Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Drahn Paul Drahn is offline

Default Are my ducts noisy because of heat or too much air?

On 3/25/2013 3:23 PM, Dom wrote:
On Mar 25, 6:10 pm,
wrote:
On Mar 25, 5:46 pm, wrote:

On Mar 25, 5:38 pm, Paul wrote:

On 3/25/2013 11:51 AM, Dom wrote:

I posted before about my noisy ducts -- crash, bang, pow, all night.
I'm about to call a home improvement guy and have him remove the dry
wall on the ceiling, replace or tighten the duct, then repair the dry
wall. I don't think it will be a big job, but someone told me that
the problem might be too much air going through the ducts because of
the new more powerful furnace (two stage, variable speed, 95K BTU).
Can someone advise me on this?

I think it is the heat because: 1) It happens at only two ducts, 2) I
get a noise when it cools down and sometimes long after it cools down.

More importantly, I got the furnace from a VERY reputable firm, and I
don't think they would make a mistake like that, and I got two other
quotes from other reputable firms, all of whom were ready to sell the
same furnace. Surely, they couldn't all make the same mistake.

So, any advice?

Can you gain access to either of the two ducts? If so, see if they have
the crease that goes from one corner of the duct to the opposite corner.
These are there to strengthen the sheet metal and prevent what you are
hearing.

Paul

I can't acces it except through the vent. I need to remove the sheet
rock, and I'd rather go through a home improvement guy for that.- Hide quoted text -

Just make sure you have everything in writing, including the
cost and don't get hosed by a home improvement guy.

Trader4, thanks for the info. You actually remembered me from my last
post? Wow. You're right on a few points -- no, 95k is not too large
at all, others around here (I'm in central jersey) have more, but I
did some research and I figured for my size home anything larger would
cycle too frequently. And no, I did not say I go into second stage.
Usually it is only the first stage, and I have it set so it stays
there for 12 (max) minutes.

I never did the fan only test because my thermostat does not have that
setting. Don't know why. I'm going to assume it is temp, and not air
pressure, because, like I said, the hvac company is very reputable,
and three other reputable companies tried to sell the same system.

In that case, there must be a separate thermostat for the fan control. I
had an oil furnace, once, with a separate thermostat and it has a little
knob in the middle that would turn on the fan.

Paul