Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air Conditioners

The various companies that sell Trane and Carrier a/cs in my area are
advertising a lot. They are offering rebates. My system is 15 years
old for the outside unit and 7 years old for the air handler in the
garage. It is working o.k. now but I am tempted by these offers.
Does anyone here work in this field and can you tell me if there is
much difference in quality between Trane and Carrier. Will one
outlast the other? Trane cost more, at least it did the last time I
checked. Will Trane last longer? What are some questions I should
ask when I start shopping?

Posted to alt.home.repair

There is Cheap, Reasonable, Innovative and Outragous.
Carrier are the Fords of the air conditioning Industry. They
give you a well engineered product with generous backup
which can be serviced by any company you choose. Trane
are BEAN counters that not only make service exclusive to
a small number of favoured company's but alsio price their
units above Carrier without any discernable increase in
quality Innovation belongs to company's like Mitsubishi and
Daikin

"Dottie" wrote in message
ups.com...
The various companies that sell Trane and Carrier a/cs in my area are
advertising a lot. They are offering rebates. My system is 15 years
old for the outside unit and 7 years old for the air handler in the
garage. It is working o.k. now but I am tempted by these offers.
Does anyone here work in this field and can you tell me if there is
much difference in quality between Trane and Carrier. Will one
outlast the other? Trane cost more, at least it did the last time I
checked. Will Trane last longer? What are some questions I should
ask when I start shopping?

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Dottie" wrote in message
ups.com...
The various companies that sell Trane and Carrier a/cs in my area are
advertising a lot. They are offering rebates. My system is 15 years
old for the outside unit and 7 years old for the air handler in the
garage. It is working o.k. now but I am tempted by these offers.
Does anyone here work in this field and can you tell me if there is
much difference in quality between Trane and Carrier. Will one
outlast the other? Trane cost more, at least it did the last time I
checked. Will Trane last longer? What are some questions I should
ask when I start shopping?

Are they going to do a load calculation to correctly size your new unit?
Are they going to make sure your ducting is adequate for proper operation?
Are they going to pull the required permits (if required in your area) to
install your new unit?
Are they going to have it inspected?
Do they stock parts and offer emergency service?
Do they have a preventative maintenance program?
Do they offer a 10 year parts and labor warranty?

Which one will last longer?
The one that's properly sized, installed and set-up to operate with-in the
manufacture's specifications.

In the end, find the best company you can find and have them install the
brand they offer.
Shopping by brand will normally get you a system that will provide you with
years of trouble and headaches.

And you can take that to the bank! :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie wrote:
The various companies that sell Trane and Carrier a/cs in my area are
advertising a lot. They are offering rebates. My system is 15 years
old for the outside unit and 7 years old for the air handler in the
garage. It is working o.k. now but I am tempted by these offers.
Does anyone here work in this field and can you tell me if there is
much difference in quality between Trane and Carrier. Will one
outlast the other? Trane cost more, at least it did the last time I
checked. Will Trane last longer? What are some questions I should
ask when I start shopping?

First of all make sure they do a heat load on your home.

You would be surprised that when your older system was installed you may not
need or need a bigger system.

A heat load will tell you what size system you need.
--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 6, 6:42 pm, "Moe Jones" wrote:
Dottie wrote:
[...]

First, the two companies I plan on getting an estimate from are
reputable companies. One did my neighbor's house and did all the
things mentioned ... the other is the one I have dealt with before and
I was satisfied with their service. Consumer Protection (my county)
shows they have good records. I have found that I can forget the
rebates because they are only available on the most expensive
systems. I have to choose between a 1300 SEER (est. $4300) and a 1400
SEER ($5 to $6000) for Trane, haven't checked price for Carrier.
Before getting an estimate I need to know if the energy savings cost
would justify buying the higher SEER and do Trane and Carrier perform
about the same over the long haul? Does one break down more? That
sort of thing. Thanks. (I now have a 3-ton, 15 yr old Goodman which
is still working and a 5 yr old Carrier air handler. My neighbor's
new 3 1/2 ton Trane 1300 SEER cools his house fine and the houses are
about the same size).

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Dottie" wrote in message
ups.com...

Before getting an estimate I need to know if the energy savings cost
would justify buying the higher SEER

Would depend on your location and utility costs.

and do Trane and Carrier perform
about the same over the long haul?

Did you miss my first post?
It's going to depend on the installation, so hire the best qualified
company!

Does one break down more? That
sort of thing.

Yep, the one that's installed by the hack using mis-matched equipment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"Dottie" wrote in message
ups.com...

Before getting an estimate I need to know if the energy savings cost
would justify buying the higher SEER

Would depend on your location and utility costs.

and do Trane and Carrier perform
about the same over the long haul?

Did you miss my first post?
It's going to depend on the installation, so hire the best qualified
company!

Does one break down more? That
sort of thing.

Yep, the one that's installed by the hack using mis-matched equipment.

It's likely that she did miss your first post, since other than your
Nemesis, Clark, there's only three people left in the entire world that
haven't killfiled you and who still actually open your posts at all.

Regardless of your knowledge, using the word "asshole" more than 7000
times in any calendar month qualifies you as an A-list curmudgeon. Many
people don't have any interest in listening to the type of **** that you
often espouse. It often lacks meaningful content, but when it does have
that, it's often phrased in such an unpleasant fashion that it actually
irritates the reader.

I'm sure you don't treat your customers that way; or you wouldn't have
any. It's odd that you find it acceptable behavior on usenet.

As to your current response, did *you* read *her* post? Both companies
are highly competent and reputable, period.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie wrote:
[...]

When they run the heat load and depending on what software they use, the
software can show you the difference in operating cost of each system and
the correct size you will need. Even though your neighbor has the same size
house you would surprised if someone has allot of house plants, ceiling
fans, water beds and the like ,how that can really add up to heat gain to
your home.

And remember when they run their software you tell them what comfort zone
you want. I mean the temperature you want to live with. 72 degrees or 75
degrees during the summer and what temp you want for the winter.

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
It's likely that she did miss your first post, since other than your
Nemesis, Clark, there's only three people left in the entire world that
haven't killfiled you and who still actually open your posts at all.

Funny how you're still reading them.

Regardless of your knowledge, using the word "asshole" more than 7000

Asshole!

****off, asshole!