Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Any meaningful difference between washing soda and soda ash?

Hi all,

Had occasion to set up my electrolytic deruster again today (commonly
known as a benchtop 12V power supply, a big Rubbermaid tote, and an old
piece of sprinkler pipe bodged together with some wire and alligator
clips) and I noticed that I'd apparently used it enough that my supply
of washing soda was getting low. I don't remember where I purchased it
last time but I don't remember it being unusually hard to find. Well,
after hitting two grocery stores and several chain hardware stores, I
was starting to get a bad feeling. Arm and Hammer's web site was
useless as they don't show any local retailers to me and their "contact
us" form doesn't seem to actually work.

So I stopped by a local pool service place and the guy was happy to sell
me a quantity of soda ash but I'd have to bring my own container as they
only stock it in large bags (although depending on price I'd be happy to
buy one of those as well.)

Question is, I know that they are both ostensibly sodium carbonate. Is
there any meaningful difference in washing soda intended for use as a
detergent ingredient (in case I'd want to use it for same) and soda ash
used as a pH balancer for swimming pools, e.g. additives, allowable
levels of impurities, other? Or is it really just two different names
for the same thing?

I'm definitely going back to the pool supply but wondering if I should
get a small container or just grab a 5 gal. bucket and get a lifetime
(or at least a decade's worth) supply.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/2013 4:45 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

They should be the same but purities may be different. Sodium carbonate
is a cheap chemical. In ton quantities it costs about 10 cents a pound.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

Question is, I know that they are both ostensibly sodium carbonate. Is
there any meaningful difference in washing soda intended for use as a
detergent ingredient (in case I'd want to use it for same) and soda ash
used as a pH balancer for swimming pools, e.g. additives, allowable
levels of impurities, other? Or is it really just two different names
for the same thing?

Sodium carbonate Na2CO3 is known as soda ash or washing soda, so in that
sense it is two different names for the same thing.

But...

Sodium carbonate is not what I use in my pool to adjust total
alkalinity. I do that with sodium bicarbonate or baking soda which is
NaHCO3.

The washing soda is a classical water softener. However, some people
use baking soda as an adjunct to washing.

My swimming pool supply place sells baking soda in 50# bags, but I get a
better price and a more convenient packaging by buying Arm & Hammer at
Costco in 13.5 lb. bags.

I have never purchased soda ash/ washing soda/ sodium carbonate in any
quantity for any purpose.

--
Mike Easter
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 28, 9:03*pm, Mike Easter wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
Question is, I know that they are both ostensibly sodium carbonate. *Is
there any meaningful difference in washing soda intended for use as a
detergent ingredient (in case I'd want to use it for same) and soda ash
used as a pH balancer for swimming pools, e.g. additives, allowable
levels of impurities, other? *Or is it really just two different names
for the same thing?

Sodium carbonate Na2CO3 is known as soda ash or washing soda, so in that
sense it is two different names for the same thing.

But...

Sodium carbonate is not what I use in my pool to adjust total
alkalinity. *I do that with sodium bicarbonate or baking soda which is
NaHCO3.

He didn't say sodium carbonate was used to adjust total
alkalinity in a pool. He said it's used to adjust PH, which
is 100% true.

The washing soda is a classical water softener. *However, some people
use baking soda as an adjunct to washing.

My swimming pool supply place sells baking soda in 50# bags, but I get a
better price and a more convenient packaging by buying Arm & Hammer at
Costco in 13.5 lb. bags.

I have never purchased soda ash/ washing soda/ sodium carbonate in any
quantity for any purpose.

--
Mike Easter

Then you aren't following standard pool practices. Just look at any
of the containers of PH decreaser in a pool store. They are all
sodium carbonate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/28/13 04:45 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

IIRC, soda ash might be anhydrous, whereas washing soda is likely to be
a crystalline form containing a lot of water. You might be able to
compare their relative efficiency if both have detailed specs. on the
packages.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I used soda ash from pool suppliers for dyeing fabric. The dye seller
advised buying from pool supplier to save shipping, although the dye
seller also sold it. I think "washing soda" is just a popular name for
the same stuff. IIRC, I purchased it in 5# buckets.