Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Weed Eater cord feed problem

I have an electric Weed Eater EL-15TNE trimmer unit that has cord feed
problems. It's supposed to feed new cord by shutting off motor and
restarting, several times if necessary. This often doesn't work and I have
to pull out cord manually, sometimes requiring opening up the spool. I'm
using the recommended WE 0.065" cord.

Any suggextions? This is very annoying.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/30/2013 9:33 AM, KenK wrote:
I have an electric Weed Eater EL-15TNE trimmer unit that has cord feed
problems. It's supposed to feed new cord by shutting off motor and
restarting, several times if necessary. This often doesn't work and I have
to pull out cord manually, sometimes requiring opening up the spool. I'm
using the recommended WE 0.065" cord.

Any suggextions? This is very annoying.

If you would like a weed eater that actually works, visit your local
Stihl dealer.

Yes, Stihls cost more but they actually work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote in
b.com:

On 3/30/2013 9:33 AM, KenK wrote:
I have an electric Weed Eater EL-15TNE trimmer unit that has cord
feed problems. It's supposed to feed new cord by shutting off motor
and restarting, several times if necessary. This often doesn't work
and I have to pull out cord manually, sometimes requiring opening up
the spool. I'm using the recommended WE 0.065" cord.

Any suggextions? This is very annoying.

If you would like a weed eater that actually works, visit your local
Stihl dealer.

Hard to find dealer. Their web site is reluctant to produce a list.

Yes, Stihls cost more but they actually work.

Unfortunately, too late now. I already own the Weed Eater.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/30/2013 11:26 AM, KenK wrote:
Frank wrote in
b.com:

On 3/30/2013 9:33 AM, KenK wrote:
I have an electric Weed Eater EL-15TNE trimmer unit that has cord
feed problems. It's supposed to feed new cord by shutting off motor
and restarting, several times if necessary. This often doesn't work
and I have to pull out cord manually, sometimes requiring opening up
the spool. I'm using the recommended WE 0.065" cord.

Any suggextions? This is very annoying.

If you would like a weed eater that actually works, visit your local
Stihl dealer.

Hard to find dealer. Their web site is reluctant to produce a list.

Yes, Stihls cost more but they actually work.

Unfortunately, too late now. I already own the Weed Eater.

The new Black and Decker auto feeds actually work quite well. I was
really surprised because swore I'd never buy another B&D weed trimmer
again. I bought a new one about 2 years ago because the factory rep was
at HD and he said if I didn't like it to bring it back. He was right.

Other than that, I think the one's you manually replace the cord are
easier to use once you learn how to keep from wearing them out real fast.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/30/2013 9:33 AM, KenK wrote:
I have an electric Weed Eater EL-15TNE trimmer unit that has cord feed
problems. It's supposed to feed new cord by shutting off motor and
restarting, several times if necessary. This often doesn't work and I have
to pull out cord manually, sometimes requiring opening up the spool. I'm
using the recommended WE 0.065" cord.

Any suggextions? This is very annoying.

TIA

I've got a different model Weed Eater but cord is fed by bumping head.
I've never heard of a feed as you mention.
I've also got a Troy Bilt gas model bump fed and problems with both may
be spool getting tightened up and twisted so they sometimes require
pulling out by hand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/30/2013 06:33 AM, KenK wrote:
I have an electric Weed Eater EL-15TNE trimmer unit that has cord feed
problems. It's supposed to feed new cord by shutting off motor and
restarting, several times if necessary. This often doesn't work and I have
to pull out cord manually, sometimes requiring opening up the spool. I'm
using the recommended WE 0.065" cord.

Any suggextions? This is very annoying.

If it's any comfort to you, I have a manual head on my Shindaiwa, which
means I have to manually loosen the head fastener and pull out the cable
manually. Sometimes it cuts off at the grommet, and I have to
disassemble the head to get at the cable.

I kept telling myself I would get bump head, but I've gotten good enough
at the manual head that I don't tell myself that much anymore.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/30/2013 12:41 PM, gonjah wrote:
On 3/30/2013 11:26 AM, KenK wrote:

The new Black and Decker auto feeds actually work quite well. I was
really surprised because swore I'd never buy another B&D weed trimmer
again. I bought a new one about 2 years ago because the factory rep was
at HD and he said if I didn't like it to bring it back. He was right.

Other than that, I think the one's you manually replace the cord are
easier to use once you learn how to keep from wearing them out real fast.

I wish I never bought the Black and Decker automactic feeder. I find
they are far to sensitive and are always over feeding and I end up
having to buy overpriced spools to replace the empty ones.

I have both a 18 volt cordless and a 120 V electric model.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/30/2013 5:30 PM, Hench wrote:
On 3/30/2013 12:41 PM, gonjah wrote:
On 3/30/2013 11:26 AM, KenK wrote:

The new Black and Decker auto feeds actually work quite well. I was
really surprised because swore I'd never buy another B&D weed trimmer
again. I bought a new one about 2 years ago because the factory rep was
at HD and he said if I didn't like it to bring it back. He was right.

Other than that, I think the one's you manually replace the cord are
easier to use once you learn how to keep from wearing them out real fast.

I wish I never bought the Black and Decker automactic feeder. I find
they are far to sensitive and are always over feeding and I end up
having to buy overpriced spools to replace the empty ones.

I have both a 18 volt cordless and a 120 V electric model.

I've got the 18 v. I might have been lucky or it just doesn't have
enough use yet. I'd say it took me about 1 and a half seasons to go
through about 3 spools and I do a lot of sidewalk and driveway trimming.
I'm real careful to aim the cord AWAY from the cement. I'd be interested
if others are having bad results with newer B&D trimmers. 2 or less
years old.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 30, 2013 9:33:54 AM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
I have an electric Weed Eater EL-15TNE trimmer unit that has cord feed problems. It's supposed to feed new cord by shutting off motor and restarting, several times if necessary. This often doesn't work and I have to pull out cord manually, sometimes requiring opening up the spool. I'm using the recommended WE 0.065" cord. Any suggextions? This is very annoying. TIA -- "Where there's smoke there's toast!" Anon

I've spent more time over the years untangling and reloading cord than actually cutting with the darn things. I replaced the cord spool head with the polycut head a few years ago and have been much more productive ever since.

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/tri...lades/polycut/

Paul

Gas weed eater Steve B[_13_] Home Repair 6 September 7th 12 07:12 AM
Weed eater won't go fast Jimmy Home Repair 3 July 7th 08 03:32 PM
stihl weed eater newman Home Repair 4 May 7th 07 12:59 PM
Weed eater string Perry Templeton Home Repair 2 June 24th 05 03:27 AM
weed eater blower help Ron Vander Home Repair 6 April 16th 05 06:11 PM