Posted to alt.home.repair

Default hot tub problem

I have a hot tub. Had it for 8 years now without problem until December
2012. (I run my hot tub all winter or should I say year round.) The
power went off due to a winter storm. |It did not come back on for 48
hours. I had my hot tub running. I emptied the tub and filled it with
anti freeze however I could not run the motor to ensure that the anti
freeze spread all over and I completely forgot about it when the power
finally came back on. About a month ago, I cleaned the hot tub and began
to fill it. It started leaking around the tub. I did notice that when
the water is below the jets, there is no leaking. It's when the water
covers the jets where the leaking takes place. It's hard to get someone
to come and look at it as they charge an arm and a leg. I live in a small
town so to get service I would have to look out of town which is approx
100 miles south of here. I would appreciate it if someone could possibly
help me with this before I go out and pay an arm and a leg. Is it the
jets? Is it piping? Is it the shell? What kind of repair work am I
looking at?

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...em-753557-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 23:44:01 +0000, MJAY
wrote:

Is it the
jets? Is it piping? Is it the shell?

Pick one. Move to the next one for inspection. Something should be
obvious. Hard to tell from here.

Where do live that you need antifreeze in a hot tub?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 24, 2013 7:44:01 PM UTC-4, MJAY wrote:
[...]

Most of them have removable panels on the sides. Take all the panels off and see if you can spot the leak. If it's like mine there may be foam sprayed over parts of the tub from the inside. You might have to tear some of the foam off to see the backs of the jets. Mine has leaked a few times. Usually turned out to be a loose fitting or hose. Once it was a pump seal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 10:04:35 AM UTC-4, jamesgang wrote:
On Monday, June 24, 2013 7:44:01 PM UTC-4, MJAY wrote:

I have a hot tub. Had it for 8 years now without problem until December

2012. (I run my hot tub all winter or should I say year round.) The

power went off due to a winter storm. |It did not come back on for 48

hours. I had my hot tub running. I emptied the tub and filled it with

anti freeze however I could not run the motor to ensure that the anti

freeze spread all over

That was probably a mistake. If it was full of warm water, left
covered it would have stayed above freezing for 48 hours,
probably a lot longer.

and I completely forgot about it when the power

finally came back on.

So any water that was in the pipes where the
antifreeze didn't get could have frozen, busting
a pipe, cracking a pump, etc.

[...]

Given the scenario, I'd say not likely it's leaking around
the spot where the jets are sealed to the tub. More
likely something in the plumbing system underneath froze
and cracked. Before even taking off all the panels, I'd
open the main access one and have a look starting there.
Then if needed, more panels next.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 13:06:36 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 10:04:35 AM UTC-4, jamesgang wrote:
On Monday, June 24, 2013 7:44:01 PM UTC-4, MJAY wrote:

I have a hot tub. Had it for 8 years now without problem until December

2012. (I run my hot tub all winter or should I say year round.) The

power went off due to a winter storm. |It did not come back on for 48

hours. I had my hot tub running. I emptied the tub and filled it with

anti freeze however I could not run the motor to ensure that the anti

freeze spread all over

That was probably a mistake. If it was full of warm water, left
covered it would have stayed above freezing for 48 hours,
probably a lot longer.

The first winter I had my hot tub [a 10yr old tub that I had replaced
the perimeter insulation with 2" rigid foam panels] the power went out
for a week. I left the cover closed and monitored the temp of the
enclosure with a remote thermometer that I had placed there when I
installed the tub.

In a week the temp dropped to about 60F degrees. Outside temps
15-30F most days- but warmed to 50 the last day.

If it was 0F and staying there I'd run a cord from the generator and
put a light bulb in there to keep the chill off.

Jim

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

As a thermal storage medium, water works pretty well. We have an extra hot water heater in the garage for our bonus room bath and outdoor shower. It's on a switch so we can turn it off when not needed. But I can use it days after it's been off and still get pretty warm water out of it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:04:35 AM UTC-7, jamesgang wrote:
[...]

Most of the one’s here in Southern California DON’T have removable panels ANYWHERE. My amazement of how anyone would let a contractor build something that you can’t get maintenance access is only surpassed by the amazement of the owners’ when I tell them that I will be cutting their expensive natural stone just to give them an estimate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 6:07:20 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

I'm guessing you are talking about built-ins. The op sounded a lot like they had a stand alone.