Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 10 Tools every kid should master

Douglas Johnson wrote:

My 40 y/o daughter asked me to come change a tire. I pulled up next
to her, got out of my car, leaned on my fender, and said "First, you
take out the jack..."

I mentioned the same thing to my current squeeze. Her reply was along the
same lines as: "I have a membership in AAA to change a tire. It's exactly
the same reasoning a I would use in paying a dentist to pull a tooth instead
of doing it myself."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 May 2013 12:30:47 -0700, Ashton Crusher
wrote:

On Wed, 22 May 2013 17:23:26 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

From the editors of Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/skills/10-tools-every-kid-should-learn-to-use?click=pp#slide-1

What tool would you add to the list?

I'd remove circular saw and chain saw. It didn't include any screw
drivers so those should be added. It also didn't include any form of
wrench, so at teh very least it should have a crescent wrench. And
I'd be included to take out ladder and include a set of socket
wrenches and or open/closed end combo wrenches.

Overall I'd say the article was written by an idiot who perhaps got a
BS in communication and knows little or nothing about really using
tools beyond assembling some IKEA furniture.

+1. Screwdrivers and wrenches take apart most things. That's the
main thing for a kid, taking it apart. Add a hammer.
Disagree about a crescent wrench. None of my kids ever saw one
when they lived with me.
Doesn't matter much though, since the kid himself decides what tools
he'll master.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 May 2013 10:52:42 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

Ashton Crusher wrote in newsg7up8l7jvocb1faq4hdqr63mh3ih1afu9@
4ax.com:

When my kids got their drivers licenses one of the things we did in
the first couple weeks was learn to change a tire - I supervised and
they did it.

I made sure my kids knew how to change a tire as soon as they were strong enough to do it,
probably somewhere around age 12.

Hey dad, can we get ice cream? Yeah, as soon as you change that tire!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 May 2013 09:50:33 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Douglas Johnson wrote:

My 40 y/o daughter asked me to come change a tire. I pulled up next
to her, got out of my car, leaned on my fender, and said "First, you
take out the jack..."

I mentioned the same thing to my current squeeze. Her reply was along the
same lines as: "I have a membership in AAA to change a tire. It's exactly
the same reasoning a I would use in paying a dentist to pull a tooth instead
of doing it myself."

I don't exactly agree with her logic but there are some situations
where it's better to call AAA. If you have an outside (traffic side)
tire go flat and you are stuck on the freeway in heavy traffic,
changing it yourself can get you killed. A friend of my Dad's got
killed doing that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wed, 22 May 2013 17:23:26 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

From the editors of Popular Mechanics:

[...]

Years ago when my tool chest had a lot less tools in it, particularly
wrenches, I used to use my crescent wrench all the time. As my
experience grew along with my tool box inventory my crescent wrench
usage dropped to almost zero. When I make up a tiny emergency kit I
still put a crescent wrench in it though, it is pretty versatile...
can be used as hammer too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message
Years ago when my tool chest had a lot less tools in it, particularly
wrenches, I used to use my crescent wrench all the time. As my
experience grew along with my tool box inventory my crescent wrench
usage dropped to almost zero. When I make up a tiny emergency kit I
still put a crescent wrench in it though, it is pretty versatile...
can be used as hammer too.

I worked as break down maintenance at a large company. They provided any
tool I wanted. In my tool pouch I always carried a crescent wrench and
channel lock pliers. It save a lot of walking and time as I might be
working on anything.
Also was one of the screw drivers that had a hex shaft that each end held a
reversiable bit . One end was two sizes of phillips and the other end was
the regular screwdriver. Also the shaft made a good nut driver. Not the
best tools, but if you have to carry them around all day, it saves a lot of
weight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My experiences as a locksmith, are much the same.
I used to carry a metal tackle box which weighed
probably 50 pounds. I realized I only used a few
tools consistently. I bought a Walmart tackle box
for a few hand tools. That has served very well.
It slowly grows in weight, as I discover need for
other tools, screws, flat washers, etc.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message m...

I worked as break down maintenance at a large company.
They provided any tool I wanted. In my tool pouch I
always carried a crescent wrench and channel lock pliers.
It save a lot of walking and time as I might be working on
anything.
Also was one of the screw drivers that had a hex shaft that
each end held a reversiable bit . One end was two sizes of
phillips and the other end was the regular screwdriver. Also
the shaft made a good nut driver. Not the best tools, but if
you have to carry them around all day, it saves a lot of
weight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 24, 3:01*am, Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Thu, 23 May 2013 15:05:34 -0500, Douglas Johnson

wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in news:auedndMk-
:

From the editors of Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...ery-kid-should...
click=pp#slide-1

What tool would you add to the list?

I'd *delete* all three power saws, and add:
- tape measure
- automobile jack & lug wrench
- hand plane
- sharpening stone
- sandpaper
- files & rasps

The ages are kind of silly. *My 4 y/o grandson is using my cordless drill and my
drill press, with lots of help and close supervision (like my hands on his) from
grandpa. *My 6 y/o grandson uses a tape measure just fine. *They both use my
block plane.

My 40 y/o daughter asked me to come *change a tire. *I pulled up next to her,
got out of *my car, leaned on my fender, and said "First, you take out the
jack..."

When my kids got their drivers licenses one of the things we did in
the first couple weeks was learn to change a tire - I supervised and
they did it.- Hide quoted text -

Amen, it saves a lot of phone calls at night later on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 May 2013 07:13:56 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Sigh. Trust Ed to get it wrong. It's chocolate.

Chocolate ice cream makes terrible root beer floats.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Douglas Johnson wrote:

My 40 y/o daughter asked me to come change a tire. I pulled up next
to her, got out of my car, leaned on my fender, and said "First, you
take out the jack..."

I mentioned the same thing to my current squeeze. Her reply was along the
same lines as: "I have a membership in AAA to change a tire. It's exactly
the same reasoning a I would use in paying a dentist to pull a tooth instead
of doing it myself."

As seldom as tires go, these days, I can't fault the logic in that. I
doubt that half the spares in the country are usable. I know at least
one of mine isn't (rusted to the frame).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dean Hoffman " wrote in
:

On 5/22/13 5:23 PM, HeyBub wrote:
From the editors of Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...ery-kid-should
-learn-to-use?click=pp#slide-1

What tool would you add to the list?

Pencil and paper.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Winner!

Better than a rock.

And a lesson that 3/16 + 1/8 is not 4/24, 2/12 or 1/6.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

On Thu, 23 May 2013 08:59:18 -0400, George
wrote:

On 5/23/2013 3:55 AM, nestork wrote:

Magazines like Popular Mechanics pay freelance writers to write
articles for publication, and the tools in this article were just
whatever some guy happened to think of in five minutes worth of
thinking. But, I

Exactly, magazines like that are a total waste of time for that
reason.

It is like asking "what is the best flavor of ice cream?". Totally
pointless and useless.

Exactly. Everyone knows it is vanilla so asking is silly.

You betcha.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ashton Crusher wrote in
news
wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in news:auedndMk-
:

From the editors of Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...every-kid-shou
[...]

Recertification when you get a flat? :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ashton Crusher wrote in
:

wrote:

Ashton Crusher wrote in
newsg7up8l7jvocb1faq4hdqr63mh3ih1afu9@ 4ax.com:

When my kids got their drivers licenses one of the things we did in
the first couple weeks was learn to change a tire - I supervised and
they did it.

I made sure my kids knew how to change a tire as soon as they were
strong enough to do it, probably somewhere around age 12.

Hey dad, can we get ice cream? Yeah, as soon as you change that tire!

Depends on the flavor dad...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Sigh. Trust Ed to get it wrong. It's chocolate.

Chocolate ice cream makes terrible root beer floats.

But it makes an excellent Dr. Pepper Float.

Gag! What a disgusting combination!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
Ashton Crusher wrote in
news
wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in news:auedndMk-
:

From the editors of Popular Mechanics:

[...]

ABSOLUTELY !

Master of the obvious JayPique Woodworking 1 March 16th 11 01:22 AM
OT - Master of the obvious. MikeWhy Woodworking 11 January 6th 09 05:59 AM
CED Control Master prestwichjon UK diy 2 January 21st 08 11:48 PM
tools, air tools, power tools, hand tools, cordeless tool 4qO3HN tim Electronics Repair 0 February 21st 07 08:34 PM
Master Cabinetmaker Bob S. Woodworking 18 November 15th 03 03:19 PM