Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Quartz Countertop Thickness

Both Silestone and Zodiac engineered quartz countertops are offered in
2 cm and 3 cm thicknesses. I inquired at both manufacturers about the
advantage of having the thicker product other than appearance. I just
received an answer from a representative at Dupont (Zodiac) and the
answer was:

"Thank you for your interest in Zodiaq® quartz surfaces. Please visit
your local kitchen designer at your Zodiaq® Retailer to help you
create a kitchen to meet your individual style. Their Zodiaq
installer/fabricator can explain which thickness would best suit your
design."

I consider this to be an evasive answer. I haven't heard yet from
Silestone. If the product is mounted on a stable base, why should I
spend the extra money for the thicker countertop?

bs has been included as part of my e-mail address to reduce the
amount of spam mail. Change the 'bs'in my address to 'bellsouth'
to send me a message.

Bill Burlingame
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , William J. Burlingame wrote:
Both Silestone and Zodiac engineered quartz countertops are offered in
2 cm and 3 cm thicknesses. I inquired at both manufacturers about the
advantage of having the thicker product other than appearance. I just
received an answer from a representative at Dupont (Zodiac) and the
answer was:

"Thank you for your interest in Zodiaq® quartz surfaces. Please visit
your local kitchen designer at your Zodiaq® Retailer to help you
create a kitchen to meet your individual style. Their Zodiaq
installer/fabricator can explain which thickness would best suit your
design."

I consider this to be an evasive answer. I haven't heard yet from
Silestone. If the product is mounted on a stable base, why should I
spend the extra money for the thicker countertop?

The 3 cm material is a little stronger, heavier and more expensive.
And you can create a reasonable edge when you have 3cm to work with.

With 2 cm material, it's normal to laminate a second layer on the
edge so you can create a 4cm bullnose (or similar) edge finish.
This looks nice if done well and the the bullnose can overhang
so that it nicely covers the tops of the cabinets and any
plywood.

However, the lamination work is labor intensive and hence
costly. This pretty much wipes out the cost advantage of the
2cm material.

Having said that, the 2cm (with laminated edge) tends to
work out best for remodels -- the overhanging bullnose will
cover any minor imperfections in the tops of the cabs.

I understand there is a regional factor at play too.
Apparently, 3cm is more popular in the East of the
country -- 2cm in the West.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 10:57:52 -0600, William J Burlingame wrote:
Both Silestone and Zodiac engineered quartz countertops are offered in
2 cm and 3 cm thicknesses. I inquired at both manufacturers about the
advantage of having the thicker product other than appearance. I just

I've always understood it to just be appearance of the edge.

bs has been included as part of my e-mail address to reduce the
amount of spam mail. Change the 'bs'in my address to 'bellsouth'

That is quite rude to send your spam to stan's bs.net domain.

sdb

sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 16:17:51 -0700, sylvan butler
wrote:

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 10:57:52 -0600, William J Burlingame wrote:
Both Silestone and Zodiac engineered quartz countertops are offered in
2 cm and 3 cm thicknesses. I inquired at both manufacturers about the
advantage of having the thicker product other than appearance. I just

I've always understood it to just be appearance of the edge.

bs has been included as part of my e-mail address to reduce the
amount of spam mail. Change the 'bs'in my address to 'bellsouth'

That is quite rude to send your spam to stan's bs.net domain.

I've been using this as a spam blocker for several years. When I
started, the domain was not in use. Do you mean there is a wjburl at
bs.net? If not, doesn't the spam go to bit bucket? When I went to
bs.net, I saw an online university site. On line universities are
notorious for sending spam. A Google search didn't produce any other
sites with that domain.

sdb

bs has been included as part of my e-mail address to reduce the
amount of spam mail. Change the 'bs'in my address to 'bellsouth'
to send me a message.

Bill Burlingame

Can I regulate my quartz watch? Fred McKenzie Electronics Repair 7 November 21st 05 12:31 AM
Quartz Countertops Dave Combs Home Repair 3 August 1st 05 05:35 AM
Quartz Patio Heaters Jim Crow UK diy 42 May 13th 05 10:49 PM
Delta 12" Portable Thickness Planer or 22" Shop Built Thickness Sander? tillius Woodworking 11 December 21st 04 12:27 AM
SERVIS QUARTZ 1300 A Bren UK diy 3 October 25th 04 05:01 PM