Posted to alt.home.repair
cj cj is offline

Default gas-oil mix

My new Tanaka weed whip instruction manual calls for a gas oil mixture
of between 25:1 and 50:1. That seems kind of vague to me. My Echo leaf
blower calls for 40:1 and my Poulan chainsaw calls for 50:1. Running my
Poulan on a 40:1 seems to work fine, and I am planning on running the
Tanaka with a mix of 40:1. Is it super critical to stick with the
recommended mix for each piece of equipment ?

thanks CJ
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 09:02:54 -0400, cj wrote in
Re gas-oil mix:

My new Tanaka weed whip instruction manual calls for a gas oil mixture
of between 25:1 and 50:1. That seems kind of vague to me. My Echo leaf
blower calls for 40:1 and my Poulan chainsaw calls for 50:1. Running my
Poulan on a 40:1 seems to work fine, and I am planning on running the
Tanaka with a mix of 40:1. Is it super critical to stick with the
recommended mix for each piece of equipment ?

thanks CJ

I often run an engine that calls for 50:1 at 40:1 because the 40:1
covers several engines that I have. However, I wouldn't go more than
the 40:1 in the 50:1 as it might cause plug fouling.

It seems like most newer 2-cycles are now designed for 50:1.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/2/2013 8:02 AM, cj wrote:
My new Tanaka weed whip instruction manual calls for a gas oil mixture
of between 25:1 and 50:1. That seems kind of vague to me. My Echo leaf
blower calls for 40:1 and my Poulan chainsaw calls for 50:1. Running my
Poulan on a 40:1 seems to work fine, and I am planning on running the
Tanaka with a mix of 40:1. Is it super critical to stick with the
recommended mix for each piece of equipment ?

Why do you care?

You run your Poulan with 40:1 vs the 50:1 that they recommend.

Now you buy a Tanaka whose manual tells you to use 25:1 to 50:1 and
you're going to drop 40:1 in - very nearly the middle of their sweet
spot AND following their recommendation.

A bit early on Sunday for a troll to be out isn't it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 2, 9:18*am, CRNG wrote:
On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 09:02:54 -0400, cj wrote in
Re gas-oil mix:

My new Tanaka weed whip instruction manual calls for a gas oil mixture
of between 25:1 and 50:1. That seems kind of vague to me. My Echo leaf
blower calls for 40:1 and my Poulan chainsaw calls for 50:1. Running my
Poulan on a 40:1 seems to work fine, and I am planning on running the
Tanaka with a mix of 40:1. Is it super critical to stick with the
recommended mix for each piece of equipment ?

thanks CJ

I often run an engine that calls for 50:1 at 40:1 because the 40:1
covers several engines that I have. *However, I wouldn't go more than
the 40:1 in the 50:1 as it might cause plug fouling.

It seems like most newer 2-cycles are now designed for 50:1.

I agree. If you have some eqpt that calls for 40 and some
for 50, I wouldn't have two seperate mixes. I'd split the diff
and go with 45.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd run the both on the richer mix, the 40:1.
Worst case, fouled plug and some carbon
in the muffler. If you run too lean, the risk
is engine damage, and loss of warranty.

In regards the OP, they usually aren't fussy.
I'd run the richest mix in all the machines.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
wrote in message ...

I agree. If you have some eqpt that calls for 40 and some
for 50, I wouldn't have two seperate mixes. I'd split the diff
and go with 45.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 10:23:26 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'd run the both on the richer mix, the 40:1.

That's what I do.

I save the original 2+ounce 40:1 oil containers that
came with the unit, and then I buy the replacement
two-stroke oil in standard quart sizes.

Then I refill the 40:1 containers, so that I always have a
convenient mixing procedure when I need more two-stroke gas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 15:12:16 +0000, Danny D wrote:

Then I refill the 40:1 containers, so that I always have a
convenient mixing procedure when I need more two-stroke gas.

Here's a picture of my shelf with those containers:
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/13215311.jpg

I also save (and label) the original four-stroke containers
so that I can easily refill the four-stroke equipment with
the correct amounts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Danny D wrote in :

On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 15:12:16 +0000, Danny D wrote:

Then I refill the 40:1 containers, so that I always have a
convenient mixing procedure when I need more two-stroke gas.

Here's a picture of my shelf with those containers:
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/13215311.jpg

How about a picture showing us you pulling your head out of your butt?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Jun 2013 07:05:03 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote in
Re
gas-oil mix:

On Jun 2, 9:18*am, CRNG wrote:
[...]

That's a good idea I never thought of.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 15:47:31 +0000, JoeBro wrote:

How about a picture showing me pulling my head out of my butt?

http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/.../13215498.jpeg

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm puzzled by your terminology. "Richer" means more gas, doesn't it? A
50:1 mix has more gas than a 40:1 mix. The 40:1 mix has more oil and less
gas.
I use 32:1 in everything. Don't observe fouled plugs or other problems.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 15:39:31 +0000, Danny D wrote:

Here's a picture of my shelf with those containers:

BTW, I usually buy a TC-W3 NMMA-certified two-stroke oil:
http://www.nmma.org/certification/ce...oil/tc-w3.aspx

Is that the quality metric that you more experienced guys aim for?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 12:24:04 -0400, David L. Martel wrote:

"Richer" means more gas, doesn't it?

I think SM meant richer in oil (i.e., more oil, less gas).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 09:02:54 -0400, cj wrote:

My new Tanaka weed whip instruction manual calls for a gas oil mixture
of between 25:1 and 50:1. That seems kind of vague to me. My Echo leaf
blower calls for 40:1 and my Poulan chainsaw calls for 50:1. Running my
Poulan on a 40:1 seems to work fine, and I am planning on running the
Tanaka with a mix of 40:1. Is it super critical to stick with the
recommended mix for each piece of equipment ?

thanks CJ

Depends a WHOLE lot on what oil you are using. An oil that is designed
to be used at up to 100:1 might work well at 50:1, and not at 25:1,
while an oil made to run at 25:1 may not be acceptable at 50:1 - or
even 40:1.

If you use an oil designed for 50:1 at 40:1 you might bet a bit more
smoke but it should be good for all 3 machines. The saw rund hard
enough that deposits should not be a serious issue and the Tanaka
obviously isn't fussy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Jun 2013 15:12:16 +0000 (UTC), Danny D
wrote:

On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 10:23:26 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'd run the both on the richer mix, the 40:1.

That's what I do.

I save the original 2+ounce 40:1 oil containers that
came with the unit, and then I buy the replacement
two-stroke oil in standard quart sizes.

Then I refill the 40:1 containers, so that I always have a
convenient mixing procedure when I need more two-stroke gas.

Can't beat a MixMizer. Makes it wasy to ACCURATELY mix even 1 quart,
or 1 liter at a time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Jun 2013 12:24:04 -0400, "David L. Martel"
wrote:

I'm puzzled by your terminology. "Richer" means more gas, doesn't it? A
50:1 mix has more gas than a 40:1 mix. The 40:1 mix has more oil and less
gas.
I use 32:1 in everything. Don't observe fouled plugs or other problems.

Dave M.

Common usage when talking of an oil/fuel mixture considers a "richer"
mixture to be heavier on oil. Adding the denser to the less dense -
like fuel/air - or adding the lesser to the greater - where rich/lean
would switch when you pass 50%
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Jun 2013 16:26:31 +0000 (UTC), Danny D
wrote:

On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 15:39:31 +0000, Danny D wrote:

Here's a picture of my shelf with those containers:

BTW, I usually buy a TC-W3 NMMA-certified two-stroke oil:
http://www.nmma.org/certification/ce...oil/tc-w3.aspx

Is that the quality metric that you more experienced guys aim for?

TC-W3 oil is for water cooled (marine) engines. For air cooled
engines it must also meet the TM designation (some do,
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 13:08:05 -0400, clare wrote:

Can't beat a MixMizer.

I had to google what a MixMizer was:
http://griffiths.co.nz/news/wp-conte...5/MixMizer.jpg

Looks like it's part of a well-equipped shop:
http://www.grosbeakrc.ca/workshop/workshop.html

Still, the MixMizer seems to be simply a syringe, which, I guess
can be replaced with a standard small'ish measuring cup, right?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 15:39:31 +0000, Danny D wrote:

Here's a picture of my shelf with those containers:

BTW, I usually buy a TC-W3 NMMA-certified two-stroke oil:
http://www.nmma.org/certification/ce...oil/tc-w3.aspx

Is that the quality metric that you more experienced guys aim for?

TC-W3 oil is for water cooled (marine) engines. SOME TC-W# also meets
TM specifications, which means it is good for aircooled engines, such
as motorcycles and small powered equipment. Straight TC rated oil is
specified for most air cooled equipment. Non TM TC-W3 is NOT designed
to run at the higher temperatures generally experienced with things
like chainsaws and weed-eaters etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Jun 2013 17:17:37 +0000 (UTC), Danny D
wrote:

On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 13:08:05 -0400, clare wrote:

Can't beat a MixMizer.

I had to google what a MixMizer was:
http://griffiths.co.nz/news/wp-conte...5/MixMizer.jpg

Looks like it's part of a well-equipped shop:
http://www.grosbeakrc.ca/workshop/workshop.html

Still, the MixMizer seems to be simply a syringe, which, I guess
can be replaced with a standard small'ish measuring cup, right?

It's just the calibration. It is marked with ratio for quart and
pint mixes - from 20:1 to 100:1 so you don't need to do any
calculating.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm puzzled by your terminology. "Richer" means more gas, doesn't it? A
50:1 mix has more gas than a 40:1 mix. The 40:1 mix has more oil and less
gas.
I use 32:1 in everything. Don't observe fouled plugs or other problems.

Dave M.

That's pretty much what I do also. And I always buy Synthetic oil
with the hope that it provides me some added measure of safety.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 13:18:40 -0400, clare wrote:

SOME TC-W# also meets
TM specifications, which means it is good for aircooled engines,

Apparently none of the two-stroke oils I had meet TM
specifications.

There's only mention of "FD" & "TC-WIII":

Lesson learned:
- Buy only TM-rated TC-W# motor oil at the autoparts store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Danny D wrote:
On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 13:18:40 -0400, clare wrote:

SOME TC-W# also meets
TM specifications, which means it is good for aircooled engines,

Apparently none of the two-stroke oils I had meet TM
specifications.

There's only mention of "FD" & "TC-WIII":

Lesson learned:
- Buy only TM-rated TC-W# motor oil at the autoparts store.

Hi.
I always used 2 cycle marine engine oil and never had problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Danny D wrote:
On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 15:39:31 +0000, Danny D wrote:

Here's a picture of my shelf with those containers:

BTW, I usually buy a TC-W3 NMMA-certified two-stroke oil:
http://www.nmma.org/certification/ce...oil/tc-w3.aspx

Is that the quality metric that you more experienced guys aim for?

It is not critical in most applications, but an oil designed and certified
for use in a water-cooled outboard motor is not the opitmal choice for
lightweight air-cooled engines such as those found in weed wackers and
chain saws.

Larry W. - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar.org

Posted to alt.home.repair

cj wrote:
My new Tanaka weed whip instruction manual calls for a gas oil mixture of
between 25:1 and 50:1. That seems kind of vague to me. My Echo leaf
blower calls for 40:1 and my Poulan chainsaw calls for 50:1. Running my
Poulan on a 40:1 seems to work fine, and I am planning on running the
Tanaka with a mix of 40:1. Is it super critical to stick with the
recommended mix for each piece of equipment ?

thanks CJ

I mostly use 32-1 for my lawn boy, husqvarna, stihl, etc. I started using
three blends, and a local small engine repair said I didn't have to. At one
time, it was much the quality of the oil, and how well it mixed, that
determined ratio. I think we started mixing 16-1 for an evenrude. You
should not use water cooled engine oil in an air cooled, or so I'm told.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/2/2013 8:02 AM, cj wrote:
My new Tanaka weed whip instruction manual calls for a gas oil mixture
of between 25:1 and 50:1. That seems kind of vague to me. My Echo leaf
blower calls for 40:1 and my Poulan chainsaw calls for 50:1. Running my
Poulan on a 40:1 seems to work fine, and I am planning on running the
Tanaka with a mix of 40:1. Is it super critical to stick with the
recommended mix for each piece of equipment ?

thanks CJ

No, if you use a name brand quality ash free oil, you can run EVERYTHING
(yes including 16:1 lawnboys) at 50:1.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/2/2013 11:24 AM, David L. Martel wrote:
I'm puzzled by your terminology. "Richer" means more gas, doesn't it? A
50:1 mix has more gas than a 40:1 mix. The 40:1 mix has more oil and less
gas.
I use 32:1 in everything. Don't observe fouled plugs or other problems.

Dave M.

you are exactly right, Dave. But i wasn't going to argue with the know
it alls in the group. If you use too much oil, you will actually make
the engine run hotter, because the oil is taking up space that would
normally be occupied by gasoline molecules, hence a LEANER mixture. The
Stihl man explained AND demonstrated (with electronic thermometers) this
to us in a seminar.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 00:00:18 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

On 6/2/2013 11:24 AM, David L. Martel wrote:
I'm puzzled by your terminology. "Richer" means more gas, doesn't it? A
50:1 mix has more gas than a 40:1 mix. The 40:1 mix has more oil and less
gas.
I use 32:1 in everything. Don't observe fouled plugs or other problems.

Dave M.

you are exactly right, Dave. But i wasn't going to argue with the know
it alls in the group. If you use too much oil, you will actually make
the engine run hotter, because the oil is taking up space that would
normally be occupied by gasoline molecules, hence a LEANER mixture. The
Stihl man explained AND demonstrated (with electronic thermometers) this
to us in a seminar.

If you adjust the carb for the fuel you are running, the engine will
NOT run leaner. And the oil is also a fuel - and a fuel of higher SG
and density which, depending on the oil, also burns as part of the
mixture if the mix is not TOO oil rich. So simply put - if you adjust
the mixture to run with a particular blend and do not change blends,
there is NO mixture problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 6/2/2013 11:24 AM, David L. Martel wrote:
I'm puzzled by your terminology. "Richer" means more gas, doesn't it? A
50:1 mix has more gas than a 40:1 mix. The 40:1 mix has more oil and less
gas.
I use 32:1 in everything. Don't observe fouled plugs or other problems.

Dave M.

you are exactly right, Dave. But i wasn't going to argue with the know
it alls in the group. If you use too much oil, you will actually make
the engine run hotter, because the oil is taking up space that would
normally be occupied by gasoline molecules, hence a LEANER mixture. The
Stihl man explained AND demonstrated (with electronic thermometers) this
to us in a seminar.

Another thing - if you adjust for the oil blend you are using, the
oil flowing through the engine absorbs some heat, carrying it away
with the waste oil - and the extra oil protects the engine from
seizing when the temperatures get high. In west africa all the Mopeds
are running about 20:1 to prevent seizure - they smoke like fiends,
but over half of them are pushing 40 years old and still running. They
pop the head off every month or so and scrape the oily carbon off the
piston and head with a wooden stick.

Posted to alt.home.repair
cj cj is offline

On 6/3/2013 12:55 AM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 6/2/2013 8:02 AM, cj wrote:
My new Tanaka weed whip instruction manual calls for a gas oil mixture
of between 25:1 and 50:1. That seems kind of vague to me. My Echo leaf
blower calls for 40:1 and my Poulan chainsaw calls for 50:1. Running my
Poulan on a 40:1 seems to work fine, and I am planning on running the
Tanaka with a mix of 40:1. Is it super critical to stick with the
recommended mix for each piece of equipment ?

thanks CJ

No, if you use a name brand quality ash free oil, you can run EVERYTHING
(yes including 16:1 lawnboys) at 50:1.

can you recommend a brand? not much choice @ home d

cj
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/2/2013 8:02 AM, cj wrote:
My new Tanaka weed whip instruction manual calls for a gas oil mixture
of between 25:1 and 50:1. That seems kind of vague to me. My Echo leaf
blower calls for 40:1 and my Poulan chainsaw calls for 50:1. Running my
Poulan on a 40:1 seems to work fine, and I am planning on running the
Tanaka with a mix of 40:1. Is it super critical to stick with the
recommended mix for each piece of equipment ?

thanks CJ

No, if you use a name brand quality ash free oil, you can run EVERYTHING
(yes including 16:1 lawnboys) at 50:1.

can you recommend a brand? not much choice @ home d

cj

We use the Stihl oil. Mix 1 gallon of oil into 50 gallons of gas in a
barrel once a week or so. I used the mercury quicksilver oil in the mix
for 3 years until the stihl man threatened to void our warranties. I
think he was just ****ed I wasn't buying the oil from him. So I switched
to the Stihl oil and bought it online.

--
Steve Barker