Posted to alt.home.repair
jb jb is offline

Default Quartz countertop and dishwasher

I知 having a new quartz counter top installed and have heard that it is
very difficult to drill holes to attach the dishwasher holding tabs.
What is your recommendation for drilling holes in the quartz, and the
correct screws to use. Would you recommend not drilling holes and
utilizing a glue or some other attachment strategy. Thanks for your help

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 May 2013 17:47:02 -0400, jb wrote:

I知 having a new quartz counter top installed and have heard that it is
very difficult to drill holes to attach the dishwasher holding tabs.
What is your recommendation for drilling holes in the quartz, and the
correct screws to use. Would you recommend not drilling holes and
utilizing a glue or some other attachment strategy. Thanks for your help

Dishwashers usually have an alternate mounting method for stone or
similar tops. There is usually a bracket or mounting holes in the
sides so that they can be mounted to the side cabinets. Using the top
mounting hole is not recommended. If there is no alternative mounting
method, a 1x across the top may work. Check your dishwashers
instructions. This case should be in there.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb View Post
I’m having a new quartz counter top installed and have heard that it is
very difficult to drill holes to attach the dishwasher holding tabs.
What is your recommendation for drilling holes in the quartz, and the
correct screws to use. Would you recommend not drilling holes and
utilizing a glue or some other attachment strategy. Thanks for your help
If it wuz me, I wouldn't use EITHER screws OR glue.

I would just adjust the front and back legs of the dishwasher until it was level and the top flange of the dishwasher was snug against the underside of the counter top and leave it that way. Or, if you have to raise the dishwasher too much for that, stick a lumber 1X2 between the top flange of the dish washer and the underside of the counter top, and raise the dishwasher until everything was snug, and job done.

That's because no matter how hard I bash my head against the top of the computer desk in front of me, I still can't think of any GOOD reason to screw the two things together. It's not like either one of them is going to be sliding around all over the place unless you fasten them to one another. Neither one will move, either individually, or in the couples competition (barring an earthquake, tornado or house explosion).

I fully understand that it's common practice to screw the top flange of the dish washer to the underside of the front of the counter top. It's also common practice for men to shake hands when they meet, but there's no underlying need for that either. The counter top doesn't NEED the support of the dish washer, but even just adjusting the front and back feet of the dish washer to raise the dish washer up until it touches the counter top would provide that same support.

Last edited by nestork : May 29th 13 at 12:35 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message ...
On Tue, 28 May 2013 17:47:02 -0400, jb wrote:

I'm having a new quartz counter top installed and have heard that it is
very difficult to drill holes to attach the dishwasher holding tabs.
What is your recommendation for drilling holes in the quartz, and the
correct screws to use. Would you recommend not drilling holes and
utilizing a glue or some other attachment strategy. Thanks for your help

Dishwashers usually have an alternate mounting method for stone or
similar tops. There is usually a bracket or mounting holes in the
sides so that they can be mounted to the side cabinets. Using the top
mounting hole is not recommended. If there is no alternative mounting
method, a 1x across the top may work. Check your dishwashers
instructions. This case should be in there.

Mine was fastened to the 3/4-in wood frame that supports the countertop:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/23/gedc2711.jpg/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Guv Bob" wrote in message m...
wrote in message ...
On Tue, 28 May 2013 17:47:02 -0400, jb wrote:

I'm having a new quartz counter top installed and have heard that it is
very difficult to drill holes to attach the dishwasher holding tabs.
What is your recommendation for drilling holes in the quartz, and the
correct screws to use. Would you recommend not drilling holes and
utilizing a glue or some other attachment strategy. Thanks for your help

Dishwashers usually have an alternate mounting method for stone or
similar tops. There is usually a bracket or mounting holes in the
sides so that they can be mounted to the side cabinets. Using the top
mounting hole is not recommended. If there is no alternative mounting
method, a 1x across the top may work. Check your dishwashers
instructions. This case should be in there.

- Mine was fastened to the 3/4-in wood frame that supports the countertop:
- http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/23/gedc2711.jpg/ (not working)

Sorry, some trouble with imageshack. Here's the bracket...
http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/856/bracketl.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 May 2013 17:47:02 -0400, jb wrote:

I知 having a new quartz counter top installed and have heard that it is
very difficult to drill holes to attach the dishwasher holding tabs.
What is your recommendation for drilling holes in the quartz, and the
correct screws to use. Would you recommend not drilling holes and
utilizing a glue or some other attachment strategy. Thanks for your help

I've purchased at Lowes a kit for mounting dishwashers under a solid
countertop (granite in my case). Using the same top dishwasher
brackets it "glues" the tabs to the underside of the countertop. Works
like a charm and costs about $10. No drilling necessary.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 May 2013 18:35:52 -0400, wrote:

There is usually a bracket or mounting holes in the
sides so that they can be mounted to the side cabinets.

+1
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 28, 2013 2:47:02 PM UTC-7, jb wrote:
I知 having a new quartz counter top installed and have heard that it is

very difficult to drill holes to attach the dishwasher holding tabs.

What is your recommendation for drilling holes in the quartz, and the

correct screws to use. Would you recommend not drilling holes and

utilizing a glue or some other attachment strategy. Thanks for your help

I siliconed a thin wood board with plenty of surface area to the underside of the quartz and then screwed the dishwasher tabs into the wood. Worked great. Just remember to clamp well and wait for the silicone to set up completely.