Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Unsticking aluminum tubes

I need to lengthen a solar blanket roller, to reuse it on a
larger swimming pool. The roller is two aluminum tubes, about
4" diameter, end to end, linked by a third tube inside, ridged so
that it touches the enclosing tubes at about 8 points. How to
extend this telescopic tube sysem? Hammering on the inner tube
(reached by a crowbar) earns me half an inch a time, but I am
apprehensive about building up a burr on the aluminum, that
would jam the tube permanently.

Is there any useful trick to unstick telescopic tubing?
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don,

Rather than a crowbar use an appropriately sized tube. A tube that slides
freely into the 4" tube and makes good contact with the inner tube is what
you want. Have someone hold the outer tube while you whack at a scrap of 2X4
placed on the end of driving tube.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 28, 11:48*am, "Don Phillipson" wrote:
I need to lengthen a solar blanket roller, to reuse it on a
larger swimming pool. * The roller is two aluminum tubes, about
4" diameter, end to end, linked by a third tube inside, ridged so
that it touches the enclosing tubes at about 8 points. * How to
extend this telescopic tube sysem? * Hammering on the inner tube
(reached by a crowbar) earns me half an inch a time, but I am
apprehensive about building up a burr on the aluminum, that
would jam the tube permanently.

Is there any useful trick to unstick telescopic tubing?
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

chill the smallet diameter tube and heat the outer tube should loosen
them up somewhat. How much is the overlap, inches or feet or yards or
what?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/28/13 11:48 AM, Don Phillipson wrote:
I need to lengthen a solar blanket roller, to reuse it on a
larger swimming pool. The roller is two aluminum tubes, about
4" diameter, end to end, linked by a third tube inside, ridged so
that it touches the enclosing tubes at about 8 points. How to
extend this telescopic tube sysem? Hammering on the inner tube
(reached by a crowbar) earns me half an inch a time, but I am
apprehensive about building up a burr on the aluminum, that
would jam the tube permanently.

Is there any useful trick to unstick telescopic tubing?

Could you seal the ends of the tubes? If so, maybe a little bit of
air pressure in the tube plus percussive maintenance.
A reminder though. It's pounds per square inch and 3.14 X the radius
squared at the ends of the plugged tubes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David L. Martel" wrote in message

Don,

Rather than a crowbar use an appropriately sized tube. A tube that
slides freely into the 4" tube and makes good contact with the inner tube
is what you want. Have someone hold the outer tube while you whack at a
scrap of 2X4 placed on the end of driving tube.

This is (sort of) what I am trying to do, hammering on a T-section garden
stake, while the outer tube is braced by bungee cords to a trolley, and
the far end free. Air pressure cannot be used (many screw holes in both
tubes). If I can lay hands on a propane torch I shall try warming up the
outer
tube, in case it helps. Thanks to all for suggestions.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 18:00:40 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

If I can lay hands on a propane torch

Shouldn't be hard. Anyone who can afford a pool can afford a propane
torch. Lots of uses.

I shall try warming up the
outer
tube, in case it helps

Sounds very likely to me. I think you need a helper, maybe two. Two
to pull and one to heat. If possible, pull before the inner tube
heats

MAPP gas is hotter than propane, but in this case I don't think it
will matter.