Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default SMPS: I'm Topologically Challenged

Hi,

I'm in need of a pointer to a couple of representative circuits so
that I can get my brain around the particular configuration used in
the SMPS I'm working on. It is a Boschert OEM type (XL131-3604E, HP
0950-1879) used in an HP54502 DSO. Before I accidentally blew the
switching transistor, it would only work in bursts causing the several
output series regulators to deliver less than perfect DC with
negative-going saw tooth waveforms on top. The unit has worked in the
past but, before this happened, the mother board would now and then
reset perhaps due to dirty DC.

The switching circuit consists of a single TIPL755A power transistor,
two transformers, a CNY21N opto-isolator (fed from the +5V line), a
2N2647 unijunction transistor and one each of PN2222A and TIP41C
transistors as well as the usual collection of diodes, resistors and
capacitors. My difficulty is that this topology is unfamiliar to me
and I cannot easily see how a single unijunction oscillator with the
help of two other transistors could form a PWM. I would have expected
at least a flip-flop but this circuit is all discrete.

Currently I'm taking the easy way out and am checking everything, as
far as I can, and replacing all the semiconductors on the input side
of the PSU; the multiple output regulator circuits being a nightmare,
I'm hoping the fault isn't in there. I've tried hard to find the
schematic for this unit but don't now ever expect to do so; the HP
'so-called' service manual does not contain any useful information.

BTW, I've read Sam's repair FAQ and 'googled' away for ages.

TIA - Joe G3LLV
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Joe McElvenney wrote in message
[...]

When I was faced with a confusing discrete build SMPS a year ago, I found a
book in the public library, old enough stock to be helpful.
Had "switch mode" or "switched mode" power supplies in the title.
IIRC it was that major USA publisher of electonic titles, the name escapes
me at the moment.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 14:34:43 +0000, Joe McElvenney
put finger to keyboard and composed:

[...]

See ON Semiconductor's SWITCHMODE Power Supply Reference Manual:
http://www.freeradio.org/documents/S...wer_Supply.pdf

It discusses various SMPS topologies including buck, boost,
buck-boost, push-pull, half-bridge, full-bridge, half-forward.

It includes many circuit examples.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 14:34:43 +0000, Joe McElvenney
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I'm in need of a pointer to a couple of representative circuits so
that I can get my brain around the particular configuration used in
the SMPS I'm working on.

The service manual for this TV chassis has an in-depth discussion of
how its SMPS works:
http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download...CA_CTC203.html

The SMPS consists of discrete transistors and an optocoupler for
feedback. Regulation is achieved by monitoring the current in the
primary winding and turning off the chopper when the current rises to
a level determined by the feedback voltage from the optocoupler.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Joe McElvenney wrote:
Currently I'm taking the easy way out and am checking everything, as
far as I can, and replacing all the semiconductors on the input side
of the PSU; the multiple output regulator circuits being a nightmare,
I'm hoping the fault isn't in there. I've tried hard to find the
schematic for this unit but don't now ever expect to do so; the HP
'so-called' service manual does not contain any useful information.

IMHO the most common failures are some of the electrolytics at the front
end, so if you have an ESR meter check these first. Then any Schottky
diodes. Then the opto-isolator.

--
*In some places, C:\ is the root of all directories *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi,

To those who replied to my 'cri de coeur' - many thanks.

Franc - for the pointers to the book and the TV schematic which
appears to use a complementary pair to simulate a unijunction
transistor and so should be of great help.

"Diverse Devices" - for a very informative web site and the public
library suggestion.

Dave - for your comments on the main electrolytics.

All have been taken on board and will be made use of. I am currently
awaiting a couple of spare TIPL755A transistors from the States and
expect to be on the job in the New Year.

Happy Christmas - Joe