Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Online Banking

Wells Fargo finally started allowing check deposits by cellphone in
Georgia. You can use your phone to log into the bank and deposit a
check by taking a photo of the front and back of the check.

As far as I know, you still can not scan a check with a home scanner
and upload the image to the banks's secure area. Being able to
deposit a check by cellphone is better than having to take it to the
bank, but I wonder why you could not do the same thing using a home
scanner? My scanner takes a much clearer image of the check than my
cellphone does.

I don't know if most scanners do this, but I know mine doesn't. In a
case of making a copy of a check or insurance card or driver's
license, it would be nice to be able to put the card on the scanner
and have it scan the picture of the front and then move the card down
and let the scanner take a picture of the back and combine both
images.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 14:34:43 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

[...]

I think you are thinking two different technologies.

Scanners are OCR ? ( larger files )

The photo is photography (file sizes)? but are what the bank requires.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 11:52:40 -0700, Oren wrote:

I think you are thinking two different technologies.

Scanners are OCR ? ( larger files )

The photo is photography (file sizes)? but are what the bank requires.

Scanners can make photo files too. All sorts of options. Maybe that
is one of the problems, the phone will give a consistent image from
everyone while every scanner may be set to default to some other file,
TIFF, PDF, JPG, whatever.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 15:01:46 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 11:52:40 -0700, Oren wrote:

I think you are thinking two different technologies.

Scanners are OCR ? ( larger files )

The photo is photography (file sizes)? but are what the bank requires.

Scanners can make photo files too. All sorts of options. Maybe that
is one of the problems, the phone will give a consistent image from
everyone while every scanner may be set to default to some other file,
TIFF, PDF, JPG, whatever.

I'm guessing many of the new smart phones may be using the same camera
(or compatible), file format, etc. If Wells Fargo gets it off the
ground so will other banks. ATM's already deposit a check...

I do not bother myself with all this "stuff".
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
[...]

How does the bank know that you are honest and don't deposit the same check
into multiple banks at the same time and how does the issuer of the check
get the cancelled check back? I would imagine the bank would allow you to
photograph the check as a deposit but possibly they place a hold on the
money until the physical check is provided. It seems a system that is ripe
with potential for fraud. Also what do the banks charge for this type of
service.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 17:43:28 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

The service is free. I think your take on the hold is correct. It is
just like any check. If there is insufficient funds or if you try to
cash the check twice, the bank can subtract the deposit and may or may
not charge you a fee.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

How does the bank know that you are honest and don't deposit the same check
into multiple banks at the same time and how does the issuer of the check
get the cancelled check back? I would imagine the bank would allow you to
photograph the check as a deposit but possibly they place a hold on the
money until the physical check is provided. It seems a system that is ripe
with potential for fraud. Also what do the banks charge for this type of
service.

My bank knows I'm an honest guy.

I guess you can deposit into multiple banks, but it will eventually
get caught by the issuing bank when they start to get duplicates. Each
check does have a number on it so the second one would be kicked out.

The banks to not return checks any more. I don't even get an image,
but I can print one from the on-line account if needed. Our
commercial account at work does return images (but not the actual
check) and the checks I deposit by phone come back yellow instead of
white. Not sure why or why it would matter.

As for fees, they do not charge. Yet. I have read that banks are
considering charging for the convenience of not visiting them. I
don't remember the last time I actually spoke with anyone at my bank.
Oh, about a year ago they did call and asked if I wanted to borrow any
money. I've not spoken with the tellers or branch manger in a few
years and use the ATM at the supermarket.

When I make a phone deposit, in minutes I get an email that it was
received. Then I get an email by 7 PM that it is approved and in my
account.

Things happen quickly now, no more living on the float like you could
in the past.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

I figured that banks implemented this on smartphones because it gives
them a degree of control over the app and the environment it runs in.
But that doesn't assure that the thing being imaged is actually a check.
Just a coule days ago some tweakers were busted with the printer they
were using to make and pass bad checks. So these apps might really be a
tweaker'a best friend. I think the reality is that banks don't care
about fraud. It's a small % of their transactions and they do everying
they can to shift the costs to someone else.

When a check is converted with one of these apps does it become a
subatitute check or an EFT?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/30/13 2:34 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

This older article has some background info on the process

"New wave of banking: Check deposit via smart-phone photo"

http://phys.org/news198954885.html

It says there are some Credit Unions that allow use of home PC scanners.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06-30-2013 17:43, EXT wrote:
How does the bank know that you are honest and don't deposit the same
check into multiple banks at the same time and how does the issuer of
the check get the cancelled check back?

They don't. He doesn't.

But when his bank gets the second request for funds for the same amount
from the same account with the same numbers, the fraud-stompers are
alerted immediately. They will probably make it to the airport before
you do.

If you are NOT cheating, the photo you sent eventually ends up at the
payer's bank, who will let him see it online for free, or print a copy
for an unjustified fee.

--
Wes Groleau

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible
will make violent revolution inevitable.
€” John F. Kennedy

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wes Groleau wrote:
On 06-30-2013 17:43, EXT wrote:
How does the bank know that you are honest and don't deposit the same
check into multiple banks at the same time and how does the issuer of
the check get the cancelled check back?

They don't. He doesn't.

But when his bank gets the second request for funds for the same amount
from the same account with the same numbers, the fraud-stompers are
alerted immediately. They will probably make it to the airport before you do.

If you are NOT cheating, the photo you sent eventually ends up at the
payer's bank, who will let him see it online for free, or print a copy
for an unjustified fee.

Wow...I'm really glad this check deposit app is available. In 72 hours I'm
going to receive the $12,700,000 check that the corrupt, senior officials
in South Africa have been keeping from me. A really nice guy sent me an
email and all I had to do was send him my personal information. Now that he
has that he is going to free up the funds that were approved a long time
ago but delayed by the corrupt officials.

Once that check arrives, I'm gonna snap a picture of it, send it to my bank
and I'll be on easy street.

Sweet!

OT Wells Fargo's online banking sucks Metspitzer Home Repair 33 June 9th 11 02:09 PM
OT Online banking rant Metspitzer Home Repair 26 March 24th 11 06:55 PM
Banking KD7HB Metalworking 0 July 31st 09 06:15 PM
current accounts with online banking and NO TIMEOUT? John Stumbles UK diy 53 February 11th 09 11:05 AM
OT but DIY for banking Broadback UK diy 16 August 4th 07 10:51 PM