Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rebar needed? underneath 18" tile floor in 16 story building.

Should have been steel reinforcing in the cement under the tile?

I was at a 14th floor apartment being remodeled. 18" square, ~1/2"
thick, marble-like tile being put down in the living room. They ran
out of tile so we could see the edge of what had been done. About 1"
of cement beneath the tile.

AIUI, underneath everything is a concrete floor. Isn't that true for
any 16-story, 40-year old building?

Someone commented that there should have been steel reinforcing in the
cement under the tile? Is that true?

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
Should have been steel reinforcing in the cement under the tile?

I was at a 14th floor apartment being remodeled. 18" square, ~1/2"
thick, marble-like tile being put down in the living room. They
ran out of tile so we could see the edge of what had been done.
About 1" of cement beneath the tile.

AIUI, underneath everything is a concrete floor. Isn't that true
for any 16-story, 40-year old building?

Someone commented that there should have been steel reinforcing in
the cement under the tile? Is that true?

In the floor, yes. And there most certainly is.

In the mortar bed under the tile and on top of the floor, no.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
Should have been steel reinforcing in the cement under the tile?

I was at a 14th floor apartment being remodeled. 18" square, ~1/2"
thick, marble-like tile being put down in the living room. They ran
out of tile so we could see the edge of what had been done. About 1"
of cement beneath the tile.

AIUI, underneath everything is a concrete floor. Isn't that true for
any 16-story, 40-year old building?

Someone commented that there should have been steel reinforcing in the
cement under the tile? Is that true?

Hi,
If you want to see rebar you have to dig into the concrete. Rebar is
imbedded.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 05:49:11 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

micky wrote:
Should have been steel reinforcing in the cement under the tile?

I was at a 14th floor apartment being remodeled. 18" square, ~1/2"
thick, marble-like tile being put down in the living room. They ran
out of tile so we could see the edge of what had been done. About 1"
of cement beneath the tile.

AIUI, underneath everything is a concrete floor. Isn't that true for
any 16-story, 40-year old building?

Someone commented that there should have been steel reinforcing in the
cement under the tile? Is that true?

Hi,
If you want to see rebar you have to dig into the concrete. Rebar is
imbedded.

Yeah, but because the contractors ran out of tile with only 4 pieces
yet to put down, I thought some wire mesh might be sticking out. Or
at least my brother's grown step-son must have thought so. But he's
a pretty nice guy, and my brother could have done a lot worse.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 03:47:52 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

micky wrote:
Should have been steel reinforcing in the cement under the tile?

I was at a 14th floor apartment being remodeled. 18" square, ~1/2"
thick, marble-like tile being put down in the living room. They
ran out of tile so we could see the edge of what had been done.
About 1" of cement beneath the tile.

AIUI, underneath everything is a concrete floor. Isn't that true
for any 16-story, 40-year old building?

Someone commented that there should have been steel reinforcing in
the cement under the tile? Is that true?

In the floor, yes. And there most certainly is.

In the mortar bed under the tile and on top of the floor, no.

That's what I thought. One of my family members said otherwise, and I
was checking out how much he knows.

(It was someone on the other side of the family of course, an in-law.
:-) My brother doesn't know the answer but he woudln't speculate
about what he doesn't know. That's why he's the only M.D. I really
trust.)