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 23:02:30 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

I just learned today that a friend of my nephew (who is staying with
me) is homeless. The friend stayed here for 3 weeks before I blew a
fuse and insisted that my nephew took him home. It was only after the
boy left did I discover he was homeless.

He was getting a check from the government until he turned 18 and the
people he was staying with made him leave. I understand that the kid
was working at a fast food place, but his car blew the engine.

He did just graduate from school. I understand that the people he was
staying with also let him finish school before they asked him to
leave.

Why did they ask him to leave? Let me guess, he did nothing around
the house to help, he did nothing to help himself better his position.
He thinks he should get everything for free.

I have a relative in a similar situation. He lived with us for a
while but finally moved out. He has friends in similar situations.
They have very little ambition and can't keep a job if they do get
one.

Any other suggestions on how the kid could get help?

My suggestion is to stop feeling sorry for the kid and let him take
his lumps. The guy I'm talking about agreed to do some work for me to
make some money. That was last summer. This weekend I'm going to
finish one of the jobs he started but never completed.

I wish you good luck, but if your situation is anything like mine, He
really does not want "help", he just wants you to do everything for
him.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just learned today that a friend of my nephew (who is staying with
me) is homeless. The friend stayed here for 3 weeks before I blew a
fuse and insisted that my nephew took him home. It was only after the
boy left did I discover he was homeless.

He was getting a check from the government until he turned 18 and the
people he was staying with made him leave. I understand that the kid
was working at a fast food place, but his car blew the engine.

He did just graduate from school. I understand that the people he was
staying with also let him finish school before they asked him to
leave.

Why did they ask him to leave? Let me guess, he did nothing around
the house to help, he did nothing to help himself better his position.
He thinks he should get everything for free.

He is a teenager. I am pretty sure that was a factor.

I have a relative in a similar situation. He lived with us for a
while but finally moved out. He has friends in similar situations.
They have very little ambition and can't keep a job if they do get
one.

Any other suggestions on how the kid could get help?

My suggestion is to stop feeling sorry for the kid and let him take
his lumps. The guy I'm talking about agreed to do some work for me to
make some money. That was last summer. This weekend I'm going to
finish one of the jobs he started but never completed.

I wish you good luck, but if your situation is anything like mine, He
really does not want "help", he just wants you to do everything for
him.

Thanks
Senior Member

What about his joining the military, like the Navy or Air Force.

It'll give him a roof to sleep under, three squares a day, a regular pay cheque and train him for a career, depending on what he chooses as a carreer path. And, it'll teach him teamwork, leadership skills and self discipline, all of which are important in making something of yourself in civilian life.

The US Navy, for example, has an excellent electrical engineering program. Many heavy duty diesel mechanics get trained in the army working on military trucks and military vehicles. The Air Force trains people to work as jet engine mechanics, and that's a well paying job in civilian life.

There are millions of people in the US that got their career training in the US military and went on to become successful professionals, tradespeople and business owners in civilian life. And I expect many of them would attribute much of their success to the traits instilled in them by the military.

I know a guy who's career Canadian military, and I agree with what he says. When you get a bunch of military guys together and give them a collective task, they organize themselves and set about getting it done. Do the same thing with non-military civilians, and you immediately have a baby fight over who's in charge, and then there's animosity amongst them over who should be doing what, and the end result is another fight over who's fault it is that they didn't get the job done.

You'd be doing this kid a favour by introducing him to military life. Whether or not he sticks with it is his decision.

Last edited by nestork : July 13th 13 at 06:50 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

Makes perfect sense, to me. However, professional
dependants may try various manipulation to get back
into your house.

The guy I tried to help, if he didn't get his way, he was
"depressed". If he still didn't get his way, he was
"suicidal" and that was supposed to make everyone
cater to him.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Metspitzer" wrote in message ...

I have just taken on having my sister, my nephew
and my niece moving in with me. I really feel sorry
for my nephew's friend, but I am spread too thin to
take any more.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Tom is offline

Metspitzer wrote in
:

You idiot. 167 line message, and you responded with 4 words. Please just go
to Google...

On Sat, 13 Jul 2013 12:30:06 -0400, "Jake29"
wrote:

Metspitzer wrote:
On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 23:22:10 -0400, "Jake29"
wrote:

Thanks for your suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
To the point, well said.

Keeps bombing out of placements. I'm remembering a friend from years ago. He adopted a boy of about 14, who had been in the system. Intelligent, cheerful, handsome, and very talented boy. But, he'd developed a pattern of bombing out. As much as my friend tried to help, finally had to take the kid back to the "system" and it was a sad day for us all.

I've also heard that Russian orphanage kids are unmanagable, also. My cousin adopted a four year old Russian orphanage boy. Now in his teens, the boy is homeless, unmotivated, and trouble in so many ways.
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.
.
"Jake29"
wrote in message ...

And, as others have suggested, my guess is that he bombed out of whatever
program he was in with the family who let him stay until he graduated from
high school. That doesn't mean that he can't get into another program, but
it is very possible that he keeps bombing out of his placements because he
won't do what he needs to do, won't cooperate with his caretakers and is
oppositional and defiant, or runs the streets at all hours, or is involved
with drugs and/or criminal/delinquent behavior. So, there is a good chance
that even if you could "help" him by helping him find a program to get into,
he'll bomb out. Regular teens who have a job and are generally motivated
and cooperative with their caretakers don't get booted out of every place
that they live.

Good luck.

Hmmm,
I call human like that young or old regardless of sex perennial loser.
Dumb = Too smart = reverse smart.(Old Chinese saying)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 13, 2013 8:31:43 AM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
Metspitzer wrote:

[...]

So he's homeless because his car is shot and he can't get to work? Are

there busses? Can he walk? As you said, he could pay coworkers for rides.

Even if his family is in a small town, he could still go home for a while;

and while there, he could do odd jobs - mow lawns, dig ditches, wash cars,

wash dogs, whatever - to accumulate some money. There are always jobs if

one looks and is reliable.

His situation isn't all that unusual for someone starting out. Main thing

is, he needs to work. He needs to rent a room somewhere close enough to his

work so that he doesn't have to rely on a car to get tofrom work. Matter

of fact, he probably shouldn't have a car until he is more solvent; a car -

any car - costs about $500 a month to own. If he doesn't have the money to

rent a room he will have to sponge until he gets a paycheck; that or

convince the landlord to rent to him and let him pay when he gets the first

paycheck.

Once he is ensconsed and has a source of income, he needs to live frugally

for a while and save money. He also needs to improve himself via night

school or other so that he can get the skills to get a better job. Once he

does, he needs to repeat the process.

Mainly, he needs to develop self reliance; what he doesn't need is a

handout.

--

dadiOH

____________________________

Do not listen to this capitalist ****. Anyone that owns a computer in Florida is a criminal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 13, 2013 12:47:54 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
On Friday, July 12, 2013 11:02:30 PM UTC-4, Metspitzer wrote:

I just learned today that a friend of my nephew (who is staying with

me) is homeless. The friend stayed here for 3 weeks before I blew a

fuse and insisted that my nephew took him home. It was only after the

boy left did I discover he was homeless.

you should reconsider throwing him out with strict rules to prevent a reoccurence of whatever made you blow a fuse.......

lets imagine for a moment the kid while homeless dies, will YOU for the remainder of your life regret throwing him out?

I believe in trying to help people.

When I was a child my family refused to help a realtive, who they believed was wealthy. after we found him dead just weeks later it turned out he had no money, and although inconvenient if we had helped him it would of been good for us too.....

I strongly believe in what goes around comes around

the world would be a far better place if more people lended a helping hand

Violently overthrow the US government with extreme prejewdice
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/13/13 6:38 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Nebraska oil fields?

Well, we actually have oil wells in the western and southwestern
parts of the state.
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.
.
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message ...

Hi,
If he is not afraid of hard work, he can go to Alaska and get a job.
Sorry about the kid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you for agreeing with me. Trim text is polite, too.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Dean Hoffman" " wrote in message ...
On 7/13/13 6:38 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Nebraska oil fields?

Well, we actually have oil wells in the western and southwestern
parts of the state.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"nestork" wrote in message

What about his joining the military, like the Navy or Air Force.

Sadly, with the sequester and the withdrawal from AfRaq things aren't
looking good for new hires or the newly retired. I believe the Pentagon is
scheduled to cut 80,000 positions so tham means they can be pretty selective
now about who they hire, which they are when they can afford to be.

Even worse is that vets represent a very high proportion of the nation's
homeless.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/21678030/n...niform-street/

Veterans make up one in four homeless people in the United States, though
they are only 11 percent of the general adult population, according to a
report to be released Thursday.

The Air Force trains people
to work as jet engine mechanics, and that's a well paying job in
civilian life.

Funny you should mention that because my wife's working with a Vet's group
on a case that involves a well-trained AF mechanic whose skills are *not*
readily transferrable because working on maintainence requires specific
airframe certification so working on a F22 doesn't mean a lot to the
airlines. Beyond that, much aircraft mechanical and maintainence work (as I
understand it) is now done largely offshore by contractors in countries with
lower wages.

https://www.hsdl.org/?view&did=729477

With foreign labor costs less than 50% of those in the U.S., it is easy to
see that many air carriers have shifted their HMV (heavy maintenance visits)
to overseas providers, with estimated savings at $1 million per aircraft
each year.... In 2008, starting pay at Aeroman [an MRO provider in El
Salvador] was approximately $4,500 per year with veterans earning
approximately $15,000. That compares to the U.S. average of $52,000....
Narrow body HMV work tends to stay in the Western Hemisphere, with MRO
providers in Central America playing a significant role; lower labor costs
and shorter ferry flights contribute to cost savings.

There was a time, like you, I would have said "join up" but vets are having
such a hard time reintegrating into civilian society these days that I don't
see the future I used to see in a military life. Funds for retraining and
reintegrating former soldiers into society were among the first to go in the
cutbacks.

I have a friend whose recent HS graduate son is holed up in his room playing
video games and she's about to start charging rent and board to at least
encourage him to go to community college. She's at a loss to figure out how
to motivate him. I wish I had an answer for Metzspitzer but I haven't been
able to help my own friends. This post-crash generation of kids seems to be
really adrift. Unemployment among unskilled young people is much higher
than the national average. That true of veterans, too.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just learned today that a friend of my nephew (who is staying with
me) is homeless. The friend stayed here for 3 weeks before I blew a
fuse and insisted that my nephew took him home. It was only after the
boy left did I discover he was homeless.

He was getting a check from the government until he turned 18 and the
people he was staying with made him leave. I understand that the kid
was working at a fast food place, but his car blew the engine.

He did just graduate from school. I understand that the people he was
staying with also let him finish school before they asked him to
leave.

Why did they ask him to leave? Let me guess, he did nothing around
the house to help, he did nothing to help himself better his position.
He thinks he should get everything for free.

You know, there are people who provide foster care solely for the
money. When the money stops coming in, the kid is no longer welcome to
stick around. I have a relative whose mother had a houseful of foster
kids along with her own; it was her primary source of income. For all
we know, this kid was kicked out simply because his caretakers
wouldn't or couldn't feed and house him at their own expense.

I have a relative in a similar situation. He lived with us for a
while but finally moved out. He has friends in similar situations.
They have very little ambition and can't keep a job if they do get
one.

My youngest sister has a house full of 'throwaway' teenagers, along
with her own two kids. These are kids whose parents are world-class
****ups or just plain abusive - but the kids are good kids. Her
children got to know them at school and brought them home to visit.
The throwaways live with her family most or all of the time because
their parents either can't or won't take care of them - but they won't
relinquish them to foster care, either. So my sister and her husband
are unofficial foster parents and raise the kids as their own, at
their own expense.

Two of the kids will be starting college this fall, including one who
was recently reclaimed by his mother, who met a guy on the internet
and impulsively decided she and her son had to move to Texas right
away to live with her new boyfriend. Of course, once they showed up on
his doorstep he wanted nothing to do with either of them. The mom had
no money left and no place to go. The kid was frantic, because he'd
been accepted to a college back home and knew he had no future in
Texas beyond living on the streets. My sister bought him a bus ticket
and he left his mom and came back 'home'.

One of her previous throwaways actually auditioned for and was
accepted to Ringling Bros. clown college several years ago. That's
what he always wanted to do, so she drove him to Wisconsin where he
passed the audition. Now he works for the circus, of all things.

Sometimes the kids are screwups, but just as often it is that they are
being raised by parents who don't give a damn about them and never did.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Country Carpenter" wrote in message

Carpenter, you've once again shown the proof of an old adage.

There are more horse's asses than horses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 08:03:19 -0500, Moe DeLoughan wrote
in Re OT Homeless:

You know, there are people who provide foster care solely for the
money. When the money stops coming in, the kid is no longer welcome to
stick around. I have a relative whose mother had a houseful of foster
kids along with her own; it was her primary source of income. For all
we know, this kid was kicked out simply because his caretakers
wouldn't or couldn't feed and house him at their own expense.

snip

Interesting and heartwarming story Moe. Thanks for relating it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Metspitzer wrote:
I just learned today that a friend of my nephew (who is staying with
me) is homeless. The friend stayed here for 3 weeks before I blew a
fuse and insisted that my nephew took him home. It was only after
the boy left did I discover he was homeless.

He was getting a check from the government until he turned 18 and
the people he was staying with made him leave. I understand that
the kid was working at a fast food place, but his car blew the
engine.

He did just graduate from school. I understand that the people he
was staying with also let him finish school before they asked him to
leave.

This sounds like a kid who was in foster care and "aged out". That means the
state no longer pays the foster parents for his support.

Alabama has a lot of less than affluent areas and some folks take in kids to
help them but can't afford to help without that stipend.

Tell the kid to contact DHR to see what assistance is available.

Start here. http://dhr.alabama.gov/quicklinks/Ph_Nos.aspx

They can give him some guidance.

Frankly, I am bothered by a lot of responders here whose approach is to
blame the kid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 15, 2013 11:50:27 AM UTC-4, Charlie wrote:
"Country Carpenter" wrote in message

Carpenter, you've once again shown the proof of an old adage.

There are more horse's asses than horses.

Captain Sum Tin Wong
Wi To Lo
Ho Lee Fuk
Bang Dee Ow
The horse don't give a **** you capitalist piece of ****.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds reasonable.

I'd suggest he isn't homeless, he's transient.
Short term stays in many different places.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Charlie" wrote in message ...

This sounds like a kid who was in foster care and "aged out". That means the
state no longer pays the foster parents for his support.

Alabama has a lot of less than affluent areas and some folks take in kids to
help them but can't afford to help without that stipend.

Tell the kid to contact DHR to see what assistance is available.

Start here. http://dhr.alabama.gov/quicklinks/Ph_Nos.aspx

They can give him some guidance.

Frankly, I am bothered by a lot of responders here whose approach is to
blame the kid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 15, 2013 12:04:29 PM UTC-4, Charlie wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message

Metspitzer wrote:

[...]

He needs to grow up and destroy these capitalist ****bags.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 13, 2013 7:49:39 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Makes perfect sense, to me. However, professional

dependants may try various manipulation to get back

into your house.

The guy I tried to help, if he didn't get his way, he was

"depressed". If he still didn't get his way, he was

"suicidal" and that was supposed to make everyone

cater to him.

.

Christopher A. Young

Learn more about Jesus

www.lds.org

.

.

"Metspitzer" wrote in message ...

I have just taken on having my sister, my nephew

and my niece moving in with me. I really feel sorry

for my nephew's friend, but I am spread too thin to

take any more.

I hope he becomes homicidal and kills you and your christian family.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Frankly, I am bothered by a lot of responders here whose approach is to
blame the kid.

That is because we have real life experience with kids exactly as
described. Want to adapt a couple of them? I'll provide the names
and addresses. .