Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Leak behind sink, PT2

Was telling someone about the work we had done, where I had to cut a hole in
the side of the house to give the plumber access to the pipes in question,
and suddenly realized that it looked like he used plain old Sch. 40 PVC for
the drain for the kitchen sink. Problem is, I think, my wife likes to pour
a big stockpot (has to be four gallons, seriously) of boiling water down the
sink drain first time it starts to run slow or stop up. If I am not
mistaken, that will not work well with standard schedule 40 PVC, will it? I
suspect I need CPVC in that drain line, do I not? Can anyone (try to)
enlighten me as to what will happen if my wife pours boiling water down the
drain if it is made out of standard PVC? I have a picture that shows the
piping with writing on the side. It says "PVC-1120 SCH 40 RR .330 PSI @ 73
(degree mark) F" Is that not standard schedule 40 PVC? The receptionist
at the plumbing co. says they "always use CPVC, so it's fine. Don't worry."

If somene will clue me in to where I might post this so others here on the
NG can see what I am talking about, I will try to do that. I hate to be
totally clueless, but I have no idea as to where to post such a picture so I
can provide the link for others to go observe it.

Many thanks,

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 6:19*pm, "Dave" wrote:
[...]

PVC used for drain pipes is normally the DWV type. However
I think you will find that both it and PVC used for fresh water
will be OK when used for drains which are not pressurized
even if you occasionally pour boiling water down them. The
pipe spec you are looking at says it will withstand 330PSI at
room temperature. Given that it has almost no pressure in
a drain application, I'd say you're fine.

Simple experiment. Heat up a pot of water until it's boiling.
Turn off the heat. Insert a piece of PVC for a few minutes
and see if it's still rigid when removed. That test is a lot
worse than just pouring some boiling water down the sink.
You can bend PVC by heating it, but I've always done that
over a gas stove flame, which takes the pipe to a lot higher
than 212F, at least I think.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Aug 25, 6:19 pm, "Dave" wrote:
[...]

Hey Trader...

Okay, that makes some sense at least. I was checking online, and it kind of
looks like CPVC is Schedule 80. Does that sound right? Just wondering, and
trying to understand what I found...

Many thanks,

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 10:02*pm, "Dave" wrote:
wrote in message

On Aug 25, 6:19 pm, "Dave" wrote:

[...]

Dave- Hide quoted text -

the better drain pipe can be used for pressure applications DWV isnt
designed for that.

and tell your wife to run cold water while duming her stock pots to
cool the drain water a little
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave" wrote in message
netamerica...
[...]

If you mean how can you post a picture here, you can do this:

Go to http://tinypic.com/ . Then click on "Browse" to find the picture
that you want to upload. Click on that picture, the click "Upload".

After you upload it, copy the URL address that appears in the "Direct Link
for Layouts" box and paste into a message that you post here. Then anyone
who reads the message can click on that link and you picture will pop up.

As far as using Schedule 40 for the drain, even though your wife pours
boiling hot water down the drain, I don't think that will be any problem. I
am not even sure you would be able to find CPVC in 1-1/2" or 2" sizes for a
drain if you wanted to use that. I've never seen it used for. And, as
someone else here already posted, the writing on the side of the PVC that
you have now is about what pressure it will withstand at a certain temp.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 9:16*pm, bob haller wrote:
On Aug 25, 10:02*pm, "Dave" wrote:

wrote in message

On Aug 25, 6:19 pm, "Dave" wrote:

[...]

cool the drain water a little- Hide quoted text -

she uses bioiling water to clear a slow-running drain, read the OP.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave wrote:
PVC used for drain pipes is normally the DWV type.

If you mean the black stuff, I believe that is ABS, not PVC.

Leak Under Kitchen Sink mcp6453[_2_] Home Repair 10 January 23rd 10 10:50 PM
Disposal/Sink Leak bworthey[_2_] Home Repair 2 March 19th 08 07:04 PM
Tape for leak under sink [email protected] Home Repair 12 March 24th 06 05:05 PM
Leak under sink Lucy Home Ownership 1 April 27th 05 08:04 PM
Leak under kitchen sink Ohaya Home Repair 6 February 24th 04 07:58 AM