Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default OT Homeless

Metspitzer wrote:
I just learned today that a friend of my nephew (who is staying with
me) is homeless. The friend stayed here for 3 weeks before I blew a
fuse and insisted that my nephew took him home. It was only after the
boy left did I discover he was homeless.

He was getting a check from the government until he turned 18 and the
people he was staying with made him leave. I understand that the kid
was working at a fast food place, but his car blew the engine.

He did just graduate from school. I understand that the people he was
staying with also let him finish school before they asked him to
leave.

I have suggested he contact some churches. I also suggested that he
try to get a job and pay coworkers to take him to and from "home". He
does have quite a few kids from school that he can rely on for a short
while.

I googled "help for the homeless" and got......
http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?...nning/homeless

Since I do not have any personal information about the boy, I could
not apply for anything listed. I suggested my nephew suggest the site
to the friend and let him do the applying.

Just from going to the site, it becomes pretty clear there is some
huge red tape and frustration on finding out what the kid would
qualify for. I think he is willing to work and I do not suspect the
kid is on drugs, but I really don't know. It does seem like a pretty
bad situation when you have no way to get to work and no place to
stay. BTW his home city and friends are around 45 miles from here and
it is a really small town.

Any other suggestions on how the kid could get help?

Hi,
If he is not afraid of hard work, he can go to Alaska and get a job.
Sorry about the kid.