Posted to alt.home.repair
mgarvie

Default Flexible ducts?

I was about to start to install ducts in my basement and was wondering about
flexible ducts. They seem easier to add to my existing ductwork which look
like a mad spider. Or whould I be better off ripping out the maze I already
have, install a trunk the length of the house, and put in pipes to each
room?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stretch

Flex ducts are OK when properly sized and properly installed. If you
install too few or too small flex ducts, you will not get enough air
flow. That will degrade both capacity and efficiency. It may also
damage your equipment. Not a good DIY project. By the way, if you
must do it, up size the flex 2" above the existing sheet metal duct
sizes for the same air flow. Make as nfew bends as possible and
support it every few feet so it does not sag.

Stretch

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

mgarvie wrote:
I was about to start to install ducts in my basement and was wondering
about flexible ducts. They seem easier to add to my existing
ductwork which look like a mad spider. Or whould I be better off
ripping out the maze I already have, install a trunk the length of
the house, and put in pipes to each room?

Flex duct should be consider a last resort. It has many problems
including the need to upsize it since it is not as efficient as standard
metal duct.

I suggest you stick with standard metal.

BTW how do you know what size and how many and where for the ducts?
This should not be a guessing game. Even an experience pro should do the
numbers to determine all those things. The wrong size will mean poor service
and maybe damaged equipment.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit