Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stuuborn leak on new bath sink tailpiece

I replaced a friends bathroom sink tailpiece yesterday and I am having
problems with a leak in the pipe with fine threads that goes into the
main body of the tailpipe. It is part RP 6128 in the pic below.
http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i.../i/infpop1.gif

When I first installed the tailpiece, it leaked. So I removed it and
used teflon tape, still leaked. Then I used Rectorseal teflon pipe
seal, still leaked.

So I thought maybe I have a defective pipe. So I got a new one,put it
in, same thing, still leaks. Any ideas? I'm ready to put 5 minute
Epoxy on this thing if i can't stop this leak.
Posted to alt.home.repair

main body of the tailpipe. It is part RP 6128 in the pic below.http://www..naturalhandyman.com/iip/.../i/infpop1.gif

When I first installed the tailpiece, it leaked. So I removed it and
used *teflon tape, still leaked. Then I used Rectorseal teflon pipe
seal, still leaked.

So I thought maybe I have a defective pipe. So I got a new one,put it
in, same thing, still leaks. Any ideas? I'm ready to put 5 minute
Epoxy on this thing if i can't stop this leak.

use silicone bathtub caulk, the stuff you put around the tub. be
generous, and its easy to remove in the future but seals great.

I had a leaky toilet tank that leaked at the bolts just a little.

finally gave up and called a plumber/

he used the silicone goo, at first assembly.

no leaks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 2, 8:12*am, Mikepier wrote:
I replaced a friends bathroom sink tailpiece yesterday and I am having
problems with a leak in the pipe with fine threads that goes into the
main body of the tailpipe. It is part RP 6128 in the pic below.http://www..naturalhandyman.com/iip/.../i/infpop1.gif

When I first installed the tailpiece, it leaked. So I removed it and
used *teflon tape, still leaked. Then I used Rectorseal teflon pipe
seal, still leaked.

So I thought maybe I have a defective pipe. So I got a new one,put it
in, same thing, still leaks. Any ideas? I'm ready to put 5 minute
Epoxy on this thing if i can't stop this leak.

Sometimes a factor in this is that it's either not tight enough
or too tight. How are you tightening it up?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 2 Apr 2013 05:12:44 -0700 (PDT), Mikepier
wrote:

I replaced a friends bathroom sink tailpiece yesterday and I am having
problems with a leak in the pipe with fine threads that goes into the
main body of the tailpipe. It is part RP 6128 in the pic below.
http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i.../i/infpop1.gif

When I first installed the tailpiece, it leaked. So I removed it and
used teflon tape, still leaked. Then I used Rectorseal teflon pipe
seal, still leaked.

So I thought maybe I have a defective pipe. So I got a new one,put it
in, same thing, still leaks. Any ideas? I'm ready to put 5 minute
Epoxy on this thing if i can't stop this leak.

Make sure the leak is not from the trip lever packing nut or fittings
above.
--
Mr.E
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 2, 8:38*am, "
wrote:
On Apr 2, 8:12*am, Mikepier wrote:

I replaced a friends bathroom sink tailpiece yesterday and I am having
problems with a leak in the pipe with fine threads that goes into the
main body of the tailpipe. It is part RP 6128 in the pic below.http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i.../i/infpop1.gif

When I first installed the tailpiece, it leaked. So I removed it and
used *teflon tape, still leaked. Then I used Rectorseal teflon pipe
seal, still leaked.

So I thought maybe I have a defective pipe. So I got a new one,put it
in, same thing, still leaks. Any ideas? I'm ready to put 5 minute
Epoxy on this thing if i can't stop this leak.

Sometimes a factor in this is that it's either not tight enough
or too tight. *How are you tightening it up?

Just hand tight at first. When it leaked, I tightened it a bit more
with a wrench, but not at the top where I could risk bending the pipe,
but rather down at the bottom. I took the P-trap out and put my
channel locks not around the pipe, but I grabbed the inner and outer
part of the pipe and gave it a little twist.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike,

Water flows down hill, so wrap each connection, one at a time, starting
at the top with toilet paper, then run the water. This will help you locate
the joint that's leaking. I'd look carefully at the pivot seat.
Assuming that you are right and the mainbody/tailpiece joint is leaking,
I'd return the mainbody. You've already eliminated the tailpiece as the
cause of the leak.
These are low pressure connections and should be easy to make leak-free
unless something is broken or not tightened

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 2, 8:12*am, Mikepier wrote:

So I thought maybe I have a defective pipe. So I got a new one,put it
in, same thing, still leaks. Any ideas? I'm ready to put 5 minute
Epoxy on this thing if i can't stop this leak.

Sounds like it's leaking above the tailpiece, probably around RP23060.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like it's leaking above the tailpiece, probably around RP23060.
*-----

Its's not. That part is ok.
I see drops of water coming out of where the threaded pipe meets the
main body. Not a lot, but enough to notice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 2, 9:52*am, Mikepier wrote:
Sounds like it's leaking above the tailpiece, probably around RP23060.

Its's not. That part is ok.
*I see drops of water coming out of where the threaded pipe meets the
main body. Not a lot, but enough to notice.

Seems impossible, unless the downstream part of the P-trap is higher
than where the tailpiece joins it... or your tailpiece doesn't extend
sufficiently into the P-trap.

You've taped a joint that doesn't need taping and still your leak
persists. Something is wrong, and it can't be gravity.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 4/2/2013 7:54 AM, Mikepier wrote:
On Apr 2, 8:38 am,
wrote:
On Apr 2, 8:12 am, wrote:

I replaced a friends bathroom sink tailpiece yesterday and I am having

When I first installed the tailpiece, it leaked. So I removed it and
used teflon tape, still leaked. Then I used Rectorseal teflon pipe
seal, still leaked.

So I thought maybe I have a defective pipe. So I got a new one,put it
in, same thing, still leaks. Any ideas? I'm ready to put 5 minute
Epoxy on this thing if i can't stop this leak.

Sometimes a factor in this is that it's either not tight enough
or too tight. How are you tightening it up?

I'm also virtually certain after reading description below it's just not
tight...

Just hand tight at first. When it leaked, I tightened it a bit more
with a wrench, but not at the top where I could risk bending the pipe,
but rather down at the bottom. I took the P-trap out and put my
channel locks not around the pipe, but I grabbed the inner and outer
part of the pipe and gave it a little twist.

Tape and tighten--it's tapered thread so has to be tight. If it's
chromed use a rag to keep from knicking the plating and use the force,
luke...

Senior Member

If it were me, I would:

A) Wrap those fine threads with teflon tape and then tighten the joint. I realize they're not tapered threads, but the teflon tape will at least stop the leak.

B) Next time use a WALTEC tail piece. Waltec taile pieces are a single piece unit that can't leak. They use a big rubber washer at the bottom of the sink which can be difficult to put on if you don't know to use silicone caulk as a lubricant when assembling the tail piece onto the sink. If you slather up that Waltec tail piece with silicone caulk, you can slide that rubber washer on no problem.
Senior Member

I'd wrap those fine threads on the tail piece with teflon tape and then squeeze the fine threads with one hand while rotating the tail piece with the other hand to pack the teflon into the thread valleys. I realize they're not tapered threads, but the teflon tape will at least plug up the leak.

You won't find that in the installation instructions because the company that makes that tail piece doesn't want to admit that they have a lousy design.

I don't know if Waltec makes a drain with a pop up plug like that, but in all 22 of my sinks, I just use a WALTEC tail piece with a rubber stopper because:

a) Waltec bathroom sink tail pieces are a single unit, so they can't leak where the two parts thread together cuz there only is one part, and

b) a rubber stopper creates far fewer problems for me than a pop out plug.

Just be sure to use silicone caulk as a lubricant when installing the Waltec onto the sink. Otherwise it'll be like fighting with a bear to get the rubber shank washer over the Waltec.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tape and tighten--it's tapered thread so has to be tight. *If it's
chromed use a rag to keep from knicking the plating and use the force,
luke...

This is a thin pipe, it seems it will bend easy or become out of round
if I use a lot of force on it, making the leak worse.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/2/2013 5:12 AM, Mikepier wrote:
I replaced a friends bathroom sink tailpiece yesterday and I am having
problems with a leak in the pipe with fine threads that goes into the
main body of the tailpipe. It is part RP 6128 in the pic below.
http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i.../i/infpop1.gif

When I first installed the tailpiece, it leaked. So I removed it and
used teflon tape, still leaked. Then I used Rectorseal teflon pipe
seal, still leaked.

So I thought maybe I have a defective pipe. So I got a new one,put it
in, same thing, still leaks. Any ideas? I'm ready to put 5 minute
Epoxy on this thing if i can't stop this leak.

tape isn't generally used to make it seal, but to make it slippery so yo
can tighten it some more. they make a sealant putty for this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 2, 2013 1:24:37 PM UTC-4, chaniarts wrote:
On 4/2/2013 5:12 AM, Mikepier wrote: I replaced a friends bathroom sink tailpiece yesterday and I am having problems with a leak in the pipe with fine threads that goes into the main body of the tailpipe. It is part RP 6128 in the pic below. http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i.../i/infpop1.gif When I first installed the tailpiece, it leaked. So I removed it and used teflon tape, still leaked. Then I used Rectorseal teflon pipe seal, still leaked. So I thought maybe I have a defective pipe. So I got a new one,put it in, same thing, still leaks. Any ideas? I'm ready to put 5 minute Epoxy on this thing if i can't stop this leak. tape isn't generally used to make it seal, but to make it slippery so yo can tighten it some more. they make a sealant putty for this.

Lowes has a teflon sealer that is a white thick liquid in a can with a brush. Can sized about like the pvc glue. Works pretty well for me in these situations.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 2, 10:24*am, chaniarts wrote:
On 4/2/2013 5:12 AM, Mikepier wrote:

I replaced a friends bathroom sink tailpiece yesterday and I am having
problems with a leak in the pipe with fine threads that goes into the
main body of the tailpipe. It is part RP 6128 in the pic below.
http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i.../i/infpop1.gif

When I first installed the tailpiece, it leaked. So I removed it and
used *teflon tape, still leaked. Then I used Rectorseal teflon pipe
seal, still leaked.

So I thought maybe I have a defective pipe. So I got a new one,put it
in, same thing, still leaks. Any ideas? I'm ready to put 5 minute
Epoxy on this thing if i can't stop this leak.

tape isn't generally used to make it seal, but to make it slippery so yo
can tighten it some more. they make a sealant putty for this.

Please stop repeating that "suburban legend".

Tape IS for sealing, it's meant to take up the "designed in" clearance
between internal & external tapered threads.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 2, 8:23*am, nestork wrote:
If it were me, I would:

A) Wrap those fine threads with teflon tape and then tighten the joint.
I realize they're not tapered threads, but the teflon tape will at least
stop the leak.

B) Next time use a WALTEC tail piece. *Waltec taile pieces are a single
piece unit that can't leak. *They use a big rubber washer at the bottom
of the sink which can be difficult to put on if you don't know to use
silicone caulk as a lubricant when assembling the tail piece onto the
sink. *If you slather up that Waltec tail piece with silicone caulk, you
can slide that rubber washer on no problem.

--
nestork

As nestork points out....

tail piece threads are not tapered threads
and as such, the joint is not meant for tape.

BUT tape can sometimes work in these situations.
I had a stubborn tail piece installation and used heavy silicone
vacuum grease to seal it.

An alternative that would work... RectorSeal #2 Soft Set
But I think #2 is no longer available,
replaced by #2 Plus Teflon (everything's gotta have teflon in it!)
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpb View Post
wrote:
On Apr 2, 8:12 am, wrote:

[...]

a pipe repair clamp is a big help..precautionary measure in case a pipe bursts while doing repairs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 09:05:13 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Tuesday, April 2, 2013 8:12:44 AM UTC-4, Mikepier wrote:
I replaced a friends bathroom sink tailpiece yesterday and I am having
problems with a leak in the pipe with fine threads that goes into the
main body of the tailpipe. It is part RP 6128 in the pic below.
http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i.../i/infpop1.gif

When I first installed the tailpiece, it leaked. So I removed it and
used teflon tape, still leaked. Then I used Rectorseal teflon pipe
seal, still leaked.

So I thought maybe I have a defective pipe. So I got a new one,put it
in, same thing, still leaks. Any ideas? I'm ready to put 5 minute
Epoxy on this thing if i can't stop this leak.

Your problem is not uncommon. I worked as a plumber for quite a few
years. Those fine threads were a common source of trouble. I often
wondered why they designed them like that. Anyhow, there is a simple
solution. Make sure both pieces are dry. Then put a thick coating of
silicone caulk on both the male and female threads, and tighten it
firmly. Let the silicone dry before running water or disturbing that
pipe, for at least an hour.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

By the way:
The epoxy will probably work too, but you'll never be able to take it
apart again. With the silicone, you can unscrew it, but not easily.
But it's unlikely you'll even need to unscrew it anyhow. By that time,
you'll probably replace it again.

One final thought. Pipe threads such as on a steel pipe, have a taper
to them, which is why they seal as they are tightened. Those fine
threads on those drain pipes have no taper. It's poor design! It
should say on the package to use silicone. (Or be re-designed at the
factory).

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
| Double check that it's not the large flange and rubber seal that's mated
to the sink itself. It may be leaking there and then running down the
tailpipe to give you a false sense of where the leak actually lies.

| On Tuesday, April 2, 2013 8:12:44 AM UTC-4, Mikepier wrote:

Do you suppose that Mikepier is still waitnig for an answer,
some 20 months after he worked on the sink. In that case
you should probably also tell him how to repair the floor.

You might also want to get a real newsreader and stop
using Google Groups, so that you can see the actual current
discussions.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DEH DEH is offline

replying to Jerry.Tan, DEH wrote:
Thank you for the tip. I have been taking my drain assembly apart and
reassembling it for 2 days now and it still leaks! Tonight I'm using
silicone!!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ce-742918-.htm

Leak behind sink, PT2 Dave Home Repair 7 August 26th 11 05:21 AM
how to fix a water leak under the bath tub thefoxandthekitchen.blogspot.com Home Repair 5 January 17th 08 10:57 PM
How the hell (bath tails / leak)... Colin Wilson UK diy 23 September 2nd 07 05:10 PM
new sink and drain issues with dishwasher tailpiece... scale Home Repair 1 March 4th 06 11:36 PM
Leak under sink Lucy Home Ownership 1 April 27th 05 08:04 PM