Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oil canning (noisy ducts) in walls

On Feb 20, 1:22*pm, Dom wrote:
Hello everyone.

The ducts in my house make a loud booming noise when the heat turns on
and again after it cools down. *Sounds like someone is banging a metal
trash can with a hammer. *It's so loud that I'm ashamed to have
friends over.

My house is on a crawl space, and I have no easy way to reach the
ducts. *Can I do anything to fix this?

You need to find the section of duct that is flexing and
causing the noise. It's not unusal for that section to be
close to the furnace. Someone needs to look, while
another person cycles the blower.

A variable speed blower that slowly ramps up in speed
might solve it too, if a new furnace is in the cards.

*I just got a new heater and
decided not to get a humidifier (since the old one didn't do much
good). *Will a humidifier help the problem?

No. Why would you think a humidifier would have anything
to do with it? Humidifiers work. Are you sure the old one
was even working, installed correctly, etc?

I guess a new furnace isn't in the cards then. What did
the installers say when you pointed out the duct noise
to them?