Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie[_7_] Charlie[_7_] is offline

Default OT Homeless

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Metspitzer wrote:
I just learned today that a friend of my nephew (who is staying with
me) is homeless. The friend stayed here for 3 weeks before I blew a
fuse and insisted that my nephew took him home. It was only after
the boy left did I discover he was homeless.

He was getting a check from the government until he turned 18 and
the people he was staying with made him leave. I understand that
the kid was working at a fast food place, but his car blew the
engine.

He did just graduate from school. I understand that the people he
was staying with also let him finish school before they asked him to
leave.

This sounds like a kid who was in foster care and "aged out". That means the
state no longer pays the foster parents for his support.

Alabama has a lot of less than affluent areas and some folks take in kids to
help them but can't afford to help without that stipend.

Tell the kid to contact DHR to see what assistance is available.

Start here. http://dhr.alabama.gov/quicklinks/Ph_Nos.aspx

They can give him some guidance.

Frankly, I am bothered by a lot of responders here whose approach is to
blame the kid.