Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Macy[_2_] Robert Macy[_2_] is offline

Default Does Bleach Really Kill Mold?

On Mar 13, 7:56*pm, Han wrote:
...snip...
Wood is a porous structure made of materials that are organic, and thus
many parts are suceptible to oxidation. *The porous structure would allow
molds to grow into the wood to various depth. *On other words, if the
mold has had a long time to grow on or in the wood, and of course
depending on the wood's porosity structure, it might take a long time for
the bleach to reach all of the mold's "tentacles". *By that time the
alkaline bleach might either have completely digested the wood, or lost
its strength while oxidizing all that organic wood material.
So I could understand the statement bleach can't kill the mold totally.

I hate it when these people 'assume' and then attribute those
characteristics to everything. The conclusion is bleach KILLS mold.
Mold on different surfaces is different.therefore bleach may kill mold
differently on those surfaces. Again, it is irritating to be told
bleach doesn't kill mold, when they have included other limiting
conditions WITHOUT delineating those conditions.

Another aspect is the dioxins. *These are complex organic molecules with
chlorine atoms covalently bound. *You'd get these because there are
complex organic molecules in the wood that could react with the chlorine
in the bleach. *Hence in some countries the use of bleach is restricted
or use is not recommended. *The brown coffee filters that are sold are
the result: *Paper is used that isn't bleached to prevent dioxins from
contaminating the filters AND "poison" you after they leach out of the
paper of the filter. *Of course since you may still be smoking
cigarettes, that shouldn't make a difference grin!!.

interestingly in my new microwave's manual, it says don't cover food
with paper towels that are from recycled paper, nor use paper plates
that are from recycled paper, because recycled paper contains metal
and will overheat. Say what?! Just how contaminated is this recycled
paper?

Hmmm...poisoned from bleach residue, or poisoned from ??? Let's see,
incurable tuberculosis, black mold, 'super' bacterias, ecoli,
salmonella, etc etc. I think I'll take my chances with the bleach
residue.