Posted to alt.home.repair
cj cj is offline

Default keeping it level

I am planning to build a retaining wall that will be around 50' in
length, using concrete blocks from HD like this
http://tinyurl.com/cafa5te. There seems to be a ton of laser levelers @
amazon and I am looking for one under $100 that will emit a strong
enough beam that can be easily seen from one end to the other. Any
input/recommendations would be appreciated.

thanks,CJ
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 May 2013 10:25:39 -0400, cj wrote:

I am planning to build a retaining wall that will be around 50' in
length, using concrete blocks from HD like this
http://tinyurl.com/cafa5te. There seems to be a ton of laser levelers @
amazon and I am looking for one under $100 that will emit a strong
enough beam that can be easily seen from one end to the other. Any
input/recommendations would be appreciated.

Buy a 100' of clear plastic tubing for about $25. And a couple of
buckets from the dollar store.

Much more accurate, versatile, and longer lasting than the electronic
gadget. [I've got both-- used the laser a few times, and checked
it with the water/tubing.] Want to buy a slightly used laser level?

The tubing works day or night; you can leave it out in the rain- drop
a brick on it- works around corners. . .

You'll use the 50 feet just to set things up--- a decent 4' bubble
level will keep you honest after the initial layout.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 May 2013 10:25:39 -0400, cj wrote:

I am planning to build a retaining wall that will be around 50' in
length, using concrete blocks from HD like this
http://tinyurl.com/cafa5te. There seems to be a ton of laser levelers @
amazon and I am looking for one under $100 that will emit a strong
enough beam that can be easily seen from one end to the other. Any
input/recommendations would be appreciated.

thanks,CJ

Any laser should be seen at 50ft. Even those $5 laser pointers go
further than that. Buy what is affordable. Then dont leave the
batteries in them. They corrode and destroy the tool, just like a
flashlight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 May 2013 17:04:12 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 13 May 2013 10:25:39 -0400, cj wrote:

I am planning to build a retaining wall that will be around 50' in
length, using concrete blocks from HD like this
http://tinyurl.com/cafa5te. There seems to be a ton of laser levelers @
amazon and I am looking for one under $100 that will emit a strong
enough beam that can be easily seen from one end to the other. Any
input/recommendations would be appreciated.

thanks,CJ

Any laser should be seen at 50ft. Even those $5 laser pointers go
further than that. Buy what is affordable. Then dont leave the
batteries in them. They corrode and destroy the tool, just like a
flashlight.

I have several laser tools that can't be seen at 50ft during when it's
bright sunlight. They really should use green lasers for these tools;
much more visible.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Elbrecht View Post
Buy a 100' of clear plastic tubing for about $25. And a couple of buckets from the dollar store.
Jim
What do you need the buckets for?

Senior Member

Filling a length of clear vinyl tubing with water is a lost art. Here's how you do it:

1. Wrap the tubing around the inside of a 5 gallon pail, garbage can or empty barrel (depending on the length of the tubing) in a spiral manner.

2. Reach to the bottom of pail, can or barrel and grab the BOTTOM end of the tube and stick a funnel in it.

3. Now, pour water into the funnel so that the tube actually fills from the bottom. That way, you don't get any air bubbles trapped in the tube.

I expect that using the clear vinyl tubing as a siphon to siphon water from one level to another would probably work, too, but I never tried doing that.

Last edited by nestork : May 14th 13 at 01:59 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 May 2013 10:25:39 -0400, cj wrote:

I am planning to build a retaining wall that will be around 50' in
length, using concrete blocks from HD like this
http://tinyurl.com/cafa5te. There seems to be a ton of laser levelers @
amazon and I am looking for one under $100 that will emit a strong
enough beam that can be easily seen from one end to the other. Any
input/recommendations would be appreciated.

thanks,CJ

Before you buy the block, check other sources. We have three in our
small town. You may find styles you like better at about the same
price, delivered to the job. You don't want to have to load and
unload that stuff if you don't have to.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 8:13*am, wrote:
On Mon, 13 May 2013 10:25:39 -0400, cj wrote:
I am planning to build a retaining wall that will be around 50' in
length, using concrete blocks from HD like this
http://tinyurl.com/cafa5te. There seems to be a ton of laser levelers @
amazon and I am looking for one under $100 that will emit a strong
enough beam that can be easily seen from one end to the other. Any
input/recommendations would be appreciated.

thanks,CJ

They built the pyramids with string. It still works just fine.
Maybe a water level (hose with water in it) would be handy tho to get
the ends level, then use a string line.

With those blocks, why the string? Aren't they "self-leveling" once
the foundation is level?

As for water levels there are a couple things that will throw them
off:
1. Air bubble in line - I've never figured out why it throws it off
but it can.
2. Part of tube in shade, other in sun.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 May 2013 02:41:05 +0200, nestork
wrote:

Jim Elbrecht;3061379 Wrote:

Buy a 100' of clear plastic tubing for about $25. And a couple of
buckets from the dollar store.
Jim

What do you need the buckets for?

I fill them with water & tape the tubing to them and use them to hold
'stale' water for filling the tube. I get less air bubbles that
way.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 May 2013 22:02:03 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Mon, 13 May 2013 10:25:39 -0400, cj wrote:

I am planning to build a retaining wall that will be around 50' in
length, using concrete blocks from HD like this
http://tinyurl.com/cafa5te. There seems to be a ton of laser levelers @
amazon and I am looking for one under $100 that will emit a strong
enough beam that can be easily seen from one end to the other. Any
input/recommendations would be appreciated.

thanks,CJ

Before you buy the block, check other sources. We have three in our
small town. You may find styles you like better at about the same
price, delivered to the job. You don't want to have to load and
unload that stuff if you don't have to.

+1 on that--- Not to mention, the advice I got from my local block
supplier [and maker] was worth more than the $1500 worth of block I
bought there.

Patio and wall looking just fine a decade after-

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
On May 13, 8:13 am, wrote:
On Mon, 13 May 2013 10:25:39 -0400, cj wrote:
I am planning to build a retaining wall that will be around 50' in
length, using concrete blocks from HD like this
http://tinyurl.com/cafa5te. There seems to be a ton of laser
levelers @ amazon and I am looking for one under $100 that will
emit a strong enough beam that can be easily seen from one end to
the other. Any input/recommendations would be appreciated.

thanks,CJ

They built the pyramids with string. It still works just fine.
Maybe a water level (hose with water in it) would be handy tho to get
the ends level, then use a string line.

With those blocks, why the string? Aren't they "self-leveling" once
the foundation is level?

No, they're not.

Here's how the Egyptians got each concourse of blocks level:

After laying a layer of blocks, the engineers constructed a copper cofferdam
around the perimeter. Into this they poured water. As the water evaporated,
bits of stone would protrude from the water. Whenever a bit of stone
appeared, some workers would scamper over to the high spot and shave it down
to the level of the liquid.

After a few (two? three?) sandings, they'd have a dog-gone smooth, level,
surface, ready for the next layer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 5:19*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Harry K wrote:
On May 13, 8:13 am, wrote:
[...]

What does handmade stone blocks have to do with factory manufactured
standard size blocks?

No, after the foundation is level there is no need for a string.
Those blocks are laid dry with no mortar to level them.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 May 2013 11:01:03 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

No, after the foundation is level there is no need for a string.
Those blocks are laid dry with no mortar to level them.

Harry K

I'd still have handy level to check the plumb.

Just in case, a string level:

http://gorambling.com/images/building_stuff/tools/string_line_level.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

No, after the foundation is level there is no need for a string.
Those blocks are laid dry with no mortar to level them.

Harry K

I'd still have handy level to check the plumb.

Just in case, a string level:

http://gorambling.com/images/building_stuff/tools/string_line_level.jpg

Do you _really_ think that I and the others in this forum don't know
about a string level?

The "level" and "plumb" are built into the blocks. Unless you start
adding mortar or sand while laying them, there is no adjustment you
can make. Get your foundation level and go.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 11:13*pm, wrote:

wrote:

No, after the foundation is level there is no need for a string.
Those blocks are laid dry with no mortar to level them.

Harry K

I'd still have handy level to check the plumb.

Just in case, a string level:

http://gorambling.com/images/building_stuff/tools/string_line_level.jpg

Do you _really_ think that I and the others in this forum don't know
about a string level?

The "level" and "plumb" are built into the blocks. *Unless you start
adding mortar or sand while laying them, there is no adjustment you
can make. *Get your foundation level and go.

Harry K

Certainly you want to be level on the top of the first course (with
CMUs)
I understand this guy is doing rubble stone so I think plumb is all
that is relatively important until you get close to the top. Again, a
string line is all you need..

Per the picture , he is using the cast concrete decorator blocks.
Those have a lip that gives an offest on each course to slope the
retaining wall back.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

No, after the foundation is level there is no need for a string.
Those blocks are laid dry with no mortar to level them.

Harry K

I'd still have handy level to check the plumb.

Just in case, a string level:

http://gorambling.com/images/building_stuff/tools/string_line_level.jpg

Do you _really_ think that I and the others in this forum don't know
about a string level?

How did you jump to that conclusion?

The "level" and "plumb" are built into the blocks. Unless you start
adding mortar or sand while laying them, there is no adjustment you
can make. Get your foundation level and go.

Harry K

.... and I stated what "I" would do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

No, after the foundation is level there is no need for a string.
Those blocks are laid dry with no mortar to level them.

Harry K

I'd still have handy level to check the plumb.

Just in case, a string level:

http://gorambling.com/images/building_stuff/tools/string_line_level.jpg

Do you _really_ think that I and the others in this forum don't know
about a string level?

How did you jump to that conclusion?

What "conclusion" would that be? It was a question, not a statement.
I just thought
it odd that that you bothered to post a picture of something everyone
knew.

A string level is just about the most inaccurate of leveling
instruments around. Too short and unless it is in the exact middle of
the run it lies a bit.

The "level" and "plumb" are built into the blocks. *Unless you start
adding mortar or sand while laying them, there is no adjustment you
can make. *Get your foundation level and go.

Harry K

... and I stated what "I" would do.

And I pointed out that, except for leveling the foundation, it is not
needed.

Harry K