Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Preserving electrical tape?

On 24 Mar 2013 13:31:26 GMT, KenK wrote:

Seems like every time I need some electical tape the roll is dried out and
won't stick. I use it rarely - perhaps only once a year - so I can't really
blame it - even though it's name brand - 3M.

That's step one. Step 2 is get Scotch 33. I just found a roll
that I've had in the garage since 1985-- still good and stretchy- even
at 10degrees F. [and it doesn't melt at 120.]

It was with an old lineman's phone that I'd taped up with Scotch 33 in
1975-- the tape on that was still good.

Anyone know how to make it last longer? I keep it in a closed plastic box.
Perhaps the refrigerator, which works for batteries? I hate to keep buying
new rolls of electric or soft rubber tapes just for one use.

Both of the above were in my garage-- no heat or air conditioning-
high humidity- -20F to 120F. Good tape doesn't mind.

Jim