Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oil canning (noisy ducts) in walls

Hello everyone.

The ducts in my house make a loud booming noise when the heat turns on
and again after it cools down. Sounds like someone is banging a metal
trash can with a hammer. It's so loud that I'm ashamed to have
friends over.

My house is on a crawl space, and I have no easy way to reach the
ducts. Can I do anything to fix this? I just got a new heater and
decided not to get a humidifier (since the old one didn't do much
good). Will a humidifier help the problem?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 1:22*pm, Dom wrote:
Hello everyone.

The ducts in my house make a loud booming noise when the heat turns on
and again after it cools down. *Sounds like someone is banging a metal
trash can with a hammer. *It's so loud that I'm ashamed to have
friends over.

My house is on a crawl space, and I have no easy way to reach the
ducts. *Can I do anything to fix this?

You need to find the section of duct that is flexing and
causing the noise. It's not unusal for that section to be
close to the furnace. Someone needs to look, while
another person cycles the blower.

A variable speed blower that slowly ramps up in speed
might solve it too, if a new furnace is in the cards.

*I just got a new heater and
decided not to get a humidifier (since the old one didn't do much
good). *Will a humidifier help the problem?

No. Why would you think a humidifier would have anything
to do with it? Humidifiers work. Are you sure the old one
was even working, installed correctly, etc?

I guess a new furnace isn't in the cards then. What did
the installers say when you pointed out the duct noise
to them?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 12:22*pm, Dom wrote:
Hello everyone.

The ducts in my house make a loud booming noise when the heat turns on
and again after it cools down. *Sounds like someone is banging a metal
trash can with a hammer. *It's so loud that I'm ashamed to have
friends over.

My house is on a crawl space, and I have no easy way to reach the
ducts. *Can I do anything to fix this? *I just got a new heater and
decided not to get a humidifier (since the old one didn't do much
good). *Will a humidifier help the problem?

If you manually turn the blower on and off, without the furnace
heating up, is the noise there? You need to tell if it is an
expansion problem due to heating the metal, or if it is the duct
flexing under the air pressure. You should be able to hear which wall
it is coming from, and then locate it better using a listening tool, a
rod held to the wall and the other end to your ear.

Once you are suspicious as to the location, cycle it several times to
be more sure. Then insert a stiff wire or knitting needle thru the
wall till it touches the duct. Listen again while the noise
reoccurs. If you are close, you should be able to feel a vibration in
the wire/needle. If you do, then you know where the problem is. From
the attic, maybe you can slide a piece of wood down into the opening,
along the side of the duct, to push against the duct and stop the
noise.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 1:42*pm, "
wrote:
On Feb 20, 12:22*pm, Dom wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the responses.

Trader4: The furnace is just a few months old -- its a two-stage,
variable speed heater, and according to the reviews it's a good
heater. The humidifier? I just mentioned it because I had a
humidifier with the old heater and I don't remember this kind of
noise. So it was a stab in the dark.

hrhofmann: I'll take your advice and report back to this thread.
Concerning the attic, the noise is definately on the first floor, and
the attic is not a walk-in attic. If I locate the noise, can I cut
through the dry-wall and fix it there?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd call the furnace installer, and ask his help.
Might be possible turn down the fan. A humid-
ifier might circulate some of the air back into
the return, so it may reduce the pressure coming
from the furnace.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Dom" wrote in message
Hello everyone.

The ducts in my house make a loud booming noise when the heat turns on
and again after it cools down. Sounds like someone is banging a metal
trash can with a hammer. It's so loud that I'm ashamed to have
friends over.

My house is on a crawl space, and I have no easy way to reach the
ducts. Can I do anything to fix this? I just got a new heater and
decided not to get a humidifier (since the old one didn't do much
good). Will a humidifier help the problem?

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Dom" wrote in message

Hello everyone.

The ducts in my house make a loud booming noise when the heat turns on
and again after it cools down. *Sounds like someone is banging a metal
trash can with a hammer. *It's so loud that I'm ashamed to have
friends over.

My house is on a crawl space, and I have no easy way to reach the
ducts. *Can I do anything to fix this? *I just got a new heater and
decided not to get a humidifier (since the old one didn't do much
good). *Will a humidifier help the problem?

Good points, Stormin. I had called the installer about the noise from
the air-flow, and he reduced the speed already. Said he can't reduce
it anymore or I won't get maximum efficiency. I didn't ask about the
duct noise, so he might have some advice there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dom wrote:
On Feb 20, 1:42 pm, "
wrote:
On Feb 20, 12:22 pm, Dom wrote:

Hello everyone.

The ducts in my house make a loud booming noise when the heat turns
on and again after it cools down. Sounds like someone is banging a
metal trash can with a hammer. It's so loud that I'm ashamed to have
friends over.

Thanks for the responses.

Trader4: The furnace is just a few months old -- its a two-stage,
variable speed heater, and according to the reviews it's a good
heater.

Since the furnace is only a few months old, could you call the installer and
ask them to come back and check out the problem? Most installers give a
1-year guarantee of their own regarding the installation in addition to any
longer-term guarantee that comes with the unit itself from the manufacturer.

hrhofmann: I'll take your advice and report back to this thread.
Concerning the attic, the noise is definately on the first floor, and
the attic is not a walk-in attic. If I locate the noise, can I cut
through the dry-wall and fix it there?

Maybe ..., or least that's my guess. But I would try to have to installer
of the heater come back first before doing anything on my own.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Never know. It's honorable, to call the installer, and give him the chance
to follow up. I know, I sure resent it when people call, and they have asked
everyone except me, and done all kinds of self help except calling the
installer.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Dom" wrote in message

Good points, Stormin. I had called the installer about the noise from
the air-flow, and he reduced the speed already. Said he can't reduce
it anymore or I won't get maximum efficiency. I didn't ask about the
duct noise, so he might have some advice there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dom" wrote in message

Hello everyone.

The ducts in my house make a loud booming noise when the heat turns on
and again after it cools down. *Sounds like someone is banging a metal
trash can with a hammer. *It's so loud that I'm ashamed to have
friends over.

My house is on a crawl space, and I have no easy way to reach the
ducts. *Can I do anything to fix this? *I just got a new heater and
decided not to get a humidifier (since the old one didn't do much
good). *Will a humidifier help the problem?

Good points, Stormin. *I had called the installer about the noise from
the air-flow, and he reduced the speed already. *Said he can't reduce
it anymore or I won't get maximum efficiency.

Air flow noise when heating or for AC? Seems kind of
odd that a new variable speed blower would make noise
that requires it to be run slower. I have a Rheem that isn't
anything special and you can't hear any air real air noise
when heating or cooling at 2000CFM. You can hear the
blower motor a bit, but not the air.

*I didn't ask about the
duct noise, so he might have some advice there.- Hide quoted text -

I would definitely get them back. If the noise didn't exist
before the new install and now you have a bang, then
it would seem likely it's related to the install. I'd check
the ducts closest to the furnace, because it would seem
given the info that is where it's most likely to be. They
had to screw with that portion of ducting to put the furnace
in. They didn't have to screw with ducts in the walls.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dom" wrote in message

[...]

in. *They didn't have to screw with ducts in the walls.....- Hide quoted text -

The noisy air flow was from the heater; the AC is new too, but I
haven't turned that on yet. Come to think of it, I don't know if the
noise was from the heater motor or the air flow itself when he fixed
it by turning down the speed. The heater (and AC) is a Rheem.

I take it the opinion here is to call the installer. That's what I'll
do, then, before I go crazy with DIY stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 2:53*pm, Dom wrote:

"Dom" wrote in message

[...]

If the air noise issue was from heating mode, I don't think
you're going to be happy when it's in AC mode. The
AC airflow rate is typically 50%+ higher. I have a
Rheem and it's something like 1200 cfm for heating,
2000 cfm for cooling. I paid closer attention to noise after
this discussion. I guess some of the noise is air flow
noise, not just the blower. But whatever it is, it isn't
objectionable and is a lot less noticeable than the 25
year old unit it replaced. Part of that is because with a
variable blower, it ramps up slowly and turns off slowly.

*Come to think of it, I don't know if the
noise was from the heater motor or the air flow itself when he fixed
it by turning down the speed. *The heater (and AC) is a Rheem.

I take it the opinion here is to call the installer. *That's what I'll
do, then, before I go crazy with DIY stuff.- Hide quoted text -

As I said, if it was me and the furnace is accessible, I'd
take a look at the ducts near the furnace while someone
cycles the blower. I like to know as much as I can
before any service guy shows up. That way if they are
blowing smoke, I know it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 10:22:32 -0800 (PST), Dom
wrote:

Hello everyone.

The ducts in my house make a loud booming noise when the heat turns on
and again after it cools down. Sounds like someone is banging a metal
trash can with a hammer. It's so loud that I'm ashamed to have
friends over.

My house is on a crawl space, and I have no easy way to reach the
ducts. Can I do anything to fix this? I just got a new heater and
decided not to get a humidifier (since the old one didn't do much
good). Will a humidifier help the problem?

I had an inaccessible duct doing something similar. To stop it I got
a length of PVC pipe and forced it into a bowed shaped so that the two
ends were against one side of the duct and the bowed out part was
against the other side. That put pressure on the duct to make it stop
moving with changes in air pressure. I made it "bow" by jamming it in
at one end, bowing it, and then fastening down the end I could still
reach.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hmmmm. Interesting. By "bow" do you mean "U" shape? And since your
duct, like mine, is inaccessible, did you just go through a vent?
What if the noise is far from the vent?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Not nearly as bent as would take to form a U. I used about a 8 foot
length of pipe in a 1.5" wide duct so it was a lot more like the bow
in the "body" of a bow and arrow. Yes, I went in thru a vent. If
it's too far away... don't know. Mine was with in the roughly 12 feet
that I could get to from the vent.

Getting the Ducts Cleaned Lexis Home Repair 7 December 12th 07 04:25 AM
Noisy heating ducts on expansion and contraction Mike E. Fullerton Home Repair 15 February 4th 07 03:47 AM
cleaning air ducts? ap Home Repair 10 October 18th 06 05:08 AM
Radiators: Interior Walls or Exterior Walls? [email protected] UK diy 6 August 15th 06 07:23 AM
Flexible ducts? mgarvie Home Repair 2 February 10th 06 01:24 AM