Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 10 Tools every kid should master

"HeyBub" wrote in
:

From the editors of Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...ry-kid-should-
learn-to-use?click=pp#slide-1

What tool would you add to the list?

A rock.

Just in case you can't find any of the other ****.
Posted to alt.home.repair

From the editors of Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/skills/10-tools-every-kid-should-learn-to-use?click=pp#slide-1

What tool would you add to the list?

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to HeyBub , passerby wrote:
heybub wrote:
What tool would you add to the list?

I would delete one. Chain saw? *Every* kid should *master* chain saw?
Husqvarna must've paid good money to slip that one in!

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...er-749487-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/22/2013 5:23 PM, HeyBub wrote:
From the editors of Popular Mechanics:

http://www.... 10-tools-every-kid-should-learn-to-use?...

What tool would you add to the list?

Combination square, tape measure, hand plane (start w/ simple block
plane) for starters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in news:auedndMk-
:

From the editors of Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...-learn-to-use?
click=pp#slide-1

What tool would you add to the list?

I'd *delete* all three power saws, and add:
- tape measure
- automobile jack & lug wrench
- hand plane
- sharpening stone
- sandpaper
- files & rasps

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 May 2013 17:23:26 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

From the editors of Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/skills/10-tools-every-kid-should-learn-to-use?click=pp#slide-1

What tool would you add to the list?

Butterknife. How else would you tighten a screw?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2013-05-22, Red Green wrote:

A rock.

Stupidest list I've seen in awhile.

On what planet does a utility knife qualify as a pocket knife? Why
"needle nose" pliers? Most ppl have no clue what electronics are.
Why a circular saw if one has a hand saw? A ladder? A soldering
iron? A....?? forget it! This is list of 10 things MI wishes you'd
buy from their advertisers. Nothing more.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 11:23*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
From the editors of Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/skills/10-tools-every-kid-should...

What tool would you add to the list?Ads not by this site

Surprised they don't have an AK47 on the list it being the USA.
Which is just advertising ****e BTW.
Senior Member

Considering all the dumb tools in that list, I can't help wondering why they completely ignored tools that I find I use all the time:

1. a digital multimeter

2. a digital caliper

3. a screw thread gauge

4. a 30 power magnification jeweller's loupe, which amongst other things allows you to check the sharpness and condition of your cutting tools and drill bits just by looking at them.

5. a pair of locking pliers
(which in my view is more useful for grabbing, gripping and twisting more things than a pair of needle nose pliers, and is the only tool a kid really needs to fix his bike. This site limits the number of images in any post to 4, so I took out the locking pliers because everyone knows what they look like.)

6. (maybe) a simple and inexpensive digital camera
Any kid trying to fix a problem is gonna need an experienced eye to give him advice, and a picture is worth a thousand words. Most kids know how to connect a digital camera to a computer and print off a picture or e-mail it around the world, so this is one that most kids have already "mastered".

Magazines like Popular Mechanics pay freelance writers to provide articles to them for publication, and the tools in this article were just whatever some guy happened to think of in five minutes worth of thinking. Obviously, the guy wasn't really thinking very clearly because the chain saw idea is stupidity on stilts. I can think of more ways a kid could seriously injure himself with a chain saw than I can think of good reasons why a kid would ever need to use a chain saw. Please don't give a chain saw to your kid for his 12th birthday. Or, if you do, be sure to give one to your daughter, too.

Last edited by nestork : May 23rd 13 at 09:37 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 22 May 2013 17:23:26 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

From the editors of Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/skills/10-tools-every-kid-should-learn-to-use?click=pp#slide-1

What tool would you add to the list?

Butterknife. How else would you tighten a screw?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 10 Tools every kid should master (2)

despise

--
..
Christopher A. Young
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 22 May 2013 17:23:26 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

From the editors of Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/skills/10-tools-every-kid-should-learn-to-use?click=pp#slide-1

What tool would you add to the list?

Butterknife. How else would you tighten a screw?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 10 Tools every kid should master (3)

webpages

--
..
Christopher A. Young
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 22 May 2013 17:23:26 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

From the editors of Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/skills/10-tools-every-kid-should-learn-to-use?click=pp#slide-1

What tool would you add to the list?

Butterknife. How else would you tighten a screw?

Posted to alt.home.repair

webpages

--
..
Christopher A. Young
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 22 May 2013 17:23:26 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

From the editors of Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/skills/10-tools-every-kid-should-learn-to-use?click=pp#slide-1

What tool would you add to the list?

Butterknife. How else would you tighten a screw?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 10 Tools every kid should master (4)

that

--
..
Christopher A. Young
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 22 May 2013 17:23:26 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

From the editors of Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/skills/10-tools-every-kid-should-learn-to-use?click=pp#slide-1

What tool would you add to the list?

Butterknife. How else would you tighten a screw?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 10 Tools every kid should master (6)

make

--
..
Christopher A. Young
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 22 May 2013 17:23:26 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

From the editors of Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/skills/10-tools-every-kid-should-learn-to-use?click=pp#slide-1

What tool would you add to the list?

Butterknife. How else would you tighten a screw?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 10 Tools every kid should master (7)

you

--
..
Christopher A. Young
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 22 May 2013 17:23:26 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

From the editors of Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/skills/10-tools-every-kid-should-learn-to-use?click=pp#slide-1

What tool would you add to the list?

Butterknife. How else would you tighten a screw?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 10 Tools every kid should master (8)

click

--
..
Christopher A. Young
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 22 May 2013 17:23:26 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

From the editors of Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/skills/10-tools-every-kid-should-learn-to-use?click=pp#slide-1

What tool would you add to the list?

Butterknife. How else would you tighten a screw?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 10 Tools every kid should master (9)

through.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 22 May 2013 17:23:26 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

From the editors of Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/skills/10-tools-every-kid-should-learn-to-use?click=pp#slide-1

What tool would you add to the list?

Butterknife. How else would you tighten a screw?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/23/2013 3:55 AM, nestork wrote:

Magazines like Popular Mechanics pay freelance writers to write articles
for publication, and the tools in this article were just whatever some
guy happened to think of in five minutes worth of thinking. But, I

Exactly, magazines like that are a total waste of time for that reason.

It is like asking "what is the best flavor of ice cream?". Totally
pointless and useless.

agree the chain saw is a stupid idea. I can see more ways a kid could
hurt himself with a chain saw than I can see reasons why a kid would
ever need to use a chain saw. And, I can see lots of reasons why any
kid might need to use any of the five tools I've suggested in this post.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 23, 5:03*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
through.

--
.
Christopher A. Young
."Ed Pawlowski" wrote in messagenews:1drqp85margsi4vjsfv1c7m3g4nelbpjnp@4ax .com...

On Wed, 22 May 2013 17:23:26 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

From the editors of Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/skills/10-tools-every-kid-should....

What tool would you add to the list?

Butterknife. *How else would you tighten a screw?

LOL! I still vote for 'rock' It's a tool I've used many a time
outside. However, not so much inside, as the Ms. has put restrictions
on that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dear Wilma,
Betty said rocks were OK in her house. Barney hasn't had any trouble.
Fred.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s13X66BFd8
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Robert Macy" wrote in message ...

LOL! I still vote for 'rock' It's a tool I've used many a time
outside. However, not so much inside, as the Ms. has put restrictions
on that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

10. Cap, that goes on the end of the tooth paste tube.
9. Book to read, to stay occupied in idle moments
8. Handrail, while going up and down stairs
7. Toothbrush, so you don't stink so much
6. Trashcan, location for empty food containers, not the refrig
5. Towel for wiping up messes
4. light switch / turn off
3. close the damn door
2. rotary dial phone
1. flush toilet

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 22 May 2013 17:23:26 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

From the editors of Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/skills/10-tools-every-kid-should-learn-to-use?click=pp#slide-1

What tool would you add to the list?

Butterknife. How else would you tighten a screw?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 May 2013 00:21:35 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

Surprised they don't have an AK47 on the list it being the USA.

Now you're thinking, harry. Add to the list.

..22 - 10 shot Ruger
..410 single barrel shotgun
12 ga auto shot gun + a double barrel
Over and Under center fire and shotgun
..45 1911
AR-15
..270 Remington
30.06

Guns ARE tools!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 May 2013 22:19:51 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

What tool would you add to the list?

A rock.

Just in case you can't find any of the other ****.

....and you can sharpen your Bowie knife on a rock

I was gonna mention duct tape, but that would be redundant.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 May 2013 21:15:45 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

What tool would you add to the list?

Butterknife. How else would you tighten a screw?

Your Mom caught you too?

...."son, what happened to the end of this knife?"

ducks for cover

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Surprised they don't have an AK47 on the list it being the USA.

Now you're thinking, harry. Add to the list.

Of course he's not thinking. If he were he'd have put an AR at the
top of the list. An AK is just a nice-to-have tool.

.22 - 10 shot Ruger
.410 single barrel shotgun
12 ga auto shot gun + a double barrel
Over and Under center fire and shotgun
.45 1911
AR-15
.270 Remington
30.06

Guns ARE tools!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 May 2013 17:23:26 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

From the editors of Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/skills/10-tools-every-kid-should-learn-to-use?click=pp#slide-1

What tool would you add to the list?

I'd remove circular saw and chain saw. It didn't include any screw
drivers so those should be added. It also didn't include any form of
wrench, so at teh very least it should have a crescent wrench. And
I'd be included to take out ladder and include a set of socket
wrenches and or open/closed end combo wrenches.

Overall I'd say the article was written by an idiot who perhaps got a
BS in communication and knows little or nothing about really using
tools beyond assembling some IKEA furniture.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 May 2013 08:03:42 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

through.

Clever !!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in news:auedndMk-
:

From the editors of Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...-learn-to-use?

click=pp#slide-1

What tool would you add to the list?

I'd *delete* all three power saws, and add:
- tape measure
- automobile jack & lug wrench
- hand plane
- sharpening stone
- sandpaper
- files & rasps

The ages are kind of silly. My 4 y/o grandson is using my cordless drill and my
drill press, with lots of help and close supervision (like my hands on his) from
grandpa. My 6 y/o grandson uses a tape measure just fine. They both use my
block plane.

My 40 y/o daughter asked me to come change a tire. I pulled up next to her,
got out of my car, leaned on my fender, and said "First, you take out the
jack..."

-- Doug
-- Doug
Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote in
:

On May 22, 11:23*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
From the editors of Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...ery-kid-should

What tool would you add to the list?Ads not by this site

Surprised they don't have an AK47 on the list it being the USA.
Which is just advertising ****e BTW.

Or a fk'n cell phone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/22/13 5:23 PM, HeyBub wrote:
From the editors of Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/skills/10-tools-every-kid-should-learn-to-use?click=pp#slide-1

What tool would you add to the list?

Pencil and paper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Dean Hoffman " wrote:

On 5/22/13 5:23 PM, HeyBub wrote:
From the editors of Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...d-should-learn
-to-use?click=pp#slide-1

What tool would you add to the list?

Pencil and paper.

Absolutely correct. Including mastery of the three R's, common sense &
good judgment.

Knowing a bunch of useful knots is also nice!

Erik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 May 2013 08:59:18 -0400, George
wrote:

On 5/23/2013 3:55 AM, nestork wrote:

Magazines like Popular Mechanics pay freelance writers to write articles
for publication, and the tools in this article were just whatever some
guy happened to think of in five minutes worth of thinking. But, I

Exactly, magazines like that are a total waste of time for that reason.

It is like asking "what is the best flavor of ice cream?". Totally
pointless and useless.

Exactly. Everyone knows it is vanilla so asking is silly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 4:57*pm, dpb wrote:
On 5/22/2013 5:23 PM, HeyBub wrote:

*From the editors of Popular Mechanics:

http://www.... 10-tools-every-kid-should-learn-to-use?...

What tool would you add to the list?

Combination square, tape measure, hand plane (start w/ simple block
plane) for starters.

--

+1

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Surprised they don't have an AK47 on the list it being the USA.

Now you're thinking, harry. Add to the list.

.22 - 10 shot Ruger
.410 single barrel shotgun
12 ga auto shot gun + a double barrel
Over and Under center fire and shotgun
.45 1911
AR-15
.270 Remington
30.06

Guns ARE tools!!

Beat me to them.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 May 2013 15:05:34 -0500, Douglas Johnson
wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in news:auedndMk-
:

From the editors of Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...-learn-to-use?

click=pp#slide-1

What tool would you add to the list?

I'd *delete* all three power saws, and add:
- tape measure
- automobile jack & lug wrench
- hand plane
- sharpening stone
- sandpaper
- files & rasps

The ages are kind of silly. My 4 y/o grandson is using my cordless drill and my
drill press, with lots of help and close supervision (like my hands on his) from
grandpa. My 6 y/o grandson uses a tape measure just fine. They both use my
block plane.

My 40 y/o daughter asked me to come change a tire. I pulled up next to her,
got out of my car, leaned on my fender, and said "First, you take out the
jack..."

When my kids got their drivers licenses one of the things we did in
the first couple weeks was learn to change a tire - I supervised and
they did it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ashton Crusher wrote in newsg7up8l7jvocb1faq4hdqr63mh3ih1afu9@
4ax.com:

When my kids got their drivers licenses one of the things we did in
the first couple weeks was learn to change a tire - I supervised and
they did it.

I made sure my kids knew how to change a tire as soon as they were strong enough to do it,
probably somewhere around age 12.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sigh. Trust Ed to get it wrong. It's chocolate.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...

It is like asking "what is the best flavor of ice cream?". Totally
pointless and useless.

Exactly. Everyone knows it is vanilla so asking is silly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2013-05-22, Red Green wrote:

A rock.

Stupidest list I've seen in awhile.

On what planet does a utility knife qualify as a pocket knife? Why
"needle nose" pliers? Most ppl have no clue what electronics are.
Why a circular saw if one has a hand saw? A ladder? A soldering
iron? A....?? forget it! This is list of 10 things MI wishes you'd
buy from their advertisers. Nothing more.

If, by "MI," you mean "Mechanics Illustrated," that magazine - through
various name changes - ceased publication in 2001. Mechanics Illustrated
editorial content was merged with "This Old House" (according to Wikipedia).

Master of the obvious JayPique Woodworking 1 March 16th 11 01:22 AM
OT - Master of the obvious. MikeWhy Woodworking 11 January 6th 09 05:59 AM
CED Control Master prestwichjon UK diy 2 January 21st 08 11:48 PM
tools, air tools, power tools, hand tools, cordeless tool 4qO3HN tim Electronics Repair 0 February 21st 07 08:34 PM
Master Cabinetmaker Bob S. Woodworking 18 November 15th 03 03:19 PM