Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tape for leak under sink

I have a very, very slow leak in the trap under bathroom sink.
(I think it got that way after I used a strong drain opener!)
I put a jar underneath to catch the drip but it's so ugly!

Is there a plumber's tape that will seal the leak semi-permanently --
or at least till I can afford a plumber?

Tx

Aspasia

Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

Replace the trap. It is relatively simple.

Is the trap under the sink metal or white plastic?
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message

I have a very, very slow leak in the trap under bathroom sink.
(I think it got that way after I used a strong drain opener!)
I put a jar underneath to catch the drip but it's so ugly!

Is there a plumber's tape that will seal the leak
semi-permanently --
or at least till I can afford a plumber?

Tx

Aspasia

Posted to alt.home.repair
aspasia

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 20:20:55 -0600, "DanG" wrote:

Replace the trap. It is relatively simple.

I know it is -- in theory. I'm just not up to crawling under there
with a wrench. Very narrow space. I had sink set into an old sewing
machine cabinet long ago - looks kewl but not easy to access.
Call me chicken...g

Is the trap under the sink metal or white plastic?

Metal.

Any word on temporary fix w/tape?

Aspasia

______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
m...

I have a very, very slow leak in the trap under bathroom sink.
(I think it got that way after I used a strong drain opener!)
I put a jar underneath to catch the drip but it's so ugly!

Is there a plumber's tape that will seal the leak
semi-permanently --
or at least till I can afford a plumber?

Tx

Aspasia

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

aspasia wrote in message

Is the trap under the sink metal or white plastic?

Metal.

Any word on temporary fix w/tape?

No tape is going to properly fix it long term. Most any tape can buy you a
few weeks, like duct or electrical tape. You can buy a new trap for about
$10 and replace it yourself for just a few dollars. It is one of the easier
plumbing jobs you can do. It will leak again if it is corroded.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

I have never had any luck getting tape, rags, etc stopping the
water. There is a spray available that supposedly seals leaks
from the outside. I have no experience, but have seen several
at the big box stores. Duct tape and other wide tapes do not form
to the round curving surfaces well. Electrician's tape does well
with the curves. It will certainly slow the leak, but it will not
cure it for anything more than a very temporary time. The taped
up trap would look more ugly to me than the bowl catching the
drips. The ugly bowl catching the drips is certainly better than
water staining and warping the cabinet bottom.

If you decide to take it on, the big issue is how the trap finally
goes into the wall. If it going into a threaded ring at the wall,
it will be fairly simple. If it is soldered directly into a pipe
at the wall, it may be beyond DIY capabilities.

Can you tell if the bottom of the trap is eaten out or if the leak
is coming from one of the threaded fittings? Assuming the bottom
of the trap is damaged, you should be able to replace just the
trap. It would require using something like a channel lock pliers
(pump pliers) or small pipe wrench to loosen the existing threaded
rings and to reinstall them on the new trap.

If I were doing it, I would change out the existing metal to PVC.
I am old enough to remember hating all things plastic, but plastic
plumbing was one of the first things to change my mind about
plastic. A whole trap assembly costs under $10. and the plastic
can deal with almost any chemical you dump down the drain (you
buy acid in plastic bottles). The trap set tightens by hand
needing no tools. You may still need the tools to get the old
metal one loose.

______________________________

wrote:

Replace the trap. It is relatively simple.

I know it is -- in theory. I'm just not up to crawling under
there
with a wrench. Very narrow space. I had sink set into an old
sewing
machine cabinet long ago - looks kewl but not easy to access.
Call me chicken...g

Is the trap under the sink metal or white plastic?

Metal.

Any word on temporary fix w/tape?

Aspasia

______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
om...

I have a very, very slow leak in the trap under bathroom sink.
(I think it got that way after I used a strong drain opener!)
I put a jar underneath to catch the drip but it's so ugly!

Is there a plumber's tape that will seal the leak
semi-permanently --
or at least till I can afford a plumber?

Tx

Aspasia

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you want a temporary fix, go to the plumbing section of HD, or the
local hdw store. They have epoxy based products made for this purpose.
Depending on where it's leaking, it may work.

Posted to alt.home.repair
BiffNightly

Try this stuff.....amazing!!! It has bailed me out many times.
http://www.tommytape.com/types.htm
It has even stopped leaks that are under pressure.

wrote in message

I have a very, very slow leak in the trap under bathroom sink.
(I think it got that way after I used a strong drain opener!)
I put a jar underneath to catch the drip but it's so ugly!

Is there a plumber's tape that will seal the leak semi-permanently --
or at least till I can afford a plumber?

Tx

Aspasia

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff

I would replace with plastic. Something you could try. Go to an automobile
parts store and get a can of stuff to seal a leaking radiator. Mix some of
it with boiling water in a container you will never use for cooking and
slowly pour down the drain, repeat if necessary It may work.

I didn't used to believe in this stuff until my car overheated on a trip. A
rock had nicked the radiator making a small leak. The guy at the gas
station said might as well try this stuff, and it worked. Sold the car
after putting another 50k miles on it with the same radiator.

wrote in message

I have a very, very slow leak in the trap under bathroom sink.
(I think it got that way after I used a strong drain opener!)
I put a jar underneath to catch the drip but it's so ugly!

Is there a plumber's tape that will seal the leak semi-permanently --
or at least till I can afford a plumber?

Tx

Aspasia

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff wrote:
I would replace with plastic. Something you could try. Go to an automobile
parts store and get a can of stuff to seal a leaking radiator. Mix some of
it with boiling water in a container you will never use for cooking and
slowly pour down the drain, repeat if necessary It may work.

I didn't used to believe in this stuff until my car overheated on a trip. A
rock had nicked the radiator making a small leak. The guy at the gas
station said might as well try this stuff, and it worked. Sold the car
after putting another 50k miles on it with the same radiator.

Same here. Tried it on a relatively new car where the fan had played
handball against the radiator with a bolt, and it sealed up all the
pinholes permanently through several radiator flushes until the car was
murdered by a truck. No negative effects on cooling, either.

Doesn't work on holes where there's some wiggling though, like where
the radiator tubes have rusted loose from the header tank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

i tried that radiator stop leak once, it fixed the leak but cloogged my
radiator and heater core.

700 bucks later vehicle was running ok again

I once used electric tape on a rusty trap, about that time my grandma
died, and I must of forgot about it.

9 years later I was surprised to find the tape, then rembered the
insanity of the funeral and leaky trap, so I could date the repair. I
must of used a entire roll of tape, and investigated.

All that was left of the trap was the tape, the metal was completely
gone