Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Box with exhausted pipe and electrical wires in the basment!

Hi all
First thank you all for all your help and support for my previous questions. People in this group are amazing, thanks once again.

I have a dryer in the basement which I have not used till now. I have found that it does not have a vent! see the pic below please

http://tinypic.com/r/ftisgh/5

Then I have found a box in the basement which lead to an exhausted pipe to the wall and the to the outside of the house, but electrical wires goes inside the box as well. Please see pic below

http://tinypic.com/r/t8ayhe/5

Another pic

http://tinypic.com/r/2jcsrbb/5

and from the outside the house, I see this box

http://tinypic.com/r/rc9dtg/5

What this box is for? why It has an exhausted pipe? I thought that pipe has been misplace and it suppose to go to the dryer!

Any help would be very much appreciate it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/20/2013 12:10 PM, leza wang wrote:
[...]

Why is it so hard to figure out? Where does the box wire come from? A
switch, your breaker panel, etc? Does the outside vent have a flap over
the opening or a screen over the opening? Is there a name plate on the
big inside box? Open the box and see what is inside!

Where does the other end of the vent pipe go? I see it disappear into
the some of some big thing. What is that.

Do some detective work and you will soon know what all this is for.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

leza wang wrote:
[...]

I don't know what it is either.

The metal box that the exhaust/vent pipe comes out of looks like it is
mounted on a wall. Is there something on the other side of that wall -- a
crawl space, a room, or something else?

I wonder if it could be some kind of radon system where it vents basement
air or crawl space air out to the outside of the house. Or, if the box is
connected to some kind of powder room or bath room that has no windows,
maybe it's a vent for that to the outside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 20, 2013 3:10:32 PM UTC-4, leza wang wrote:
[...]

Maybe it's a power ventfor the dryer. Pull the dryer out and see if there is a hookup for a piece of flex dryer vent hose behind it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 12:10:32 -0700 (PDT), leza wang
wrote:

[...]

I can't tell where in relation to the dryer is the box with the pipe.
??

Your fourth picture looks like a dryer exhaust outlet from a basement,
but normally the pipe comes straight from the dryer. Is there a
second dryer pipe sized opening in the box? Any writing on the box,
a label?

Does your house look like your neighbors' houses? If so, ask them if
you can see their basements. If not, ask if they can come to yours
and tell you what is going on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 13:32:33 -0700 (PDT), jamesgang
wrote:

[...]

Her first picture was looking down the back of the dryer. Nuthin
there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/20/2013 3:10 PM, leza wang wrote:
[...]

It looks like a wall mounted exhaust fan. Is it a bathroom on the other
side of that wall?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 17:51:51 -0400, RBM wrote:

[...]

Yes it does, now that you mention it . Or maybe in the next room
is a sauna, or a heated swimming pool

Maybe the dryer was never used? Or only used in the winter when it
was allowed to put its exhaust into the basement? Maybe in the summer
the previous owners dried their clothes on the line.

I have a white plastic box with a flapper valve that routes the drier
air to a 4" hose or duct going out of the house, or to a screened
exhaust vent into the basement. I use the second one if the house
still needs heat or humidity.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 20, 2013 5:51:51 PM UTC-4, RBM wrote:
[...]

thanks for the reply, no not bathroom but the dryer and washer there behind that half wall. the whole room is for the dryer, washer, furnace and hot tank water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/20/2013 10:21 PM, leza wang wrote:
[...]

If it is an "inline fan" for the dryer vent, it should have a collar at
the bottom of the box, that a 4" dryer hose would attach to. There would
also need to be some type of mechanism to turn the fan on
"automatically" when the dryer is on. It could be turned on by the air
pressure from the dryer, itself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*As RBM stated, it looks like an exhaust fan. Can you show a picture of the
other side of the wall?

You could probably just use that exhaust vent for the dryer. Disconnect the
existing duct and reroute it to behind the dryer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 21, 2013 6:48:04 AM UTC-4, John G wrote:
[...]

I would not disconnect anything until it's understood what
this really is and what it's doing. If it is an exhaust fan,
somebody went to a lot of trouble to install it and it's
apparently not serving the dryer. Some questions:

The outside pic of the vent, I assume that vent is located where
the 4" pipe from the mystery box exits the house? Correct?
What is on the other side of the wall where the box is?

From one pic, it looks like there is some white plastic,
maybe PVC showing at the bottom of the mystery box? Can
you take a pic of that?

Have you looked all over this mystery box for any kind of
identifying label? Very unusual to not have a name on it,
rating plate, something that has some info as to who made
it and what it is

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

From one pic, it looks like there is some white plastic,
maybe PVC showing at the bottom of the mystery box? Can
you take a pic of that?

Have you looked all over this mystery box for any kind of
identifying label? Very unusual to not have a name on it,
rating plate, something that has some info as to who made
it and what it is

I agree that more photos may help -- maybe one of the bottom of the box and
one or two from the other side of the wall at the level where the box is to
what is there. And, maybe a longer wider view horizontal shot showing the
dryer and the wall behind it.

I am picturing that the box is on one wall and vents out to the outside from
there, and the dryer is on the other side of the wall and maybe could/should
connect to the box from that room through the wall.