Posted to alt.home.repair
=[_2_] =[_2_] is offline

Default Do they make 12Volt DC LED Bulbs

wrote in message
They have made 12 volt incandescent bulbs for many years. They have the
same base as a standard lightbulb, and fit the same sockets. They are
used for campers with 12V lighting, and 12V trouble lights that clip on
a car battery. Being incandescent, they drain a battery pretty fast.
Thus LED would be much better.

We now can buy 120V AC LED bulbs that will fit any household socket.
But do they make a similar bulb that uses LEDs, runs on 12V DC and
screws into a standard socket?

Terrible idea to have a 12 volt bulb with a standard screw-base socket so
that it could be hit with 120 volts by some unsuspecting granny replacing a
light bulb. Where were the electrical safety folks when that idea came
along?

Anyone remember the flashbulbs that looked like standard light bulbs even
including the standard screw base? I always thought that the lamp companies
made them that way just so that practical jokers could screw them into table
and floor lamps to scare the whatever out of people when they came into a
room and turned on the light. Big blast of light and maybe even a small
bang as the flash went off.

Tomsic