Posted to alt.home.repair

Default monitor num times it turns on - automatically shut off if too many in10 minutes.

This is the situation, we live in the Caribbean renting a house. The non-potable water for the house is a cistern, w/water supplied by the local government. The house has a pump that pushes water up to a tank on top of the house when it gets a bit low. This is an automatic process when "the pump is turned on". So far, no problem.

This house, it turns out, has a public bathroom attached to it. And you guessed it: this public bathroom uses -our- private water. While I don't mind sharing.... anyone, it turns out- can leave the water running, especially if they are a bit inebriated, as there is a bar nearby.

Usually this is not a problem, as I am home a lot and would just shut the pump off if it's the middle of the night or something.

I'm thinking of an automatic solution to this... To automate this, I need a device that will monitor how many times the pump turns on. If it's, say, 2x or 3x every 10 minutes... meaning that the water was most likely left on.... this device would control a relay that will shut the pump off for an hour. Then try again after that. If the frequency of the pump turning on is spaced out more than 10 minutes at a time, then close the relay and let the pump do its thing.

Does any manufacturer make anything like this?

Any helpful suggestions are appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

feedscrn wrote:
[...]

Why go crazy with fancy electronics? Find a source for something like this
and install it in the public bathroom. It's a pretty common way to avoid
the issue you are having.

http://www.sanliv.com/self-closing-s...n-faucet-20105

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 5:35:09 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Why go crazy with fancy electronics? Find a source for something like this

and install it in the public bathroom. It's a pretty common way to avoid

the issue you are having.

http://www.sanliv.com/self-closing-s...n-faucet-20105

Thank You for your suggestion.... I guess I need to say that the bathroom is totally out of my control... The only thing I have control over is the pump and the power (and cost) for it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 5:35:09 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Why go crazy with fancy electronics? Find a source for something like this

and install it in the public bathroom. It's a pretty common way to avoid

the issue you are having.

http://www.sanliv.com/self-closing-s...n-faucet-20105

Thank You for your suggestion.... I guess I need to say that the bathroom is totally out of my control... The only thing I have control over is the pump and the power (and cost) for it.

And no.. it's not just the sink. It's mostly the toilet, in which the owner responsible doesn't really care to fix.... consequently it leaks constantly while it's on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

feedscrn posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Thank You for your suggestion.... I guess I need to say that the bathroom is totally out of my control... The only thing I have control over is the pump and the power (and cost) for it.

And no.. it's not just the sink. It's mostly the toilet, in which the owner responsible doesn't really care to fix.... consequently it leaks constantly while it's on.

Put a valve in after your needs then turn it off.
Why should you be responsible for a public
bathroom which doesn't seem too public because the
"toilet owner" won't fix it. Claim ecology.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

feedscrn wrote:
[...]

How big is the roof tank? If of reasonable size, 500 - 1000 gallons or so,
I'd just put a switch for the pump and turn it off when I went to bed.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 12:52:06 -0700 (PDT), feedscrn
wrote:

[...]

If it is your water flowing through your pipes it seems the obvious
solution would require a little plumbing.

Option one:
If the connection to the public restroom is at the end of the plumbing
supply of your house simply eliminate that connection and put a cap at
a convenient location.

Option two:
If the connection to the public restroom is located in the middle of
the plumbing supply of your house simply remove the tee and replace it
with an elbow that will supply the remainder of your house but not the
restroom.

Obviously the same would apply for the drain and vent lines if the
restroom is using your plumbing for that as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 7:13:55 PM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
feedscrn wrote:

How big is the roof tank? If of reasonable size, 500 - 1000 gallons or so,

I'd just put a switch for the pump and turn it off when I went to bed.

dadiOH

____________________________

Thanks for your reply.... I thought of that... Actually I've been doing this for years... But the problem is that I'm not home all the time... Sometimes I'm back in the US, sometimes I'm out for 3-4 days... I need a 'cop' to monitor the pump for me at this point.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 7:23:19 PM UTC-4, Gordon Shumway wrote:

If it is your water flowing through your pipes it seems the obvious

solution would require a little plumbing.

Option one:

If the connection to the public restroom is at the end of the plumbing

supply of your house simply eliminate that connection and put a cap at

a convenient location.

Option two:

If the connection to the public restroom is located in the middle of

the plumbing supply of your house simply remove the tee and replace it

with an elbow that will supply the remainder of your house but not the

restroom.

Obviously the same would apply for the drain and vent lines if the

restroom is using your plumbing for that as well.

That's a nice idea... but it's not possible... That is why I'm looking for the original solution in the OP.... There are no pipes going to the bathroom... For some reason, the owner made sure of that.

The ONLY Thing I have control of is the pump, and the power to it... That is it...

Sorry it makes it complicated... but it's not my house... This is what I have to deal with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 7:23:19 PM UTC-4, Gordon Shumway wrote:
If it is your water flowing through your pipes it seems the obvious

solution would require a little plumbing.

Option one:

If the connection to the public restroom is at the end of the plumbing

supply of your house simply eliminate that connection and put a cap at

a convenient location.

Option two:

If the connection to the public restroom is located in the middle of

the plumbing supply of your house simply remove the tee and replace it

with an elbow that will supply the remainder of your house but not the

restroom.

Obviously the same would apply for the drain and vent lines if the

restroom is using your plumbing for that as well.

That's a nice idea... but it's not possible... All the pipes are underground, inaccessible. That is why I'm looking for the original solution in the OP.... There are no accessible pipes going to the bathroom... For some reason, the owner made sure of that. I looked... :-(

The ONLY Thing I have control of is the pump, and the power to it... That is it...

Sorry it makes it complicated... but it's not my house... This is what I have to deal with.
Posted to alt.home.repair

feedscrn wrote:
On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 5:35:09 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Why go crazy with fancy electronics? Find a source for something like this

and install it in the public bathroom. It's a pretty common way to avoid

the issue you are having.

http://www.sanliv.com/self-closing-s...n-faucet-20105

Thank You for your suggestion.... I guess I need to say that the bathroom
is totally out of my control... The only thing I have control over is the
pump and the power (and cost) for it.

I like the ones you have to hold on. How was that supposed to work ?

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

feedscrn wrote:
On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 5:35:09 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Why go crazy with fancy electronics? Find a source for something like this

and install it in the public bathroom. It's a pretty common way to avoid

the issue you are having.

http://www.sanliv.com/self-closing-s...n-faucet-20105

Thank You for your suggestion.... I guess I need to say that the bathroom
is totally out of my control... The only thing I have control over is the
pump and the power (and cost) for it.

And no.. it's not just the sink. It's mostly the toilet, in which the
owner responsible doesn't really care to fix.... consequently it leaks
constantly while it's on.

Put a on button on entrance with auto shutoff.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Careful! Derby Dad appears to believe that the
purpose of this forum is to provide helpful
suggestions in ways you'd not considered. I
tried providing more information as he brought
up ideas, and he didn't seem to enjoy that process.
You're in trouble, now!
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..

Thank You for your suggestion.... I guess I need to say that the bathroom is totally out of my control... The only thing I have control over is the pump and the power (and cost) for it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sigh. Now you've done it. Providing TWO more
posts with more information. Derby is really going
to go to town with you.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"feedscrn" wrote in message ...

1) Thank You for your suggestion.... I guess I need to say that the bathroom is totally out of my control... The only thing I have control over is the pump and the power (and cost) for it.

2) And no.. it's not just the sink. It's mostly the toilet, in which the owner responsible doesn't really care to fix.... consequently it leaks constantly while it's on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 19, 8:48*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Sigh. Now you've done it. Providing TWO more
posts with more information. Derby is really going
to go to town with you.
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
* *www.lds.org
.
.

"feedscrn" wrote in ...

1) Thank You for your suggestion.... I guess I need to say that the bathroom is totally out of my control... The only thing I have control over is the pump and the power (and cost) for it.

2) And no.. it's not just the sink. It's mostly the toilet, in which the owner responsible doesn't really care to fix.... consequently it leaks constantly while it's on.

What about a timer in the electricity to the pump, maybe on for one
minute every 20-30 minutes, sometime there will be a wait for water,
sometimes not. When you are there, you can change it to whatever
works best for you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 15:21:07 -0700 (PDT), feedscrn
wrote:

On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 5:35:09 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Why go crazy with fancy electronics? Find a source for something like this

and install it in the public bathroom. It's a pretty common way to avoid

the issue you are having.

http://www.sanliv.com/self-closing-s...n-faucet-20105

Thank You for your suggestion.... I guess I need to say that the bathroom is totally out of my control...

Aren't you a member of the public? Can't you or some friend or hiree
of yours use it like any other person. While you're in there maybe
you can change the flapper that is causing the toilet to leak, and
change the faucet if they leave that running. Instead of calling
the mysterious man Johnny Appleseed, he could be Johnny ToiletPlugger.

The toilet at least can probably be done in no more time than a normal
person might spend in the toilet for other reasons.

The only thing I have control over is the pump and the power (and cost) for it.

And no.. it's not just the sink. It's mostly the toilet, in which the owner responsible doesn't really care to fix.... consequently it leaks constantly while it's on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

thanks for your post... nice try though.

Looking for an electronic device that can monitor how many times a device, say: a water pump- turns on in, maybe 10 minutes. If it turns on more than twice, wait an hour and look again. If it is not turning on so often after an hour, let it rip.

Rinse and repeat.

The thing is that the cistern has precious water.... and I don't want to see it all go down the drain... literally.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for your post... nice try though.

Looking for an electronic device that can monitor how many times a device, say: a water pump- turns on in, in lets say: 10 minutes. If it turns on more than twice, wait an hour and look again. If it is not turning on so often after an hour, let it rip.

Rinse and repeat.

The thing is that the cistern has precious water.... and I don't want to see it all go down the drain... literally.

Posted to alt.home.repair

feedscrn wrote:

How big is the roof tank? If of reasonable size, 500 - 1000
gallons or so,

I'd just put a switch for the pump and turn it off when I went to
bed.

dadiOH

____________________________

Thanks for your reply.... I thought of that... Actually I've been
doing this for years... But the problem is that I'm not home all
the time... Sometimes I'm back in the US, sometimes I'm out for 3-4
days... I need a 'cop' to monitor the pump for me at this point.

Got it. Maybe look for something to monitor water flow rather than pump
cycles? Numerous soft water devices have such. What I'm thinking is
something like this...

1. water flowing?
yes
shut off pump after x minutes
wait x minutes, turn pump on, goto #1
no
pump on
goto #1
____________________

Another thought is something like a sprinkler control that would simply turn
the pump on at pre-set intervals for a pre-set amount of time.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 19, 9:47*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Careful! Derby Dad appears to believe that the
purpose of this forum is to provide helpful
suggestions in ways you'd not considered. I
tried providing more information as he brought
up ideas, and he didn't seem to enjoy that process.
You're in trouble, now!
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
* *www.lds.org
.
.

"feedscrn" wrote in ...

Thank You for your suggestion.... I guess I need to say that the bathroom is totally out of my control... The only thing I have control over is the pump and the power (and cost) for it.

Careful! You appear to be taking this thread off-topic. Stormin has
some strong feelings on that issue. He may have something to say about
that...let's wait and see.
Posted to alt.home.repair

So, drunks use the bathroom and you want to shut off the water? I see that being a problem.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"feedscrn" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ok how about this
Buy a programmable timer from radio shack etc and set it to turn on the power for 10 minutes every hour.
That will be the most the pump can then run.
You don't need to monitor the status of the pump or anything, just cycle the power.
The pump will come on durning the 10 minutes when it needs to.
If you are using less water the it won't come on during the 10 minute window.
Simple
Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 21:41:00 -0700 (PDT), feedscrn
wrote:

Thanks for your post... nice try though.

Looking for an electronic device that can monitor how many times a device, say: a water pump- turns on in, in lets say: 10 minutes. If it turns on more than twice, wait an hour and look again. If it is not turning on so often after an hour, let it rip.

Rinse and repeat.

The thing is that the cistern has precious water.... and I don't want to see it all go down the drain... literally.

I thought you said it isn't your house. So force the owner to take of
it, or live with it. Whatever you do will be considered sabotage by
whoever maintains the public bathroom. I mean, you want to cut off
water flow there for some periods of time, right?
There's nothing you can do except convince the owners to address it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06-19-2013 18:18, feedscrn wrote:

The only thing I have control over is the pump and the power
(and cost) for it.

And the option to rent from someone more reasonable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Thanks for your post... nice try though.

Looking for an electronic device that can monitor how many times a device, say: a water pump- turns on in, in lets say: 10 minutes. If it turns on more than twice, wait an hour and look again. If it is not turning on so often after an hour, let it rip.

Rinse and repeat.

The thing is that the cistern has precious water.... and I don't want to see it all go down the drain... literally.

I thought you said it isn't your house. So force the owner to take of

it, or live with it. Whatever you do will be considered sabotage by

whoever maintains the public bathroom. I mean, you want to cut off

water flow there for some periods of time, right?

There's nothing you can do except convince the owners to address it.

Sorry for the delay in replying... Thanks for your suggestion. There are two 'water sources' for the bathroom... The tank on top of the house... which is supplied by the pump from a huge cistern dug in underneath the house. If the pump is off, the tank will still supply some water... I want to be able to shut off the pump so that if the water is left on in the public bathroom, the pump - which is triggered on whenever the water in the tank on top of the house gets low, is shut off... to prevent water in the cistern from flowing out. This usually happens at night... I can check to see whatever is left on in the bathroom the next morning, and shut it off.

People suggested using a timer. Thanks. This is probably the quickest, simplest and cheapest idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 5:35:09 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Why go crazy with fancy electronics? Find a source for something like this

and install it in the public bathroom. It's a pretty common way to avoid

the issue you are having.

http://www.sanliv.com/self-closing-s...n-faucet-20105

Thank You for your suggestion.... I guess I need to say that the bathroom is totally out of my control...

Aren't you a member of the public? Can't you or some friend or hiree

of yours use it like any other person. While you're in there maybe

you can change the flapper that is causing the toilet to leak, and

change the faucet if they leave that running. Instead of calling

the mysterious man Johnny Appleseed, he could be Johnny ToiletPlugger.

The toilet at least can probably be done in no more time than a normal

person might spend in the toilet for other reasons.

You're suggesting that I 'fix the flapper'... There are two problems with this, unfortunately... one: The flapper works... The floating ball thingie that supposed to be in the toilet is missing, so when the water valve is turned on, the water just flows like there is no tomorrow.

and two: Me fixing the toilet would set a precedent... So that whenever the bathroom appliances need fixing in the future, they would start to come to me, and probably hold me responsible to fix. I want to avoid this scenario altogether.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You can't fix the toilet without being seen? Follow these steps:

1 - Set your clock for whatever is considered "after hours" for this bathroom
2 - Put on a disguise
3 - Put an Out-Of-Order sign on the door
4 - Lock/Barricade the door so no one can get in
5 - Fix the toilet
6 - Unlock/Unbarricade the door
7 - Walk out of the bathroom
8 - Option 1: If there is no one outside the bathroom, remove the Out-Of-Order sign
8 - Option 2: If there is someone outside the bathroom say "Darn, it really is out of order!"
9 - Go Home

If you used Step 8 Option 2, don't worry about it. Someone will eventually remove the Out-Of-Order sign or you can do it later when no one is around.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 7:34:17 PM UTC-4, feedscrn wrote:
The ONLY Thing I have control of is the pump, and the power to it... That is it...
Sorry it makes it complicated... but it's not my house... This is what I have to deal with.

I don't see how your cockamaime, nonexistent electronic doodad is going to make any difference either.

The toilet and sink simply drain the tank when the pump is off, yes? Takes more than an hour to drain the tank this way, yes?

If so you are not going to save a single drop of water.