Posted to alt.home.repair
ted ted is offline

Default set a sump pump

What's better to set a sump pump in: crushed stone or gravel. I heard
crushed stone, but I have a ton of gravel (about 3/4") and I would
like to use that if I could.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 7:14*pm, ted wrote:
What's better to set a sump pump in: crushed stone or gravel. I heard
crushed stone, but I have a ton of gravel (about 3/4") and I would
like to use that if I could.

I don't think it makes any difference, unless the size is so
small that it could get sucked in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 9 Apr 2013 16:24:39 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Apr 9, 7:14*pm, ted wrote:
What's better to set a sump pump in: crushed stone or gravel. I heard
crushed stone, but I have a ton of gravel (about 3/4") and I would
like to use that if I could.

I don't think it makes any difference, unless the size is so
small that it could get sucked in.

I don't think it makes much difference. With larger gravel, your
first attempt to put the pump down might leave it sitting on one high
corner, so that it rocks but a) after it's connected to the fixed
output pipe, it won't rock, b) before connecting, you can use your
hands to take out the high places. It will take an extra 5 minutes or
less. That's what I would do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 09 Apr 2013 19:14:17 -0400, ted wrote:

What's better to set a sump pump in: crushed stone or gravel. I heard
crushed stone, but I have a ton of gravel (about 3/4") and I would
like to use that if I could.

First- set it *on*, not *in* a 6" or so bed of gravel.

Second- It doesn't matter. [but I wouldn't use the whole ton.g]

Jim
Senior Member

I would buy the smallest concrete paver I could at any landscaping store, drill a hole through it at one corner and put a bolt and chain through that hole so you can pull that paver out of the pit if you ever need to. Set the paver down on whatever you have (crushed stone OR gravel), and then set the sump pump on the paver. A sump pit will have a grate around it's base to sift out anything too big to go through it, but it's better if no stones go through it at all.

Elevating the pump a bit by setting it on a paver will ensure you don't suck up any stones. The water in your sump pit will be 2 or 3 inches higher than normal, but that doesn't matter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ted" wrote in message ...
What's better to set a sump pump in: crushed stone or gravel. I heard
crushed stone, but I have a ton of gravel (about 3/4") and I would
like to use that if I could.

Either one is OK
Even better, drop a cinder block into the hole if one can fit, so that the
holes are facing up
Put the pump on the cinder block.
This way your pump is a few inches above the rock/gravel, and there is no
chance of any getting sucked up into the pump.

Alternately get a grass paver
http://www.hellotrade.com/kreative-c...ss-pavers.html
That works even better