Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Surplus Quartz Countertop - Is it marketable?

In another post, I described how I made a design error, and I may be
stuck with a large piece of premium Cambria countertop material.

Should the stone shop accept it back for some sort of refund/
exchange? What's the industry standard?

Would a piece of stone countertop cut to my specific specifications be
of interest to anyone to buy, say on Craigslist or eBay, or am I just
stuck with an enormous high-end paperweight?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 10, 2:58*pm, dpb wrote:
wrote:
In another post, I described how I made a design error, and I may be
stuck with a large piece of premium Cambria countertop material.

Should the stone shop accept it back for some sort of refund/
exchange? *What's the industry standard?

Would a piece of stone countertop cut to my specific specifications be
of interest to anyone to buy, say on Craigslist or eBay, or am I just
stuck with an enormous high-end paperweight?

All depends on the particular shop--almost certainly they'll give you
some credit if it's a retail place; how much would depend on the size as
you surmise of either being usable as is or large enough to make usable
pieces from. *What sort of discount against the price you paid could
range from 20% perhaps for a upper end to near nothing if it's a real
oddball.

I'd not expect to get more than 50-75% tops on a craig's list or similar
unless again, you just happened to find the exact match of individual
looking for what you have, specifically.

--

The material is quartz (engineered stone), so there's no variation in
the grade/color. It's all "best quality". It can be matched with
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

The material is quartz (engineered stone), so there's no variation in
the grade/color. It's all "best quality". It can be matched with
other pieces if someone down the road orders that same brand and
color. So that's another reason why they should give some credit!

Actually, anything man-made is subject to variations in batching
tolerances and dye lots. Even the best manufacturing process will
have these variations and will track batch numbers for best color
matching. I have seen it in Formica where I had to return a sheet as
it was a different color batch (same color number) and could not be
mixed with other sheets without a noticeable shade difference. For
this reason they may not want to accept a return if they do not have
more material from that color batch to use with it.