Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are my ducts noisy because of heat or too much air?

I posted before about my noisy ducts -- crash, bang, pow, all night.
I'm about to call a home improvement guy and have him remove the dry
wall on the ceiling, replace or tighten the duct, then repair the dry
wall. I don't think it will be a big job, but someone told me that
the problem might be too much air going through the ducts because of
the new more powerful furnace (two stage, variable speed, 95K BTU).
Can someone advise me on this?

I think it is the heat because: 1) It happens at only two ducts, 2) I
get a noise when it cools down and sometimes long after it cools down.

More importantly, I got the furnace from a VERY reputable firm, and I
don't think they would make a mistake like that, and I got two other
quotes from other reputable firms, all of whom were ready to sell the
same furnace. Surely, they couldn't all make the same mistake.

So, any advice?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 2:51*pm, Dom wrote:
[...]

call the company that installed your new furnace and tell them of the
issues, there may be a simple solution...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 3:45*pm, bob haller wrote:
On Mar 25, 2:51*pm, Dom wrote:

[...]

Oh, i did that long ago. They say it is just oil-canning, and not
their problem. But what they don't know is that in cold weather it is
intolerable. And whether it is oil-canning or not, I want it fixed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 2:51 pm, Dom wrote:

[...]

if it's oilcanning, it could be caused by simply expansion and
contraction. tightening them could even make it worse. you want a bit of
looseness to allow the expansion to not force the ducts to bend.
however, that makes them leak air, which also isn't good.

you'd need to go to flex ducts to get rid of all the noise i would expect.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Dom" wrote in message
[...]

Where are you located, a 95,000 BTU input gas furnace is huge unless your
house has no insulation, is also huge, or way up north. I have a large house
in Canada, and my furnace is 2/3 the size of yours.

You may have too much pressure, but also why is your furnace going into the
second stage all the time, this is normally used when it is very cold
outside and stage one cannot keep up.

With the blower on full and the heat on second stage, your old air ducts may
not be able to handle the extremes and be oil-canning. How old are your
ducts, old ones were made of heavier metal, and should be able to handle the
new equipment. You don't want a "handyman" messing with your ducts, he may
be good to drop the drywall but get a good sheet metal duct installer to
fix/replace your problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 2:51 pm, Dom wrote:

[...]

Good point. I'll be sure to tell the home improvement guy about the
flexible ducts. Do you think I'm safe in saying it is not just the
amount of air flow?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 2:51 pm, Dom wrote:

[...]

that would be pretty far down on my list of possibilities. you'd have to
have one heck of a blower to bend the metal. the major cause of this is
heat/cool cycles causing metal expansion and flexing.

flex ducts aren't as efficient as smooth metal ducts (they're rougher
inside), so you'll get lower velocities i would expect.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/25/2013 12:52 PM, Dom wrote:

. . . . Do you think I'm safe in saying it is not just the
amount of air flow?

that would be pretty far down on my list of possibilities. you'd have
to have one heck of a blower to bend the metal. the major cause of
this is heat/cool cycles causing metal expansion and flexing.

I agree.

To the OP (Dom), how closely are you able to pinpoint where the popping
sounds are coming from? Are you able to tell which duct, what part of the
duct, etc. And, if so, is that duct accessible or maybe right behind a
certain section of sheetrock? If so, I wonder if you could just cut a small
hole in the sheetrock where the noise is located, then put something in
between the sheetrock and the duct to see if that fixes or changes the noise
problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/25/2013 11:51 AM, Dom wrote:
[...]

Can you gain access to either of the two ducts? If so, see if they have
the crease that goes from one corner of the duct to the opposite corner.
These are there to strengthen the sheet metal and prevent what you are
hearing.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 2:51 pm, Dom wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info. You really put my ind at ease. I had heard
that flex ducts weren't efficient, but it is only one or two ducts
that I want changed, so I think I'll go with the flex ducts less the
home improvement guy recommends otherwise.

One more question. Do you think it is a good idea to go through a
home improvement guy? I assume he build additions, so he must have
good subcontractors for duct work. Good idea?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/25/2013 12:52 PM, Dom wrote:
. . . . *Do you think I'm safe in saying it is not just the
amount of air flow?

that would be pretty far down on my list of possibilities. you'd have
to have one heck of a blower to bend the metal. the major cause of
this is heat/cool cycles causing metal expansion and flexing.

I agree.

To the OP (Dom), how closely are you able to pinpoint where the popping
sounds are coming from? *Are you able to tell which duct, what part of the
duct, etc. *And, if so, is that duct accessible or maybe right behind a
certain section of sheetrock? *If so, I wonder if you could just cut a small
hole in the sheetrock where the noise is located, then put something in
between the sheetrock and the duct to see if that fixes or changes the noise
problem.

Yes, I can tell the duct and, unless there is a loud echo, I can tell
the part of the duct. It is within a foot or so of the vent. In fact
I took real heavy tape, and just taped the sides of the duct to the
"boot" that ends in the vent. I did that on all four sides, and most
of the noise ended. I'd still replace the last part of the duct just
to get rid of the last remaining boom!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 5:38*pm, Paul Drahn wrote:

[...]

I can't acces it except through the vent. I need to remove the sheet
rock, and I'd rather go through a home improvement guy for that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 4:49*pm, "EXT" wrote:
"Dom" wrote in message

[...]

95,000 isn't so huge.. They make them up to 120K, which is what I
have here in NJ in a 3100 sq ft house.
The one it replaced was 150K. A 100K would be OK
too, but 120 warms the house up faster if you have it
set back and come home early, which is nice.

You may have too much pressure, but also why is your furnace going into the
second stage all the time, this is normally used when it is very cold
outside and stage one cannot keep up.

Did he say it's going to 2nd stage all the time? Typically
most two stage are going to go to 2nd stage if it's recovering
or you move the themostat higher. If it's just maintaining,
then first stage is usually enough.

With the blower on full and the heat on second stage, your old air ducts may
not be able to handle the extremes and be oil-canning.

Even on full, the blower in heat mode is moving only
about 60% of the air that the same blower would
move in AC. I asked if he had AC and what happens with
that on or just fan only weeks ago, but I don't think it
was answered. That would go a long way toward figuring
out if it;s a temp expansion noise or the duct flexing from
air pressure.

How old are your
ducts, old ones were made of heavier metal, and should be able to handle the
new equipment.

A new furnace isn't putting any unusual demands on the
ducts. The air moved is about the same as a 30 year old
furnace.

You don't want a "handyman" messing with your ducts, he may
be good to drop the drywall but get a good sheet metal duct installer to
fix/replace your problem.- Hide quoted text -

I'd say if you can see it flex and figure out where to brace
it so it doesn't move, no reason anyone can't do it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/25/2013 11:51 AM, Dom wrote:

[...]

rock, and I'd rather go through a home improvement guy for that.- Hide quoted text -

Just make sure you have everything in writing, including the
cost and don't get hosed by a home improvement guy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/25/2013 11:51 AM, Dom wrote:

[...]

Trader4, thanks for the info. You actually remembered me from my last
post? Wow. You're right on a few points -- no, 95k is not too large
at all, others around here (I'm in central jersey) have more, but I
did some research and I figured for my size home anything larger would
cycle too frequently. And no, I did not say I go into second stage.
Usually it is only the first stage, and I have it set so it stays
there for 12 (max) minutes.

I never did the fan only test because my thermostat does not have that
setting. Don't know why. I'm going to assume it is temp, and not air
pressure, because, like I said, the hvac company is very reputable,
and three other reputable companies tried to sell the same system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 6:23*pm, Dom wrote:

On 3/25/2013 11:51 AM, Dom wrote:

[...]

Why did I say central jersey? I'm in south jersey.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 6:23*pm, Dom wrote:

On 3/25/2013 11:51 AM, Dom wrote:

[...]

That's where I am too. As I said, one advantage to being
a little bigger is that you can heat the house up faster.
I can go up about 6 deg an hour. That way if you don't
always come home at the same time, you can have it
set back and recover faster.

have more, but I
did some research and I figured for my size home anything larger would
cycle too frequently. *And no, I did not say I go into second stage.
Usually it is only the first stage, and I have it set so it stays
there for 12 (max) minutes.

Where is that set? Sounds like at the furnace and you
don't have a two stage thermostat? Ideally the thermostat
should make the selection because it knows what the
temp is and where it needs to go.

I never did the fan only test because my thermostat does not have that
setting. *Don't know why.

Well, it must be an odd thermostat, because every one
I've ever seen had it. What about AC? What does it do
with AC on, or haven't you had a day where you could
try it? On heat the blower should move around 900 -1200
cfm. On fan only typical would be maybe 1400. On AC, 1800-2000.

*I'm going to assume it is temp, and not air
pressure, because, like I said, the hvac company is very reputable,
and three other reputable companies tried to sell the same system.- Hide quoted text -

I don't see how the reputation of the HVAC company is
a factor. The blowers are what the blowers are. It's not
like Rheem is 2000 cfm and Trane is 800. For the same
size furnace they are about the same. And going from say
a 75K furnace to 110K, doesn't change it all that much
either. It is possible that they moved something slightly,
or didn't put screws, hangers back where they should
be. But I assume the noise isn't near the furnace, right?

You should have a pretty good idea if it's temp or air pressure. You
can hear the blower ramp up. If the noise occurs in the first 30 secs
or so, it;s likely air pressure,
because it's going to take longer than that to heat it
up. Also, the bangs I've heard from air pressure occur
both when it starts up and when it shuts off. Does it
bang right when the blower stops?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 2:51 pm, Dom wrote:

[...]

I don't think that is a good idea.
If this is a rectangular duct, then flexible ducts will restrict the air
flow... Sounds like you need the insulated duct that I have. It is not
metal, and it also keeps the heat in the duct. Mine are fiber insulated
with metalic foil. They are very easy to make and I am sure any
reputable HVAC firm will be glad to do it, if you are opening the wall
or cieling.

--
Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 7:04*pm, "
wrote:
On Mar 25, 6:23*pm, Dom wrote:

On 3/25/2013 11:51 AM, Dom wrote:

[...]

Lots of good points, trader4. Btw, I'm from around cherry hill. Now,
your points.

The time between the first and second stage is set at the dip switches
in the furnace, not the thermostat.
I do have a setting for fan only, but nothing turns on when I set it.
Time to read the manual, I guess.
I didn't start the AC yet, too cold for that.
I assumed a good hvac company would not sell me something if they knew
the ducts couldn't handle it.
No, the noise is not at the furnace, it is at one of the ducts that is
farthest from the furnace, and another that is about half that
distance from the furnace. No noise at the closest ducts. I assume
pressure would get those first.
The first bang is well after the start of the ramp up. And I get
several bangs long after it stops, never immediately after it stops.
Remember too that I was able to get rid of the start up bangs by using
heavy duty tape to hold the duct open so to speak.

Thanks for all your help, btw.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 7:47*pm, Dom wrote:
On Mar 25, 7:04*pm, "
wrote:

On Mar 25, 6:23*pm, Dom wrote:

On 3/25/2013 11:51 AM, Dom wrote:

[...]

Trader4, I just figured out how to get fan only, and after 5 minutes,
no noise. So I guess that clinches it, it's temp and not noise, and I
can fix it by getting at least the last foot or so of the duct
replaced or strengthened. My confusion on this temp vs pressure issue
started because I have the setting at 71/69, and that seems too low to
cause the duct to expand and make the REALLY POWERFUL BANG. But then,
when I hold my hand to the vent, the air pressure seems pretty low
too.

Thanks for everything. I really hope the home improvement guy gets
this fixed. I'm going nuts from this noise.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 7:47*pm, Dom wrote:
On Mar 25, 7:04*pm, "
wrote:

On Mar 25, 6:23*pm, Dom wrote:

On 3/25/2013 11:51 AM, Dom wrote:

[...]

The preferred way is to have a two stage thermostat
that makes the selection. In some cases, it may be too difficult
to do it that way because it takes one more
wire from furnace to thermostat. If an extra wire isn't
there and it's not easy to run, then you use the fallback
mode of letting the furnace do it.

The advantage is the thermostat knows that if it's
60 and we're going to 70, then we want 2nd stage
right away. Conversely, if it's been running for 11
minutes and it's only .5 deg to go, no sense in going
to 2nd stage.

I do have a setting for fan only, but nothing turns on when I set it.

Odd, maybe it's not connected.

Time to read the manual, I guess.
I didn't start the AC yet, too cold for that.
I assumed a good hvac company would not sell me something if they knew
the ducts couldn't handle it.
No, the noise is not at the furnace, it is at one of the ducts that is
farthest from the furnace, and another that is about half that
distance from the furnace. *No noise at the closest ducts. *I assume
pressure would get those first.
The first bang is well after the start of the ramp up. *And I get
several bangs long after it stops, never immediately after it stops.
Remember too that I was able to get rid of the start up bangs by using
heavy duty tape to hold the duct open so to speak.

Thanks for all your help, btw.- Hide quoted text -

Your welcome and good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 8:06*pm, Dom wrote:
On Mar 25, 7:47*pm, Dom wrote:

On Mar 25, 7:04*pm, "
wrote:

On Mar 25, 6:23*pm, Dom wrote:

On 3/25/2013 11:51 AM, Dom wrote:

[...]

But the temp in that duct is swinging from 70 to 110 or so, which
is plenty to cause enough expansion/contraction. If it runs through
any colder areas, it could be even more swing.

*But then,
when I *hold my hand to the vent, the air pressure seems pretty low
too.

Thanks for everything. *I really hope the home improvement guy gets
this fixed. *I'm going nuts from this noise.- Hide quoted text -

It should be easy to fix once you have the wall opened up. It sucks
though that you have to do that. Here's a thought. You might want to
do the opening up part yourself. If you do it, you could open one or
two smaller openings where you think the problem is. If you can
see it, you might be able to figure out how to shove something in
to support it, etc without tearing out a whole wall or ceiling worth
of drywall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 8:28*pm, "
wrote:
On Mar 25, 8:06*pm, Dom wrote:

On Mar 25, 7:47*pm, Dom wrote:

On Mar 25, 7:04*pm, "
wrote:

On Mar 25, 6:23*pm, Dom wrote:

On 3/25/2013 11:51 AM, Dom wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 8:36*pm, Dom wrote:
On Mar 25, 8:28*pm, "
wrote:

On Mar 25, 8:06*pm, Dom wrote:

On Mar 25, 7:47*pm, Dom wrote:

On Mar 25, 7:04*pm, "
wrote:

On Mar 25, 6:23*pm, Dom wrote:

On 3/25/2013 11:51 AM, Dom wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
On Mar 25, 2:51 pm, Dom wrote:
[...]

Hi,
In the mean time try to run the air handler at lower speed if you can
run the air handler at lpower speed and see what happens. Sounds like
duct balance is off between exhaust and return side.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 8:52*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
bob haller wrote:
On Mar 25, 2:51 pm, Dom wrote:
[...]

Hmmmm. Interesting. I have the fan at the lowest possible speed
now. I'd didn't think about the balance, but then again, it's only
happening at one duct.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
On Mar 25, 2:51 pm, Dom wrote:
[...]

Of course, heat can make the duct work somewhat expand and shrink every
time heating cycle comes. When air flow is not balanced the pressure
build up can make big banging sound when it is coming on or going off.
Also it can happen with filter's resistance to air flow, etc.
If you did not have the problem before new furnace.......

Posted to alt.home.repair

If it is a balance problem, would the noise show up at a duct or at the furnace? And how would I go about fixing it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dom wrote:
If it is a balance problem, would the noise show up at a duct or at the furnace? And how would I go about fixing it?

Hi,
They have to measure air volume in CFM and blower speed setting, etc.
For quick check, you can remove filter for one night to see what
happens. better or worse....
My BIL is a commercial HVAC design engineer who helped our system when
house was built with high efficiency furnace and high SEER a/c both two
stage units. Runs very well on wireless thermostat w/o the bother of wiring.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/25/2013 3:23 PM, Dom wrote:
On Mar 25, 6:10 pm,
wrote:
On Mar 25, 5:46 pm, wrote:

On Mar 25, 5:38 pm, Paul wrote:

On 3/25/2013 11:51 AM, Dom wrote:

[...]

In that case, there must be a separate thermostat for the fan control. I
had an oil furnace, once, with a separate thermostat and it has a little
knob in the middle that would turn on the fan.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 12:52:26 -0700 (PDT), Dom
wrote:

call the company that installed your new furnace and tell them of the
issues, there may be a simple solution...

Oh, i did that long ago. They say it is just oil-canning, and not
their problem. But what they don't know is that in cold weather it is
intolerable. And whether it is oil-canning or not, I want it fixed.

Oil canning is most likely the cause, a very common problem with hot
air heat. If the furnace guy put in the furnace and not the ducts, he
is probably off the hook on this. Did the old furnace make the same
noises?

The home improvement guy is not the guy to fix it unless he is
familiar with this type of problem. You need a good sheetmetal man
that knows how to design and install ducts.

Most likely, you have to cut the duct and install a flexible coupling
to take up the expansion when the duct is heated. If you have long
straight runs and do not allow for movement, you get oil canning. It
should be allowed to float.

http://www.flexicraft.com/Metal_Expa...ts/Metal_Duct/

The furnace guy should have been able to recommend a tin knocker, but
it sounds like he just wants out. Now it is up to you to find
someone. I'd ask around at the local plumbing supply house or a good
heating contractor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

This is interesting. Thanks a lot Tony. I'm going to do some research on filters and get ones that allow the maximum air flow, and I'll report back In a day or two to tell you if it helps or not. I still don't see what I can do if it is a balance problem. Is there a away of fixing that? Who do I call to look into it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Great info Ed. Between you, Tony, and Trader4 I have a lot to go on and a lot of things to check out before I hire a home improvement guy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dom wrote:
This is interesting. Thanks a lot Tony. I'm going to do some research on filters and get ones that allow the maximum air flow, and I'll report back In a day or two to tell you if it helps or not. I still don't see what I can do if it is a balance problem. Is there a away of fixing that? Who do I call to look into it?

Hi,
You did not answer yet whether the problem came with the new furnace.
If it started happening with new furnace maybe they sized it wrong or
after install. they did not tweak the system well.
I am a retired EE from Honeywell, not an expert on HVAC. Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony, it happened after the new furnace, but not immediately after. It must have been about 2 months later, which is why I do not hold the hvac company responsible. I wish they would give me some curb side advice, but I think they want out altogether. They don't return phone calls, and so on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 12:03*am, Tony Hwang wrote:
Dom wrote:
This is interesting. *Thanks a lot Tony. *I'm going to do some research on filters and get ones that allow the maximum air flow, and I'll report back In a day or two to tell you if it helps or not. *I still don't see what I can do if it is a balance problem. *Is there a away of fixing that? *Who do I call to look into it?

Hi,
You did not answer yet whether the problem came with the new furnace.
If it started happening with new furnace maybe they sized it wrong or
after install. they did not tweak the system well.
I am a retired EE from Honeywell, not an expert on HVAC. Good luck.

The problem with the pressure theory is that Dom reported
yesterday that the problem doesn't occur when he turns on
just the fan. The fan setting on these systems
is typically a higher speed than heating at first stage or
second stage. It's almost certainly moving more air with
fan only and would go through the same pressure range
or higher. Dom can verify that by checking the airflow
and sound from the blower.
If it's making noises with first and second
stage heat and not with "fan only", I don't see how it
can be a pressure problem.

Dom didn't give a time from when the blower starts to
ramp up until the noise occurs. If it's after the blower has
already been at full speed for 10 secs or more, I
think it would strongly suggest that it;s heat related.

Another simple test that could be performed would be
to start up the AC and see what happens at the highest
speed. It's too cold out, but it can still easily be done.
Just open the circuit breaker for the outside AC unit.
The furnace blower will still run, but the compressor
won't start. See what that produces. That will have
the blower at it's highest speed, max pressure.

One other question comes to mind though. Has anything
else changed in the house? Basement been finished?
Some registers closed? Did he check to make sure nothing
has been placed in front of a register or return, blocking it?
Room doors shut that were previously opened? Most or
all of that shouldn't cause it to make noises if it was
properly secured to begin with. But if a section of duct
isn't installed correctly, those things could be what
creates the conditions to make the noise happen, at
least if pressure is a factor.

And in the end, it most likely doesn't matter, because the
ducts are supposed to be installed so that they don't move.
Fixing that is probably the only thing that is going to produce
a solution.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dom wrote:
[...]

And I think that nails it. Terrific. My next step is to remove the
sheet rock under the duct that causes the damn shot-gun level
clanging, do whatever I need to do to stop it (possibly getting a duct
pro to replace it), then fix the sheet rock. Thanks. I feel
confident going into this.

Dom
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dom wrote:
[...]

Earplugs. Fifty cents.

But I don't suppose I'll get much credit for an economical idea...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dom wrote:
On Mar 25, 6:23 pm, Dom wrote:

I can't acces it except through the vent. I need to remove the
sheet
rock, and I'd rather go through a home improvement guy for that.-

Why did I say central jersey? I'm in south jersey.

Me too -- Camden County.