Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does Bleach Really Kill Mold?

http://livinglifeforce.tripod.com/mold.html

Laundry bleach is not an effective mold killing agent for wood-based
building materials and NOT EFFECTIVE in the mold remediation process. OSHA
is the first federal agency to announce a departure from the use of chlorine
bleach in mold remediation. In time, other federal, state and other public
safety agencies are expected to follow OSHA's lead. The public should be
aware, however, that a chlorine bleach solution IS an effective sanitizing
product that kills mold on hard non porous surfaces and neutralizes indoor
mold allergens that trigger allergies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2013-03-13, Robert Green wrote:
http://livinglifeforce.tripod.com/mold.html

Laundry bleach is not an effective mold killing agent for wood-based
building materials and NOT EFFECTIVE in the mold remediation process. OSHA
is the first federal agency to announce a departure from the use of chlorine
bleach in mold remediation. In time, other federal, state and other public
safety agencies are expected to follow OSHA's lead. The public should be
aware, however, that a chlorine bleach solution IS an effective sanitizing
product that kills mold on hard non porous surfaces and neutralizes indoor
mold allergens that trigger allergies.

I'd be interested to know why chlorine bleach has suddenly become
ineffective in the control of mold, particularly since it's been used
quite effectively for over a century in the food industry. I worked
in canneries waaay back in my youth and industrial strength chlorine
bleach (definitely NOT yer mother's Clorox) was our main mojo. Even
on wood, it kept mold at levels that killed all food toxins.

We'd run those food lines 3 shifts per day for 6 days per week. On
Sunday, those who wanted overtime came in and knocked down the mold on
the processing lines. I'm talking long strands of slime hanging off
the food conveyor belts which had been growing for a week. I'd knock
off the big slime and mold with a 50 psi pressure washer and legions
of bucket/brush carrying workers would follow up with this
burn-yer-eyeballs-outta-yer-skull strength bleach. Even the pine 2X4s
covering the waste drains were deslimed and bleached. Why has this
now suddenly been rendered non-effective? Is bleach now really not
working or did some slimey chem company with a lotta lobbyists come
out with a new sanitizer that's gonna save the industry and it needs
the feds to turn the tide in their favor. Or has all our toxic chems
created a new super-mold that renders chlorine bleach impotent?
Seriously.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/2013 8:48 AM, Robert Green wrote:
http://livinglifeforce.tripod.com/mold.html

Laundry bleach is not an effective mold killing agent for wood-based
building materials and NOT EFFECTIVE in the mold remediation process.

This false claim is contradicted by the the following statement:

The public should be
aware, however, that a chlorine bleach solution IS an effective sanitizing
product that kills mold on hard non porous surfaces

So yeah, bleach kills mold. However, it can damage porous materials,
and improper use, especially in confined spaces, can be hazardous.
OSHA makes the point that disposing of soaked porous materials is
generally the best solution, and mold can be cleaned off hard-surfaced
materials with any cleaning solution, including soapy water.
Therefore, the use of bleach isn't required. That's not the same as
saying it is ineffective.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2013-03-13, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

and improper use, especially in confined spaces, can be hazardous.

So can the stuff you use to clean soap scum outta yer tub, not to
mention stepping off yer front porch.

Starting to sound like the insurance industry has their meddling fingers in
this.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 13, 6:48*am, "Robert Green" wrote:
http://livinglifeforce.tripod.com/mold.html

Laundry bleach is not an effective mold killing agent for wood-based
building materials and NOT EFFECTIVE *in the mold remediation process. OSHA
is the first federal agency to announce a departure from the use of chlorine
bleach in mold remediation. In time, other federal, state and other public
safety agencies are expected to follow OSHA's lead. *The public should be
aware, however, that a chlorine bleach solution IS an effective sanitizing
product that kills mold on hard non porous surfaces and neutralizes indoor
mold allergens that trigger allergies.

YES!!! and very instantaneously.

You can even wash mold off bread or cheese. However, with porous
surfaces like edibles, or wood; the mycelium goes a LONG way down
inside. So, washing with bleach kills, ...but not completely. Plus,
and here's the real downside, the carrier of sodium hypochlorite is
WATER. So you've just dampened a moldy surface, better dry it quickly.

Bleach is so active that it will even break up virii molecules.
Therefore, Veterinarians, between patients when confronted with
unknown epidemics, traditionally wash down their examining tables with
bleach and even dunk their hands into a tub of bleach...a big OW if
you've ever done that all day long. There are less caustic chemicals
available now, but it is my understanding that bleach is still the
most reliable method of sanitizing. It's kind of like burning,
without the flame.

By the way, my grandfather, who worked in heavy chlorine environments
at a water preparation plant once told me the antidote for excessive
chlorine exposure is caffeine (?) I always questioned that especially
after I was 'overexposed during a mold remediation process. I opted
for cream/mil products to make the mucosa tissues activate. Worked
better for me.

As to why the sudden interest in removing bleach [which quickly
deteriorates with time] from use, is unknown to me. Like, trying to
get the industry to quit bleaching paper products even with recycled
paper. SAY WHAT?! Hey, I use paper products during food preparation. I
want that stuff clean as possible.

Any theories as to why the sudden attempt to dismiss bleach, remove it
from the shelves?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 13, 1:48*pm, "Robert Green" wrote:
http://livinglifeforce.tripod.com/mold.html

Laundry bleach is not an effective mold killing agent for wood-based
building materials and NOT EFFECTIVE *in the mold remediation process. OSHA
is the first federal agency to announce a departure from the use of chlorine
bleach in mold remediation. In time, other federal, state and other public
safety agencies are expected to follow OSHA's lead. *The public should be
aware, however, that a chlorine bleach solution IS an effective sanitizing
product that kills mold on hard non porous surfaces and neutralizes indoor
mold allergens that trigger allergies.

The problem with bleach is that it is neutralised by virtually any
organic substance. So often it is neutralised before it can penetrate
things such as textiles.
Also whatever is to be disinfected, has to be cleaned first.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2013-03-13, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

and improper use, especially in confined spaces, can be hazardous.

So can the stuff you use to clean soap scum outta yer tub, not to
mention stepping off yer front porch.

Starting to sound like the insurance industry has their meddling fingers in
this.

nb

It's a matter of degree.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/2013 7:48 AM, Robert Green wrote:
http://livinglifeforce.tripod.com/mold.html

Laundry bleach is not an effective mold killing agent for wood-based
building materials and NOT EFFECTIVE in the mold remediation process. OSHA
is the first federal agency to announce a departure from the use of chlorine
bleach in mold remediation. In time, other federal, state and other public
safety agencies are expected to follow OSHA's lead. The public should be
aware, however, that a chlorine bleach solution IS an effective sanitizing
product that kills mold on hard non porous surfaces and neutralizes indoor
mold allergens that trigger allergies.

Collected FUD from the "Living Life Force Institute" "a group of
like-minded alternative healthcare practitioners"

Among the wisdom: "Chlorine is a key component of DIOXIN"
It is also a key component of table salt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote:
http://livinglifeforce.tripod.com/mold.html

Laundry bleach is not an effective mold killing agent for wood-based
building materials and NOT EFFECTIVE in the mold remediation process. OSHA
is the first federal agency to announce a departure from the use of chlorine
bleach in mold remediation. In time, other federal, state and other public
safety agencies are expected to follow OSHA's lead. The public should be
aware, however, that a chlorine bleach solution IS an effective sanitizing
product that kills mold on hard non porous surfaces and neutralizes indoor
mold allergens that trigger allergies.

Most of the mold is on the surface of wood. Chlorine will fix that. It will
also make it disappear. Other products might kill, but not make it
disappear. They often sand blast using dry ice. Just keep things dry
afterward.

Greg
Senior Member

Bleach doesn't kill mold?

Every time I put bleach on mold, the mold disappears and the surface remains clean for weeks afterward.

Have I just been halucinating that all my life?

Last edited by nestork : March 13th 13 at 11:57 PM

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13 Mar 2013 14:32:51 GMT, notbob wrote in
Re Does Bleach Really Kill
Mold?:

I'd be interested to know why chlorine bleach has suddenly become
ineffective in the control of mold

It's cheap, safe, effective and easy to use. Professional
mold-treatment companies hate that, so their Washington lobby is
pressuring the feds to switch to something that can only be applied by
licensed professionals. This is the prelude.

We've seen it work this way before.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2013-03-13, CRNG wrote:

It's cheap, safe, effective and easy to use. Professional
mold-treatment companies hate that, so their Washington lobby is
pressuring the feds to switch to something that can only be applied by
licensed professionals. This is the prelude.

I alluded to same. The only diff is the instigating faction. No
surprise whatsoever.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

First hit on startpage search:
http://www.certifiedmoldstrategies.com/nobleach.htm

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"notbob" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Think: FREON. If it works, someone will ban it.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"CRNG" wrote in message

I'd be interested to know why chlorine bleach has suddenly become
ineffective in the control of mold

It's cheap, safe, effective and easy to use. Professional
mold-treatment companies hate that, so their Washington lobby is
pressuring the feds to switch to something that can only be applied by
licensed professionals. This is the prelude.

We've seen it work this way before.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"Robert Green" wrote in
:

http://livinglifeforce.tripod.com/mold.html

Laundry bleach is not an effective mold killing agent for wood-based
building materials and NOT EFFECTIVE in the mold remediation process.
OSHA is the first federal agency to announce a departure from the use
of chlorine bleach in mold remediation. In time, other federal, state
and other public safety agencies are expected to follow OSHA's lead.
The public should be aware, however, that a chlorine bleach solution
IS an effective sanitizing product that kills mold on hard non porous
surfaces and neutralizes indoor mold allergens that trigger
allergies.

This is baloney. Bleach is an alkaline oxidizing agent. A rather
powerful one, but of course it depends on quantity and concentration.
Although pretty darn strong, household bleach isn't the strongest
solution of sodium hypochlorite one could have.

Wood is a porous structure made of materials that are organic, and thus
many parts are suceptible to oxidation. The porous structure would allow
molds to grow into the wood to various depth. On other words, if the
mold has had a long time to grow on or in the wood, and of course
depending on the wood's porosity structure, it might take a long time for
the bleach to reach all of the mold's "tentacles". By that time the
alkaline bleach might either have completely digested the wood, or lost
its strength while oxidizing all that organic wood material.
So I could understand the statement bleach can't kill the mold totally.

Another aspect is the dioxins. These are complex organic molecules with
chlorine atoms covalently bound. You'd get these because there are
complex organic molecules in the wood that could react with the chlorine
in the bleach. Hence in some countries the use of bleach is restricted
or use is not recommended. The brown coffee filters that are sold are
the result: Paper is used that isn't bleached to prevent dioxins from
contaminating the filters AND "poison" you after they leach out of the
paper of the filter. Of course since you may still be smoking
cigarettes, that shouldn't make a difference grin!!.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 13, 7:56*pm, Han wrote:
...snip...
Wood is a porous structure made of materials that are organic, and thus
many parts are suceptible to oxidation. *The porous structure would allow
molds to grow into the wood to various depth. *On other words, if the
mold has had a long time to grow on or in the wood, and of course
depending on the wood's porosity structure, it might take a long time for
the bleach to reach all of the mold's "tentacles". *By that time the
alkaline bleach might either have completely digested the wood, or lost
its strength while oxidizing all that organic wood material.
So I could understand the statement bleach can't kill the mold totally.

I hate it when these people 'assume' and then attribute those
characteristics to everything. The conclusion is bleach KILLS mold.
Mold on different surfaces is different.therefore bleach may kill mold
differently on those surfaces. Again, it is irritating to be told
bleach doesn't kill mold, when they have included other limiting
conditions WITHOUT delineating those conditions.

Another aspect is the dioxins. *These are complex organic molecules with
chlorine atoms covalently bound. *You'd get these because there are
complex organic molecules in the wood that could react with the chlorine
in the bleach. *Hence in some countries the use of bleach is restricted
or use is not recommended. *The brown coffee filters that are sold are
the result: *Paper is used that isn't bleached to prevent dioxins from
contaminating the filters AND "poison" you after they leach out of the
paper of the filter. *Of course since you may still be smoking
cigarettes, that shouldn't make a difference grin!!.

interestingly in my new microwave's manual, it says don't cover food
with paper towels that are from recycled paper, nor use paper plates
that are from recycled paper, because recycled paper contains metal
and will overheat. Say what?! Just how contaminated is this recycled
paper?

Hmmm...poisoned from bleach residue, or poisoned from ??? Let's see,
incurable tuberculosis, black mold, 'super' bacterias, ecoli,
salmonella, etc etc. I think I'll take my chances with the bleach
residue.