Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air Conditioners

I have a Trane air conditioner that was installed in 2007. I did not buy the extended warranty. I have had it checked every spring ... and until last year there was no problem.

In April a technician came out and checked it -- spent a long time with it and also tried very hard to sell me on letting the company clean my dryer vents. I declined.

In June the a/c started running long periods and dripping water... the drain pipes were not clogged... the man who came out and diagnosed the problem said a valve was bad and that the refrigerant was over filled. He had to order the valve - and it took several days. He said the part rarely failed. Someone on this board told me later that "over-filling" could cause it to fail. Anyway, it has been working o.k. since then - until last week. (It costs me $1069 to fix). Last week it was hot and humid (Florida) and I turned it on... it started dripping water again, same as before. I turned it off -- the next day it was cold again and I used it to heat the house.

Yesterday I called the company and asked them to send someone out to check it (after making sure the part they put in was still under warranty). I asked the name of the techie coming out and when I found out it was the one who started this string of events I asked her not to send him. Went to the grocery store and he was working on an a/c one street over -- I recognized him. Anyway, my question is -- how long should a Trane last and when does it become unwise to fix it -- appreciate help with this. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 11:27*am, Dottie wrote:
I have a Trane air conditioner that was installed in 2007. *I did not buy the extended warranty. *I have had it checked every spring ... and until last year there was no problem.

In April a technician came out and checked it -- spent a long time with it and also tried very hard to sell me on letting the company clean my dryer vents. *I declined.

In June the a/c started running long periods and dripping water... the drain pipes were not clogged...

Where exactly was the water dripping from? The
evaporator? If yes and the drain pipe was not clogged,
then it sounds like a leak in the pan.....

the man who came out and diagnosed the problem said a valve was bad
and that the refrigerant was over filled.

I don't see how that results in water dripping.....

*He had to order the valve - and it took several days. *He said the
part rarely failed. *Someone on this board told me later that "over-
filling" could cause it to fail. *Anyway, it has been working o.k.
since then - until last week. *(It costs me $1069 to fix).

Assuming that "valve" is a TXV, that sounds like a very
high price.

*Last week it was hot and humid (Florida) and I turned it on... it
started dripping water again, same as before. *I turned it off -- the
next day it was cold again and I used it to heat the house.

Yesterday I called the company and asked them to send someone out to check it (after making sure the part they put in was still under warranty). *I asked the name of the techie coming out and when I found out it was the one who started this string of events I asked her not to send him. *Went to the grocery store and he was working on an a/c one street over -- I recognized him. *Anyway, my question is -- how long should a Trane last and when does it become unwise to fix it -- appreciate help with this. *Thanks.

It's hard to say how long anything lasts. It used to be that
AC eqpt lasted 25 years. I'd say now the consensus is
probably more like 15, but it's going to vary. Part of the
issue is whether it's installed right or not. There are plenty
of hack installers and it's easy to compromise a system.
Not using nitrogen when brazing, is one way to save a few
bucks, do a hack job and later the system stops working
because the debris formed utlimately clogs the TXV.

I'd ask around and see if you can find another HVAC
company that people recommend. Check them out on
the BBB too. Get them to give you an opinion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I posted earlier and the message was deleted ... don't know why.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/28/2013 10:27 AM, Dottie wrote:
[...]

Trane produces very good equipment and if installed and maintained
properly should last for many years without trouble. I would definitely
be suspicious of a $1,069.00 repair bill which leads n=me to believe
the service company is taking advantage of you. I actually went to a
deposition where a friend of mine was suing a service company that
sabotaged one of his elderly mother's AC units. I repaired it for his
mother at cost which was well under the $3,000.00 price the crooks gave
her. Me and my friends in the service business don't like crooks who
take advantage of older folks. O_o

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 08:27:29 -0800 (PST), Dottie
wrote:

[...]

I think the shortest I've ever had one last was 12 years. It was a
cheap unit I put on a rental. I've got a Goetel Unit on a rental that
is 42 years old and still chugging away. At one time I had a rental
with a Carrier unit that was so old it was a cast iron compressor with
heads like you see on "real" air compressors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie wrote:
[...]

Inasmuch as you're in Florida, did the technician try to sell you some swamp
land?

An air conditioner cannot drip water. Water is not involved in the a/c
piping system. Period.

What CAN happen refers to the condensate where warm, humid, air is cooled
and the cooled air releases moisture.

The way an air conditioning SYSTEM often works - at least around here - is
to capture this water and drain it into the house sanitary sewer system. But
that drain can get clogged. Manufacturer's know this and almost always
install a pan beneath the condensing unit to catch the water that can't make
it down the house drain. This pan, in turn, has a separate drain, usually to
the outside of the house.

In a catastrophic situation, here's the drill:
1. The primary drain (to the house sanitary system) clogs up.
2. Condensation then moves to the fail-safe backup pan.
3. Eventually, this pan/drain combo clogs up and the moisture overflows the
pan.
4. If the condensing unit/pan is in the attic... goll-eey what a mess!

Well, what causes the clogs and how do you fix/prevent it?

The "clog" is almost always a big blob of algae. It's quite soft and can be
removed by air pressure (just blow down the pipe) or a snake. Prevention is
almost as easy. Here's how.

At the top of the condensing unit, just before the ductwork begins branching
out, drill a 1/2" hole. At the start of each a/c season, pour a cup of
household bleach into the hole (a funnel helps). Plug the hole with a cork
or duct tape. The bleach kills the algae/fungi/mold/mushrooms or whatever is
growing in the pipe.

This latter is one of the easiest DIY jobs.

Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 15:44:41 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

[...]

Agree. I live in the desert. This past summer there were days high
in humility, the outside condensate line dripped fairly rapidly (fast
drops of water).

My drain pan is in the attic, however, it has a sensor alarm to detect
water before a disaster. crosses fingers

The OP has not stated where the water is located or coming from - the
line or the pan.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

My guess is that the evaporator coil is freezing up into a giant ice ball, causing it to drip water all over the air handler when it thaws. This is usually caused by either the unit being undercharged and/or poor airflow through the coil, or if someone setting the thermostat too low. It could also happen if the air conditioner is allowed to run for extended times when it is too cold outside, or under certain conditions, if the unit is overcharged.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The tech trying to "sell you on" speaks volumes. Time to find a different
service company. Most AC systems run 15 plus years, with maintenance.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

air conditioners Dottie Home Repair 22 October 5th 12 07:56 PM
Air Conditioners Dottie Home Repair 8 September 8th 07 02:54 AM
Car Air Conditioners [email protected] Home Repair 0 August 16th 07 04:18 PM
Air conditioners HARRY BUCKLEY Home Repair 6 July 12th 06 03:11 PM
new air conditioners stevie Home Repair 10 August 15th 05 04:37 PM