Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do they make 12Volt DC LED Bulbs

They have made 12 volt incandescent bulbs for many years. They have the
same base as a standard lightbulb, and fit the same sockets. They are
used for campers with 12V lighting, and 12V trouble lights that clip on
a car battery. Being incandescent, they drain a battery pretty fast.
Thus LED would be much better.

We now can buy 120V AC LED bulbs that will fit any household socket.
But do they make a similar bulb that uses LEDs, runs on 12V DC and
screws into a standard socket?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 3:58 am, wrote:
They have made 12 volt incandescent bulbs for many years. They have the
same base as a standard lightbulb, and fit the same sockets. They are
used for campers with 12V lighting, and 12V trouble lights that clip on
a car battery. Being incandescent, they drain a battery pretty fast.
Thus LED would be much better.

We now can buy 120V AC LED bulbs that will fit any household socket.
But do they make a similar bulb that uses LEDs, runs on 12V DC and
screws into a standard socket?

Tail lights using LEDs are made for trailers and automobiles and have
been
for many years
If you google " 12 V LED bulbs " you will find a number of
sources
for various styles and for various sockets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
They have made 12 volt incandescent bulbs for many years. They have the
same base as a standard lightbulb, and fit the same sockets. They are
used for campers with 12V lighting, and 12V trouble lights that clip on
a car battery. Being incandescent, they drain a battery pretty fast.
Thus LED would be much better.

We now can buy 120V AC LED bulbs that will fit any household socket.
But do they make a similar bulb that uses LEDs, runs on 12V DC and
screws into a standard socket?

Terrible idea to have a 12 volt bulb with a standard screw-base socket so
that it could be hit with 120 volts by some unsuspecting granny replacing a
light bulb. Where were the electrical safety folks when that idea came
along?

Anyone remember the flashbulbs that looked like standard light bulbs even
including the standard screw base? I always thought that the lamp companies
made them that way just so that practical jokers could screw them into table
and floor lamps to scare the whatever out of people when they came into a
room and turned on the light. Big blast of light and maybe even a small
bang as the flash went off.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

I ordered a code key cutting machine, years ago. It arrived with a 110 volt
plug on it. I wrote the company, and said much of what you said. Never heard
back. I met the company owner, at a trade show, years later and said the
same thing. He seemed unconcerned.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"=" wrote in message ...

Terrible idea to have a 12 volt bulb with a standard screw-base socket so
that it could be hit with 120 volts by some unsuspecting granny replacing a
light bulb. Where were the electrical safety folks when that idea came
along?

Anyone remember the flashbulbs that looked like standard light bulbs even
including the standard screw base? I always thought that the lamp companies
made them that way just so that practical jokers could screw them into table
and floor lamps to scare the whatever out of people when they came into a
room and turned on the light. Big blast of light and maybe even a small
bang as the flash went off.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I ordered a code key cutting machine, years ago. It arrived with a
110 volt plug on it. I wrote the company, and said much of what you
said. Never heard back. I met the company owner, at a trade show,
years later and said the same thing. He seemed unconcerned.
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

My toaster has a 110V plug on it. Should I be concerned?

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/KAB...VH9?Pid=search

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/19/2013 7:01 AM, = wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Professional photographers used them in those big umbrella reflector
setups they used years ago. I remember a crime drama on TV were the
criminal was replacing the regular bulbs in table lamps with the flash
bulbs in order to stun the victims of his crimes. I imagine a lot of
kids and teenagers who saw the show wreaked havoc across the country
after the show aired. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh, gosh, I'd take it right back to the store.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Bob F" wrote in message

My toaster has a 110V plug on it. Should I
be concerned?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 19, 2013 4:58:05 AM UTC-4, wrote:
We now can buy 120V AC LED bulbs that will fit any household socket.
But do they make a similar bulb that uses LEDs, runs on 12V DC and
screws into a standard socket?

Aside from "screws into a standard socket", yes, there are tons of LED-based replacements for automotive bulbs on the market. Some better than others. A lot are garbage.

The ones that have the round dome shaped traditional LEDs are generally garbage. The ones that have LEDs that look like little square bits of clear plastic are the good ones.

Look to replace bulbs lumen-for-lumen. Less lumens means less light. I usually go for more lumens, for more light on less power.

With all the old incandescents turned on in my camper you could barely see and it drew several Amps. The LEDs I replaced them with have 16 high-intensity LEDs per panel, plugged right in place of the old "941" type bulbs. With them all on, you can perform surgery it's so well-lit, and all together they draw 2 Amps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 08:01:59 -0400, "=" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I dont remember the flashlights, but I do agree that those 12V bulbs
should not have a standaerd screw base. They were made that way for
trouble lights. I made an adaptor with 2 battery clips, wire and an
outlet so I could use them on the car battery. I did accidentally plug
one into an AC outlet once and fried the bulb instantly. Nothing
spectacular, it just burned out. I always thought that they should not
only make them require an adaptor, but also have some sort of markings
on the bulb to easily identify it. (which they dont).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 08:27:07 -0400, Art Todesco
wrote:

On 4/19/2013 4:58 AM, wrote:
They have made 12 volt incandescent bulbs for many years. They have the
same base as a standard lightbulb, and fit the same sockets. They are
used for campers with 12V lighting, and 12V trouble lights that clip on
a car battery. Being incandescent, they drain a battery pretty fast.
Thus LED would be much better.

We now can buy 120V AC LED bulbs that will fit any household socket.
But do they make a similar bulb that uses LEDs, runs on 12V DC and
screws into a standard socket?

Just bought a bunch LED lamps for Malibu lights (12V) from an EBAY store
like these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360619336943...S:3160&vxp=mtr
These are like many small lamps used in cars and are 12 volts. They
seem to be available in warm white and cool white.

I just looked at these. They're not all that many lumens, but I suppose
using several of them would do the trick. But what does the base fit
into? Would that be like the bi-pin sockets used for taillights or a
dome light? Screw terminals that go right to wires, or what? The
picture is not real helpful.
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360619336943...viewitem=&sspa...
These are like many small lamps used in cars and are 12 volts. *They
seem to be available in warm white and cool white.

I just looked at these. *They're not all that many lumens, but I suppose
using several of them would do the trick. *But what does the base fit
into? *Would that be like the bi-pin sockets used for taillights or a
dome light? *Screw terminals that go right to wires, or what? *The
picture is not real helpful.- Hide quoted text -

contact the source and ask?!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 03:37:46 -0700 (PDT), Robert
wrote:

On Apr 19, 3:58 am, wrote:
They have made 12 volt incandescent bulbs for many years. They have the
same base as a standard lightbulb, and fit the same sockets. They are
used for campers with 12V lighting, and 12V trouble lights that clip on
a car battery. Being incandescent, they drain a battery pretty fast.
Thus LED would be much better.

We now can buy 120V AC LED bulbs that will fit any household socket.
But do they make a similar bulb that uses LEDs, runs on 12V DC and
screws into a standard socket?

Tail lights using LEDs are made for trailers and automobiles and have
been
for many years
If you google " 12 V LED bulbs " you will find a number of
sources
for various styles and for various sockets.

E27 12 volt LEDs will be rather scarse - but GU10s are very common.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 4/19/2013 2:04 PM, = wrote:

snip

Pow! There goes $12.99 instantly on 120 volts.

Only if you're careless. 12V E26 base bulbs have been available for
decades in incandescent versions, and probably for ten years in CFLs.
Those that purchase them, mainly RV and boat owners, understand that
they are only for use on 12 volts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 10:38:26 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I ordered a code key cutting machine, years ago. It arrived with a 110 volt

What should it have had?

plug on it. I wrote the company, and said much of what you said. Never heard
back. I met the company owner, at a trade show, years later and said the
same thing. He seemed unconcerned.
.
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 08:01:59 -0400, "=" wrote:

Terrible idea to have a 12 volt bulb with a standard screw-base socket so
that it could be hit with 120 volts by some unsuspecting granny replacing a

Would you say the same thing about the incandescent bulbs that have
existed for decades, for indoor trailer lighting and 12v trouble
lights?

light bulb. Where were the electrical safety folks when that idea came
along?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/20/2013 1:10 PM, micky wrote:
Some give milliamps, Most give lumens, but you'd have to look on
lightbub boxes to see how many lumens for a 75 watt bulb.

A generic incandescent bulb emits APPROXIMATELY 15 lumens per watt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SMS" wrote in message
On 4/19/2013 2:04 PM, = wrote:

snip

Pow! There goes $12.99 instantly on 120 volts.

Only if you're careless. 12V E26 base bulbs have been available for
decades in incandescent versions, and probably for ten years in CFLs.
Those that purchase them, mainly RV and boat owners, understand that they
are only for use on 12 volts.

I agree that proper markings on the spec. sheet, bulb and carton will
minimize problems -- and they certainly have for the many years that such
medium-base, low voltage bulbs have been used.

But with the great variety of "fool-resistant" bulb base types these days,
there's little reason to continue to make and use a screw-base configuration
that is so easy to apply incorrectly and which is unsafe and now expensive
(because of LEDs) if a mistake is made.

Time to fix the problem -- a permanent socket adapter and the use of a lamp
with a low-voltage base would be a simple, cheap fix that anyone can do.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 14:07:54 -0400, diy savant wrote:

On 4/20/2013 1:10 PM, micky wrote:
Some give milliamps, Most give lumens, but you'd have to look on
lightbub boxes to see how many lumens for a 75 watt bulb.

A generic incandescent bulb emits APPROXIMATELY 15 lumens per watt.

Well, here's the page I was looking at.
http://www.ledlight.com/standard-led-light.aspx

My multiplicaiton skills are tired.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bare wire end, or 12 volt auto lighter plug.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
wrote:

I ordered a code key cutting machine, years ago. It arrived with a 110 volt

What should it have had?

plug on it.