Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help, mathematically challenged

I'm trying to figure out how many gallons a tank will hold. I've tried
googling with no help. The tank is 28" x 18" x 16" and it's supposed to
hold 35 gallons. It just seems too small to me. In comparison I have a
tank that measures 13" x 12" x 18" and I'm sure it only holds around 12
gallons. Any help is appreciated.

tia, Roy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, March 31, 2013 9:18:57 AM UTC-7, RBM wrote:
I'm trying to figure out how many gallons a tank will hold. I've tried

googling with no help. The tank is 28" x 18" x 16" and it's supposed to

hold 35 gallons. It just seems too small to me. In comparison I have a

tank that measures 13" x 12" x 18" and I'm sure it only holds around 12

gallons. Any help is appreciated.

tia, Roy

If it's water it holds 34.9 gallons.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/31/13 12:18 PM, RBM wrote:
I'm trying to figure out how many gallons a tank will hold. I've tried
googling with no help. The tank is 28" x 18" x 16" and it's supposed
to hold 35 gallons. It just seems too small to me. In comparison I
have a tank that measures 13" x 12" x 18" and I'm sure it only holds
around 12 gallons. Any help is appreciated.

tia, Roy

35 gal is correct. 1 cu ft = 7.48 gallons

28x18x16 = 8064 cu in
8064 div by 1728 cu in per cu ft = 4.6 cu ft
4.6 cu ft x 7.48 gal/cu ft = 34.4 gal

13x12x18 = 2808
2808/1728 = 1.625
1.625 x 7.48 = 12.155 gal

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 12:18:57 -0400, RBM wrote:

I'm trying to figure out how many gallons a tank will hold. I've tried
googling with no help. The tank is 28" x 18" x 16" and it's supposed to
hold 35 gallons. It just seems too small to me. In comparison I have a
tank that measures 13" x 12" x 18" and I'm sure it only holds around 12
gallons. Any help is appreciated.

tia, Roy

This does all sort of tanks
http://www.greertank.com/tankcalc.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 9:18*am, RBM wrote:
I'm trying to figure out how many gallons a tank will hold. I've tried
googling with no help. The tank is 28" x 18" x 16" and it's supposed to
hold 35 gallons. It just seems too small to me. In comparison I have a
tank that measures 13" x 12" x 18" and I'm sure it only holds around 12
gallons. Any help is appreciated.

tia, Roy

RBM-

Both are correct...

~12.2 gallons & ~34.9 gallons

For reference the key for an easy calc is ...... 231 cubic inches per
gallon

12" x 13" x 18" = 2808 cbiuc inches

2808 cubic inches / 231 cubic inches per gallon = 12.2 gallons

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

RBM wrote in :

I'm trying to figure out how many gallons a tank will hold. I've tried
googling with no help. The tank is 28" x 18" x 16" and it's supposed to
hold 35 gallons. It just seems too small to me. In comparison I have a
tank that measures 13" x 12" x 18" and I'm sure it only holds around 12
gallons. Any help is appreciated.

tia, Roy

Someone might ask whether the decimal system is easier ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/31/2013 09:18 AM, RBM wrote:
I'm trying to figure out how many gallons a tank will hold. I've tried
googling with no help. The tank is 28" x 18" x 16" and it's supposed to
hold 35 gallons. It just seems too small to me. In comparison I have a
tank that measures 13" x 12" x 18" and I'm sure it only holds around 12
gallons. Any help is appreciated.

You can do math using the google search field; in your case, it would be
"x cubic inches to gallons", where "x" is the product of 28x18x6.

To put this all into one line, you could use the following syntax:

(28 * 18 * 6 ) cubic inches to gallons

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 3/31/2013 11:18 AM, RBM wrote:
I'm trying to figure out how many gallons a tank will hold. I've tried
googling with no help. The tank is 28" x 18" x 16" and it's supposed to
hold 35 gallons. It just seems too small to me. In comparison I have a
tank that measures 13" x 12" x 18" and I'm sure it only holds around 12
gallons. Any help is appreciated.

28/13 - ~2
18/12 - 1.5
16/18 - ~0.9

~2*1.5*~0.9 -- ~3-minus

12*3 ~= 35

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote in news:kja703$d6q$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

On 03/31/2013 09:18 AM, RBM wrote:
I'm trying to figure out how many gallons a tank will hold. I've tried
googling with no help. The tank is 28" x 18" x 16" and it's supposed to
hold 35 gallons. It just seems too small to me. In comparison I have a
tank that measures 13" x 12" x 18" and I'm sure it only holds around 12
gallons. Any help is appreciated.

First, the approximation:

The larger tank is about twice as long, and 1.5 times as wide, as the smaller one, while their
heights are about the same -- so one would expect that its capacity is about 2 x 1.5 = 3 times
that of the smaller tank. If the smaller one is around 12 gallons, you should expect the larger
one to be around 36, which matches well with the claimed size of 35.

Now the exact calculation:

28 x 18 x 16 = 8064 cubic inches. There are 12 x 12 x 12 = 1728 cubic inches in a cubic foot,
so 8064 cubic inches is 8064 / 1728 = 4.67 cubic feet.

One cubic foot is about 7.5 gallons, so 4.67 cubic feet = 35 gallons.

Your smaller tank is 13 x 12 x 18 = 2808 cubic inches = 1.625 cubic feet = 12.2 gallons.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 31 Mar 2013 19:15:08 GMT, Han wrote:

RBM wrote in :

I'm trying to figure out how many gallons a tank will hold. I've tried
googling with no help. The tank is 28" x 18" x 16" and it's supposed to
hold 35 gallons. It just seems too small to me. In comparison I have a
tank that measures 13" x 12" x 18" and I'm sure it only holds around 12
gallons. Any help is appreciated.

tia, Roy

Someone might ask whether the decimal system is easier ...

Decimal? The only arithmetic needed is decimal. I didn't use binary
once. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/31/2013 12:18 PM, RBM wrote:
I'm trying to figure out how many gallons a tank will hold. I've tried
googling with no help. The tank is 28" x 18" x 16" and it's supposed
to hold 35 gallons. It just seems too small to me. In comparison I
have a tank that measures 13" x 12" x 18" and I'm sure it only holds
around 12 gallons. Any help is appreciated.

tia, Roy

Thanks to everyone. I wish I wasn't so mathematically challenged, but I
sure am glad all you guys are out there.

Roy
Posted to alt.home.repair

What if it's methanol, or isobutyl alcohol?
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
wrote in message

If it's water it holds 34.9 gallons.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Take the dimensions in inches, multiply them.
Whatever the big number you get, divide by 231 (the number of cubic inches
in a gallon).

I did that, got 34.9 gal.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"RBM" wrote in message
I'm trying to figure out how many gallons a tank will hold. I've tried
googling with no help. The tank is 28" x 18" x 16" and it's supposed to
hold 35 gallons. It just seems too small to me. In comparison I have a
tank that measures 13" x 12" x 18" and I'm sure it only holds around 12
gallons. Any help is appreciated.

tia, Roy

Posted to alt.home.repair

Some kids learn it earlier, some learn liter in life.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Han" wrote in message

Someone might ask whether the decimal system is easier ...

--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 13:40:38 -0700, Jon Danniken
wrote:

On 03/31/2013 09:18 AM, RBM wrote:
I'm trying to figure out how many gallons a tank will hold. I've tried
googling with no help. The tank is 28" x 18" x 16" and it's supposed to
hold 35 gallons. It just seems too small to me. In comparison I have a
tank that measures 13" x 12" x 18" and I'm sure it only holds around 12
gallons. Any help is appreciated.

You can do math using the google search field; in your case, it would be
"x cubic inches to gallons", where "x" is the product of 28x18x6.

To put this all into one line, you could use the following syntax:

(28 * 18 * 6 ) cubic inches to gallons

Google is getting pretty slick. The URL is pretty long so just try
googling
3024 cubic inches in gallons

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/31/13 7:47 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Take the dimensions in inches, multiply them.
Whatever the big number you get, divide by 231 (the number of cubic inches
in a gallon).

That means my 1969 Plymouth had a 1.66 gallon engine. (383 cid)

I know modern engines produce a lot more horsepower for their
displacement and last longer. The sound of the old V8s with glass pack
mufflers is hard to beat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 20:13:33 -0500, Dean Hoffman
" wrote:

That means my 1969 Plymouth had a 1.66 gallon engine. (383 cid)

I know modern engines produce a lot more horsepower for their
displacement and last longer. The sound of the old V8s with glass pack
mufflers is hard to beat.

I have a 2.0 Turbo with 273 HP. Fast car, but it sounds like the
family sedan. Cars are just not what the used to be in that respect.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 3/31/2013 8:13 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 3/31/13 7:47 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Take the dimensions in inches, multiply them.
Whatever the big number you get, divide by 231 (the number of cubic
inches
in a gallon).

That means my 1969 Plymouth had a 1.66 gallon engine. (383 cid)

I know modern engines produce a lot more horsepower for their
displacement and last longer. The sound of the old V8s with glass pack
mufflers is hard to beat.

Had '69 Charger 383 w/ 4BBL Holley that iirc was 335 hp. *Dxxx* I wish I
had kept that puppy even when couldn't have gotten the kids and all the
stuff in it when small...but definitely couldn't afford two vehicles
back then.

The 426 hemi's were rated at 425 hp.

Warning-codger story coming...

Brother married daughter of local Dodge salesman -- this was when NASCAR
still made manufacturers sell 500 of the production model they ran on
the track. Dealers were mostly shipped on a random draw 'cuz they were
difficult to sell because weren't at all good on the highway and local
dealer was lucky that year ('68). Two years later still hadn't sold it
so made brother a "real deal" on it when got out of uni. It was a
disaster as a highway car--so hyped up you could barely keep it running
at an idle; would be doing 50/60 by got to next stoplight w/o even
trying, and got about 5-8 mpg of high test. If you recall, the gas
filler cap was on the top of left fender; on the highway production
vehicles like my '69 it was a 2" pipe that ran vertically down to the
left end of the tank only taking up a little trunk room. On the NASCAR
version, it was a 4" pipe at a 45-deg angle straight to the middle of
the tank leaving no room for anything of any size; not even a spare
tire. They didn't keep it...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/31/2013 8:36 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

When I was in college I remember seeing the remains of a Dodge Charger
Daytona, the one with the wing. It looked so sad and lonely there in the
wrecking yard. Some kid had flipped it on the interstate highway at a
speed in excess of 150mph. I loved the big engine brutes which got no
gas mileage to brag about but gasoline was 22 cents a gallon so I didn't
mind. Our family cars at the time had engine sizes like 383, 389, 425
and 430. Mom wound up with a Lincoln with a 460 V8. ^_^

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Charger_Daytona

TDD
Senior Member

I find I can't do without Master Converter, which is a shareware program you can download for free:

Savard Software - Master Converter

Ignoring the dialogue box in the following screen capture, you just enter the amount in one set of units on the left side of the screen, and the program will automatically give you the equivalent in other units on the right side of the screen. You can enter the units you have as either a number or a formula that the program will evaluate.

The program has 42 different catagories; everything from length to luminescence to kinematic viscosity to capacitance to data transfer rate.

When I go to the "volume" category of my version of Master Converter and punch in 28*16*18 and highlight "cubic inches" on the left side, it tells me the equivalent volume on the right side is:

34.9090909... US gallons
29.06789701... Canadian gallons
132145.2841 cubic centimeters
4468.363636... fluid ounces
8936.727272... US tablespoons
etc. etc. etc.

And, referring to the screen capture, there actually is a unit of length called the "twip", and it's 1/1440th of an inch.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twip

It's a handy little program to keep on your desktop, and I find myself using it all the time.

Last edited by nestork : April 1st 13 at 06:00 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 3/31/2013 8:36 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Yeah, we thought nothing of it then...the 4dr got when sold the Charger
was a Buick Electra 225 w/ the 455 iirc...

The Charger actually was pretty good on mileage--we bought it to spec
and put in a gear ratio to bring rpm down some at highway speed--took
away a little of the acceleration performance, of course, but it was
still plenty enough. For the time it was a great Interstate road
car--not squishy soft suspension but still reasonably quiet. At the
time we were in Lynchburg and traveling to far SW KS regularly where
both sets of grandparents were--about 1550 mi trip before I81 was
finished from Roanoke to Knoxville and I40 ended at Crab Orchard Mtn w
of Knoxville across the Cumberlands and then dumped you in downtown
Nashville. Another uncompleted stretch thru AR hill country from just
west of Little Rock to nearly Ft Smith...

The bummer was the lead plugs that sealed machine holes in the Holley
split-barrel carb would get soft after two long days on road and in the
morning when cold they leaked. Had to reseat them w/ a small hammer the
second morning before heading out again...

It also developed some nasty electrical problems w/ time...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/31/2013 11:38 AM, wrote:

If it's water it holds 34.9 gallons.

Note that 1 gallon of gasoline is equal to 1.15 gallons of water :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 01 Apr 2013 12:40:32 -0500, hah wrote:

On 03/31/2013 11:38 AM, wrote:

If it's water it holds 34.9 gallons.

Note that 1 gallon of gasoline is equal to 1.15 gallons of water :-)

Around here, one gallon of gas is .9 gallons of gasoline and .1
gallons of alcohol.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/9/2013 7:15 AM, Attila Iskander wrote:
"MLD" wrote in message ...

"hah" wrote in message
On 03/31/2013 11:38 AM, wrote:

If it's water it holds 34.9 gallons.

Note that 1 gallon of gasoline is equal to 1.15 gallons of water :-)

A gallon is a gallon is a gallon no matter what you put into it.. Now
if you're taking about volume or weight, that's a different story.

And here I thought a gallon was a measure of volume...

Depends on the date on which you state the equivalency.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help, mathematically challenged Water relater

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

On 03/31/2013 11:38 AM, wrote:

If it's water it holds 34.9 gallons.

Note that 1 gallon of gasoline is equal to 1.15 gallons of water :-)

Around here, one gallon of gas is .9 gallons of gasoline and .1
gallons of alcohol.

What percentage is the water absorbed by the the
ethanol?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 5:38*pm, wrote:
On Sunday, March 31, 2013 9:18:57 AM UTC-7, RBM wrote:
I'm trying to figure out how many gallons a tank will hold. I've tried

googling with no help. The tank is 28" x 18" x 16" and it's supposed to

hold 35 gallons. It just seems too small to me. In comparison I have a

tank that measures 13" x 12" x 18" and I'm sure it only holds around 12

gallons. Any help is appreciated.

tia, Roy

If it's water it holds 34.9 gallons.

If it's anything it's 35 (US) gallons.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 8:15*pm, Han wrote:
RBM wrote :

I'm trying to figure out how many gallons a tank will hold. I've tried
googling with no help. The tank is 28" x 18" x 16" and it's supposed to
hold 35 gallons. It just seems too small to me. In comparison I have a
tank that measures 13" x 12" x 18" and I'm sure it only holds around 12
gallons. Any help is appreciated.

tia, Roy

Someone might ask whether the decimal system is easier

This is America where nothing changes.

One cubic meter of water = 1000 litres = one metric ton =1000Kg

I'm surprised no-one though to change it to "cups"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 3 May 2013 23:29:59 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Mar 31, 5:38*pm, wrote:
On Sunday, March 31, 2013 9:18:57 AM UTC-7, RBM wrote:
I'm trying to figure out how many gallons a tank will hold. I've tried

googling with no help. The tank is 28" x 18" x 16" and it's supposed to

hold 35 gallons. It just seems too small to me. In comparison I have a

tank that measures 13" x 12" x 18" and I'm sure it only holds around 12

gallons. Any help is appreciated.

tia, Roy

If it's water it holds 34.9 gallons.

If it's anything it's 35 (US) gallons.

It took you a month to round 34.9 to 35?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 2, 9:21*am, "MLD" wrote:
"hah" wrote in message

... On 03/31/2013 11:38 AM, wrote:

If it's water it holds 34.9 gallons.

Note that 1 gallon of gasoline is equal to 1.15 gallons of water :-)

A gallon is a gallon is a gallon no matter what you put into it.. *Now if
you're taking about volume or weight, that's a different story.
MLD

But then how much volume of salt can you add to a gallon of water and
still have only a gallong?

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"Harry K" wrote in message
On Apr 2, 9:21 am, "MLD" wrote:
"hah" wrote in message

... On 03/31/2013 11:38 AM,
wrote:

If it's water it holds 34.9 gallons.

Note that 1 gallon of gasoline is equal to 1.15 gallons of water :-)

A gallon is a gallon is a gallon no matter what you put into it.. Now if
you're taking about volume or weight, that's a different story.
MLD

But then how much volume of salt can you add to a gallon of water and
still have only a gallong?

Harry K

You obviously have a problem grasping the concept of volume, weight etc. It
might help you if you can answer this question:

Why is it that a pound of feathers (in a bag) will float in water but a
pound of cement will sink to the bottom?
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cement is heavier. You'd have to be dense to miss that.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"MLD" wrote in message ...

Why is it that a pound of feathers (in a bag) will float in water but a
pound of cement will sink to the bottom?
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/4/2013 12:38 PM, MLD wrote:
Why is it that a pound of feathers (in a bag) will float in water but a
pound of cement will sink to the bottom?
MLD

Because the pound of feathers is attached to a duck...and everyone knows
ducks float?
Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

If I believe you---a pound of cement is heavier than a pound of feathers!!!!
Are you really that dumb?

"MLD" wrote in message ...

Why is it that a pound of feathers (in a bag) will float in water but a
pound of cement will sink to the bottom?
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"Fritz" wrote in message
On 5/4/2013 12:38 PM, MLD wrote:
Why is it that a pound of feathers (in a bag) will float in water but a
pound of cement will sink to the bottom?
MLD

Because the pound of feathers is attached to a duck...and everyone knows
ducks float?

Hm-m-m, a duck in a bag?? How about all the feathers (in a bag) after they
have been removed from the duck??
MLD