Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Preserving electrical tape?

Seems like every time I need some electical tape the roll is dried out and
won't stick. I use it rarely - perhaps only once a year - so I can't really
blame it - even though it's name brand - 3M.

Anyone know how to make it last longer? I keep it in a closed plastic box.
Perhaps the refrigerator, which works for batteries? I hate to keep buying
new rolls of electric or soft rubber tapes just for one use.

Ideas? Tips?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 3/24/2013 8:31 AM, KenK wrote:
Seems like every time I need some electical tape the roll is dried out and
won't stick. I use it rarely - perhaps only once a year - so I can't really
blame it - even though it's name brand - 3M.

Anyone know how to make it last longer? I keep it in a closed plastic box.
Perhaps the refrigerator, which works for batteries? I hate to keep buying
new rolls of electric or soft rubber tapes just for one use.

Ideas? Tips?

Never been a problem here--I just throw it in the drawer in the shop
(unheated, SW KS so is both +100/-10F) and it's as good as new for years
afaict....

There's friction tape out there that's perfectly usable that must be 30
yr old. Masking tape/duct tape/etc., otoh don't last any time at all
comparatively buty I've never seen a problem at all w/ electrical tape.
If that were a problem, one wouldn't think it would last in use, either...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 3/24/2013 8:31 AM, KenK wrote:
Seems like every time I need some electical tape the roll is dried out
and
won't stick. I use it rarely - perhaps only once a year - so I can't
really
blame it - even though it's name brand - 3M.

Anyone know how to make it last longer? I keep it in a closed plastic
box.
Perhaps the refrigerator, which works for batteries? I hate to keep
buying
new rolls of electric or soft rubber tapes just for one use.

Ideas? Tips?

Never been a problem here--I just throw it in the drawer in the shop
(unheated, SW KS so is both +100/-10F) and it's as good as new for years
afaict....

Same here, I never had a problem with the 3M brand of electrical tape. When
I was working I may use several rolls in a week and also have a roll on my
tool belt that may stay on for several months or more before I use all of
it. Some gets put in my tool box for several years at a time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote in :

Masking tape/duct tape/etc., otoh don't last any time at all
comparatively buty I've never seen a problem at all w/ electrical tape.

Odd. With me it's the opposite; the duct and masking tape last for years.

Perhaps it's my climate - desert far southwest. Very hot in summer, very
dry when the summer monsoons are not entertaining us.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/24/13 8:31 AM, KenK wrote:
Seems like every time I need some electical tape the roll is dried out and
won't stick. I use it rarely - perhaps only once a year - so I can't really
blame it - even though it's name brand - 3M.

Anyone know how to make it last longer? I keep it in a closed plastic box.
Perhaps the refrigerator, which works for batteries? I hate to keep buying
new rolls of electric or soft rubber tapes just for one use.

Ideas? Tips?

TIA

I haul mine around in pickup service panels in Nebraska.
Temperatures range from below zero to above 100 F. No real problems
that I've noticed. I don't know about the longevity since I really don't
pay attention. We tend to use a lot of tape each spring time but not
much the rest of the year. It's the Scotch Super 33+ if that matters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 24 Mar 2013 13:31:26 GMT, KenK wrote:

Seems like every time I need some electical tape the roll is dried out and
won't stick. I use it rarely - perhaps only once a year - so I can't really
blame it - even though it's name brand - 3M.

That's step one. Step 2 is get Scotch 33. I just found a roll
that I've had in the garage since 1985-- still good and stretchy- even
at 10degrees F. [and it doesn't melt at 120.]

It was with an old lineman's phone that I'd taped up with Scotch 33 in
1975-- the tape on that was still good.

Anyone know how to make it last longer? I keep it in a closed plastic box.
Perhaps the refrigerator, which works for batteries? I hate to keep buying
new rolls of electric or soft rubber tapes just for one use.

Both of the above were in my garage-- no heat or air conditioning-
high humidity- -20F to 120F. Good tape doesn't mind.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 3/24/2013 10:33 AM, KenK wrote:
wrote in :

Masking tape/duct tape/etc., otoh don't last any time at all
comparatively buty I've never seen a problem at all w/ electrical tape.

Odd. With me it's the opposite; the duct and masking tape last for years.

Perhaps it's my climate - desert far southwest. Very hot in summer, very
dry when the summer monsoons are not entertaining us.

Well, this isn't desert but it's certainly dry out on the high plains
and 100+F isn't at all uncommon nor humidities in the single digits...

Masking tape dries out and duct tape adhesive gets gummy--then again, it
may be years old, too; I don't time it and use very little, routinely so
it's always of indeterminate age when pick up a roll...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 24, 7:31 am, KenK wrote:
Seems like every time I need some electical tape the roll is dried out and
won't stick. I use it rarely - perhaps only once a year - so I can't really
blame it - even though it's name brand - 3M.

Anyone know how to make it last longer? I keep it in a closed plastic box.
Perhaps the refrigerator, which works for batteries? I hate to keep buying
new rolls of electric or soft rubber tapes just for one use.

Ideas? Tips?

TIA

I've never had a problem. HOWEVER, if I did, I'd put it in one of
those
sealed baggies and stick it in the regular part of the
refrigerator.... along
with medications , PVC pipe cement, and opened tubes of superglue....

But then, I'm just really cautious, and have room in the fridge.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

"KenK" wrote in message

Seems like every time I need some electical tape the roll is dried out and
won't stick. I use it rarely - perhaps only once a year - so I can't
really
blame it - even though it's name brand - 3M.

Anyone know how to make it last longer?

What did 3M say when you asked?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote in :

Masking tape/duct tape/etc., otoh don't last any time at all
comparatively buty I've never seen a problem at all w/ electrical tape.

Odd. With me it's the opposite; the duct and masking tape last for years.

Perhaps it's my climate - desert far southwest. Very hot in summer, very
dry when the summer monsoons are not entertaining us.

Well, this isn't desert but it's certainly dry out on the high plains
and 100+F isn't at all uncommon nor humidities in the single digits...

I just noticed being the OP and something else caught my eye didn't
really think about too much first time--the plastic box you keep it
in--what is it? Wonder if there's any chance it's outgassing something
that's causing an interaction or something? I just toss it in the
drawer in the tool cabinet in the shop...

I certainly wouldn't go so far as the 'fridge but couldn't hurt to just
bring it into the house and put it in a drawer there somewhere...and see
if makes any difference.

As for brands, I've both name and generic Ace-branded and really don't
see any difference--couldn't distinguish between rolls other than by the
printing if there is any or the mill thickness of the 3M 88 try to keep
a roll handy for the times when mandatory to deal w/ something during
cold winter weather when regular isn't so easy to work with (this would
take something like losing the heater to one of the waterers in the
feedlot or somesuch; I don't do anything out in the cold any longer that
I can possibly avoid ).

Senior Member

If it were me, I'd try wrapping it in Saran Wrap or any cling wrap. IF (big if there) the problem is that the tape is drying out, wrapping with a cling wrap will ensure there's minimal air around the tape during storage for anything volatile to evaporate into.

I too have found that old masking tape won't peel off the roll properly and won't stick well. It could be that you're buying an expensive tape that simply isn't moving off the store shelves quickly enough. To address that issue, many drop in at any electrical wholesaler and pay the suggested retail price for a roll of any electrical tape they stock.

Last edited by nestork : March 24th 13 at 07:27 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 24 Mar 2013 15:33:06 GMT, KenK wrote:

dpb wrote in :

Masking tape/duct tape/etc., otoh don't last any time at all
comparatively buty I've never seen a problem at all w/ electrical tape.

Odd. With me it's the opposite; the duct and masking tape last for years.

Perhaps it's my climate - desert far southwest. Very hot in summer, very
dry when the summer monsoons are not entertaining us.

I live in the SW and any masking tape left in the garage gets very dry
after a year or so. Not so much for duct tape. Electric tape rolls
I've had out there for years and they still seem fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in :

[...]

There are al LEAST 3 different kinds of "electrical tape" some a
whole lot better than others. There is vinyl tape made with TCP, and
without. The TCP stuff is crap.
Then there is PVC tape, and rubber tape, and "elastomer" tape. Then
there is silicone, self fusing silicone rubber, and polyester tape,

Some of it is useless when cold. Needs to have good stretch, and good
adhesive that does not deteriorate and get all slippey-slidey.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote in :

I just noticed being the OP and something else caught my eye didn't
really think about too much first time--the plastic box you keep it
in--what is it? Wonder if there's any chance it's outgassing something
that's causing an interaction or something? I just toss it in the
drawer in the tool cabinet in the shop...

It's a round box/package/container that originally held 3M 88 so it should
be ok.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Phillipson" wrote in
:

"KenK" wrote in message

Seems like every time I need some electical tape the roll is dried
out and won't stick. I use it rarely - perhaps only once a year - so
I can't really
blame it - even though it's name brand - 3M.

Anyone know how to make it last longer?

What did 3M say when you asked?

I didn't ask. I've not had very good luck getting questions answered by
manufacturers. Ten years ago, yes, but not any more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/24/2013 8:31 AM, KenK wrote:
Seems like every time I need some electical tape the roll is dried out and
won't stick. I use it rarely - perhaps only once a year - so I can't really
blame it - even though it's name brand - 3M.

Anyone know how to make it last longer? I keep it in a closed plastic box.
Perhaps the refrigerator, which works for batteries? I hate to keep buying
new rolls of electric or soft rubber tapes just for one use.

Ideas? Tips?

TIA

never heard tell of such a deal. I use nothing but 3m tape and some of
my rolls (different colors) are years old. No problem with them.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/24/2013 9:31 AM, KenK wrote:
Seems like every time I need some electical tape the roll is dried out and
won't stick. I use it rarely - perhaps only once a year - so I can't really
blame it - even though it's name brand - 3M.

Anyone know how to make it last longer? I keep it in a closed plastic box.
Perhaps the refrigerator, which works for batteries? I hate to keep buying
new rolls of electric or soft rubber tapes just for one use.

Ideas? Tips?

TIA

Are you sure it is 3M? If it was maybe it is some lower quality made for
big box versions. I have pulled old rolls Scotch 33 or 88 tape out of
the drawer and they were good as new. I have also simply unwrapped
connections that were covered with quality tape unlike that big box
stuff that hardens.

http://www.3m.com/product/informatio...ical-Tape.html

http://www.3m.com/product/informatio...l-Tape-88.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote in message
Are you sure it is 3M? If it was maybe it is some lower quality made for
big box versions. I have pulled old rolls Scotch 33 or 88 tape out of the
drawer and they were good as new. I have also simply unwrapped connections
that were covered with quality tape unlike that big box stuff that
hardens.

http://www.3m.com/product/informatio...ical-Tape.html

http://www.3m.com/product/informatio...l-Tape-88.html

He might have some 3M that is not the Scotch 33 or 88. The plant I worked
at used a lot of electrical tape. To reduce costs they bought some other 3M
tape that was not ver good compaired to the 33. After we used all of it,
and threw some of it away, they went back to the 33.
I think it was called something like Highland, but did not see that listed
as an electrical tape any more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote :

[...]

adhesive that does not deteriorate and get all slippey-slidey.- Hide quoted text -

I have definitely had electrical tape dry out or get all gooey on the
roll. When it dries out it's still stuck to itself on the roll, but
once you try to use it, it will never stick to anything again.

Worse is when the adhesive gets gooey and you get black crap all over
your fingers.

Ever have a roll of electrical tape turn itself into a cone? You can
compress it back into a flat roll with some weight, but it will
eventually turn back into a cone once the weight is removed. Really
strange.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/24/2013 10:16 AM, dpb wrote:
On 3/24/2013 8:31 AM, KenK wrote:
[...]

IME it always delaminates a little bit, and I've been using the good 3M
stuff as well. Whenever I have the option of using heat shrink, I do...
I only reserve electrical tape for where using heat shrink is impossible.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

Some tapes are just wound too tightly.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Ever have a roll of electrical tape turn itself into a cone? You can
compress it back into a flat roll with some weight, but it will
eventually turn back into a cone once the weight is removed. Really
strange.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 24 Mar 2013 13:31:26 GMT, KenK wrote:

Seems like every time I need some electical tape the roll is dried out and
won't stick. I use it rarely - perhaps only once a year - so I can't really
blame it - even though it's name brand - 3M.

Anyone know how to make it last longer? I keep it in a closed plastic box.
Perhaps the refrigerator, which works for batteries? I hate to keep buying
new rolls of electric or soft rubber tapes just for one use.

Ideas? Tips?

TIA

Unroll the entire roll. Cover all of the electrical tape with duct
tape, being sure to apply the duct tape to both sides of the electrical
tape. Then roll it back up. When you need to use it, simply cut off as
much as you need, then remove the duct tape from the electrical tape,
discard the duct tape, and use the electrical tape in the normal manner.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/26/2013 11:01 AM, George wrote:
Seems like every time I need some electical tape the roll is dried out and
won't stick. I use it rarely - perhaps only once a year - so I can't really
blame it - even though it's name brand - 3M.

Anyone know how to make it last longer? I keep it in a closed plastic box.
Perhaps the refrigerator, which works for batteries? I hate to keep buying
new rolls of electric or soft rubber tapes just for one use.

Ideas? Tips?

Did you buy it from Hong Kong Harbor Freight? Maybe it's a cheap
Chinese knock-off with a fake 3M label?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 24, 8:33*am, KenK wrote:
dpb wrote :

Masking tape/duct tape/etc., otoh don't last any time at all
comparatively buty I've never seen a problem at all w/ electrical tape.

Odd. With me it's the opposite; the duct and masking tape last for years.

Perhaps it's my climate - desert far southwest. Very hot in summer, very
dry when the summer monsoons are not entertaining us.

I'm in the Palouse (Washington state) - semi arid and the last time I
needed some the roll was still good. Has to be at least 20 years old.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mitt Romley wrote:
On 3/26/2013 11:01 AM, George wrote:
Seems like every time I need some electical tape the roll is dried out and
won't stick. I use it rarely - perhaps only once a year - so I can't really
blame it - even though it's name brand - 3M.

Anyone know how to make it last longer? I keep it in a closed plastic box.
Perhaps the refrigerator, which works for batteries? I hate to keep buying
new rolls of electric or soft rubber tapes just for one use.

Ideas? Tips?

Did you buy it from Hong Kong Harbor Freight? Maybe it's a cheap Chinese
knock-off with a fake 3M label?

As far as I know, HF doesn't carry counterfeit items. They may sell cheap
Chinese products, but they won't have a name-brand label on them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

As far as I know, HF doesn't carry counterfeit items. They may sell cheap
Chinese products, but they won't have a name-brand label on them.

I had some super cheap electric tape dry out many years ago, may have
been from builders square.

but tape that dries out is bad news in any electrical application,
since the tape will come undone

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mitt Romley wrote in
b.com:

On 3/26/2013 11:01 AM, George wrote:
Seems like every time I need some electical tape the roll is dried
out and won't stick. I use it rarely - perhaps only once a year - so
I can't really blame it - even though it's name brand - 3M.

Anyone know how to make it last longer? I keep it in a closed plastic
box. Perhaps the refrigerator, which works for batteries? I hate to
keep buying new rolls of electric or soft rubber tapes just for one
use.

Ideas? Tips?

Did you buy it from Hong Kong Harbor Freight? Maybe it's a cheap
Chinese knock-off with a fake 3M label?

Probably Walmart - maybe Lowes or Home Depot.